Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Megaupload Shut Down
Globe & Mail. Looks like they mean business.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Quote:Mr. Dotcom, a resident of both Hong Kong and New Zealand, and a dual citizen of Finland and Germany, made more than $42-million from the conspiracy in 2010 alone, according to the indictment.

"Mr. Dotcom"? Really?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Looks like the US government is acting as Hollywood's agent. Big surprise there.
Swizz Beatz is Megaupload's CEO. Unlike the average file sharer, these guys have the funds to defend themselves. Also worth noting is the fact the Megaupload removed files when a copyright holder requested it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were found 'Not Guilty'. Usenet is the safest method of download files.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Great to live in a free country where the state confiscates assets and later on might give them a trial.

Glad we're not messed up like Iran or Russia or China.
I agree with the import of this article. Even if there are reasonable causes, our government is an inveterate power monger and will use this to do more than protect Hollywood profit margins:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NA21Ak02.html
The new frontier internet is a good example to demonstrate what happens to "the freer the better". Left to it's own rules and designed to have no government or any other control, there is but one market place (ebay), one bookstore (amazon), one social network (facebook), one search engine (google), one library (wikipedia), and so forth. Competition is sin.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
imho Richard O'Dwyer of TVShack (another foreign site that got shut down by US authorities with much less media attention than megaupload) is in much deeper s.h.i.t than Kim Dotcom; the poor British kid doesn't seem to have the kind of money you need nowadays to defend against Hollywood.