Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Long is a Piece of String?
Here's an entertaining journey to the most recent knowledge in maths, physics, quantum mechanics, and philosophy; in particular the insight that we create reality by observation. Make it a custom to check if the BBC has made something about any subject you want to learn about.

"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. We've been enjoying our BBC subscription. We watch more Gordon Ramsey than anything else, but stuff like this is pretty common on that channel.
[Image: 760.png]
Well, it certainly is possible that the BBC has some meaningful stuff on it,

but its bias is so severe that pretty much anything they say about the climate is highly suspect

and it is reasonable to question the accuracy of anything they produce.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(01-13-2012, 01:34 AM)quadrat Wrote: Here's an entertaining journey to the most recent knowledge in maths, physics, quantum mechanics, and philosophy; in particular the insight that we create reality by observation. Make it a custom to check if the BBC has made something about any subject you want to learn about.

Yes, very entertaining if you have the taste for the complexities that intellectuals introduce into mundane matters. A bit like Alice in Wonderland it would seem.

Other versions of such intellectuals would seek to run our gummint and lives, which is not so entertaining. The banking/finance/investing system is full of them, for example and they have hornswaggled the politicians.

Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
(01-13-2012, 08:41 AM)JohnWho Wrote: Well, it certainly is possible that the BBC has some meaningful stuff on it,

but its bias is so severe that pretty much anything they say about the climate is highly suspect

and it is reasonable to question the accuracy of anything they produce.

BBC might have just the right stuff for you. The Battle Begins. Episode 1. Dr Iain Stewart traces the history of climate change from its very beginning and examines just how the scientific community managed to get it so very wrong back in the Seventies. Along the way he uncovers some of the great unsung heroes of climate change science, and introduces us to a secret organisation of American government scientists, known as Jason, who wrote the first official report on global warming as far back as 1979.

I'm sure you'll be hooked and find the other two episodes yourself, so here only the introductions.

Episode 2. Dr Iain Stewart investigates the counter attack that was launched by the global warming sceptics in the 1990s. At the start of the 1990s it seemed the world was united. At the Rio Earth summit the world signed up to a programme of action to start tackling climate change. Even George Bush was there. But the consensus didn't last. Iain interviews some of the key global warming sceptics, and discovers how their positions have changed over time.

Episode 3. New Challenges: Having explained the science behind global warming, and addressed the arguments of the climate change sceptics earlier in the series, in this third and final part Dr Iain Stewart looks at the biggest challenge now facing climate scientists. Just how can they predict exactly what changes global warming will bring? Its a journey that takes him from early attempts to model the climate system with dishpans, to supercomputers, and to the frontline of climate research today: Greenland.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Yep, Q - that falls right in line with what I was talking about.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!