Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti Battery Car Article

Never thought of getting stranded in a storm.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoodhil...-bad-idea/
The Bamster will not care because you will only see him in one for propaganda purposes only.

After all, he is of the elite. And elitists don't have to practice what they preach, right? S5
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
Yea, I bet none of those folks buy one or leave their families in one. Like Gore flying around the world in private jets preaching about CO2 emissions.
I guess it's a way to level the playing field. If only the rich can afford adequate transportation, then the proles will have no choice but to rely on mass transit and the Gubmint to get to and from their gulags...
[Image: 760.png]
The way I see it, Electric cars are cars meant for the city and for the people who don't travel outside the city that much. They're good for that purpose. However, they're not suited to long-term traveling outside the city, or traveling in harsh weather.

That's when you want a second vehicle... one that's more sturdier and more suited to traveling in the countryside and in harsh weather. one that's powered by gas. of course, for most people they might find it cheaper to only have the gas-powered car instead of owning a electric car.
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!
I fully agree with this article.
Electric cars are a no-go as replacement for normal cars.
If they cost twice less than a gas car, then one could think about it. Not if they cost twice more.

In France where they also want to promote electric car, they took a more intelligent step: Public rental.
Poeple can go a rent an electric car for a few hours. If the battery runs out, they come back to a rental center and pick up another one.
These cars are used only in the city where reduced air pollution and noise makes sens. They started an experiment in Paris a few weeks back.

It's the same concept as bike rental. Just more confortable.
That's an interesting observation from Forbes. With a gasoline car, you can keep the heater running while you are stuck in the snow waiting for traffic to move. Never fear. The next infrastructure project to be proposed by BHO et al will be to put charging stations every 10 feet along the highways connecting DC to the 'burbs. Just imagine how many people that would put to work, thus ending the unemployment problem. Naturally, these will be supplied with power by solar and windmills. Problem solved.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Another solution is a windmill on the roof of every electric car. As they move, the turbine produce electricity recharging the battery. LOL!
Yes, let's repeal the second law of thermodynamics. Life would be so much easier.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Or let's believe in discoveries of engine consuming no energy or very little or even producing more energy than they consume.
[Image: 68595642.jpg]
What does California do when this sales level isn't achieved? Do they sue the manufacturers?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/...latestnews
Patrick, note that this is all a bit down the highway. Time enough for the current crop of politicians to have retired, become rich off of contacts, thought up a good excuse, or just possibly have the law repealed. Politicians think differently from the overwhelming majority of humans.

This reminds me of the famous story of teaching the horse to sing. Why expect results today, when you can put it off for later. And who knows, by the due date the horse may really learn to sing. S5
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
Oil is not going to last much longer. In your lifetime, you will see gas become first unaffordable, then unobtainable. There is simply no choice but to find new ways to keep mobile, and the economies running. Was a nice party with oil, but the curtain is dropping.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
You know, I wouldn't mind an ecologically conscious vehicle if they didn't all look like clown cars and offer crap performance. Tesla Motors has it right, (maybe?) with looks but the price is outrageous and only the super wealthy can afford these things.

That Fox article sounds like more intrusion into our lives by forcing us to buy expensive clown cars by way of manipulating the free market. The savings they boast have been proven to be bullshit by many that have these cars already and I guarantee you the cost of repairs is going to double. Around here a good mechanic gets $106 / hour for labor alone, plus the markup on parts. You can't get your own parts and bring them to the mechanic either. I don't see many DIY for this for a very long time to come as well.
What about the cost of electricity to plug the thing in at night? How much do they eat? I know that eats into that $6K savings they boast.

I'm sure if they want to bring more people buying these things they can make them affordable, better performing and more attractive. The way they look now, they might as well sell them painted with polka dots and stripes.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
The Tesla Car company strategy was to make a sexy sports car to forge customer identification before venturing into the less costly generic brands where they thought long term profits could be made. The initial offering was all about projection. They didn't have a battery platform that would work, and made a pledge to honor all breakdowns and replacements to the lithium computer packs they strapped together until a real power source could come to fruition. The Tesla has a 300+ mile driving range and a 0-60 acceleration in four seconds. Not too stodgy.

Dow Kokum is probably the platform that wins out in the end. Their batteries appear to have the staying power and size needed to answer most of the questions. They may power the Tesla cars of the future, and most of the oter ventures that come along.
Well, I'll stick with my gas guzzling Mustang and enjoy driving it until either I die or it dies. It's affordable, good looking and fun.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
(02-05-2012, 10:25 PM)WmLambert Wrote: The Tesla Car company strategy was to make a sexy sports car to forge customer identification before venturing into the less costly generic brands where they thought long term profits could be made. The initial offering was all about projection. They didn't have a battery platform that would work, and made a pledge to honor all breakdowns and replacements to the lithium computer packs they strapped together until a real power source could come to fruition. The Tesla has a 300+ mile driving range and a 0-60 acceleration in four seconds. Not too stodgy.

Dow Kokum is probably the platform that wins out in the end. Their batteries appear to have the staying power and size needed to answer most of the questions. They may power the Tesla cars of the future, and most of the oter ventures that come along.

Not exactly. Their strategy is to screw costumers whose wealth is reversed proportional to their brains. They take a tested small English sports car (Lotus) which costs maybe $20,000 in your country, remove the gas engine, stuff it with laptop batteries and an electric motor, lie about the capacity (a single acceleration 0-60 in four seconds shortens the range to 50 or so miles), give the thing a new paint, and sell it for $ 80,000.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Save for the tesla which is about €50,000 here ($60,000), all electric cars are tiny ones sold for more than €20,000 ($25,000) and these prices are AFTER eco-bonus subsidies.
Nobody dares say the price without subsidies. It will be like solar panel: The market will collapse instantly once subsidies end.

These cars are too expensives. Their only advantage is for driving in urban areas. But only if there is no subway. In cities like Paris or London, a car is handicap. You do faster with the tube.

I'm sure these cars can be sold for less than gasoline cars and they would still make money.
The bateries are expensives but the mecanic parts are much cheaper. Batteries don't cost $15,000.

On top of that, Peugeot is selling the electric cord separately: $500 (€400).
Talking of a rip off!
Batteries cost $15,000 and cords cost $500 only until the cost of R&D is amortized across the marketplace, and enough sales are generated to make prices reasonable. If quality never reach a salable position, then the product will fail. Tesla designed a product that would look hot and generate interest. Dow Kokam went in the opposite direction, to design a product that would be cost effective - and surpass the qualitative requirements.
Battery dies, two days in row in the Lincoln tunnel.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones.