Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mammoth back in 5 years?
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/315513

How long before we are allowed to hunt them down?
Sodomia delenda est

Good. So we can get rid of this whole endangered species list now, right?
[Image: 760.png]
What we should be doing is collecting DNA samples of everything on the list (and in fact, everything period).

Sodomia delenda est

Heh, kind of like a genetic Noah's Ark...
[Image: 760.png]
mv Wrote:How long before we are allowed to hunt them down?
Tait, prepare elephant ammos boxes...! You gonna get business.
As it was with Sputnik, so it will be with Mammoth cloning. Expect the US to goose up biological education. Departments of Biology Education will be formed and burgeon. The outcome of the pedagogy will be known as the New Biology, as the goose up in math after sputnik was known as the New Math. Many of you probably know how well the New Math clarified things.

Next expect the US to scramble to get its own mammoth marrow in Alaska and fund teams of biologists to clone a bigger and better mammoth than the Russian mammoth to be.

Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Funny I cannot figure out if jt's post was sarcasm or a sincere prediction... S6
Sodomia delenda est

Human behavior being what it is, it is hard to tell.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
The quote from the Huffington post is incorrect, and typical of the Einstein journalists there.

Quote:"The success rate in the cloning of cattle was poor until recently, but now stands at about 30 percent. I think we have a reasonable chance of success and a healthy mammoth could be born in four or five years."

That is of course, a journalist demonstrating that he/she is a scientific reprobate. That is not how the process will work. What the genius should have stated was that there is a reasonable chance that a half elephant/half mammoth could be born in four or five years.

If the DNA of a mammoth is inserted into the elephant egg, the result is a 50/50 split. Then when the female offspring develops eggs, they are reimplanted with 100% mammoth DNA, and the offspring is 25/75 elephant/mammoth. This will continue two more times until the offspring are only 17/18th mammoth, which is pure for all intents and purposes. But this will entail about five generations to accomplish it.

Now, if only we could clone a journalist with a higher degree of common sense. S13
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
Quote:If the DNA of a mammoth is inserted into the elephant egg, the result is a 50/50 split.

No, the result is 100% mammoth nuclear DNA. Mitochondrial DNA comes from elephant, but this is immaterial.

(You are making a mistake thinking that they intend to fertilize a constructed mammoth gamete ... they don't, they intend to produce a zygote.)

And the idea of a mammoth-elephant hybrid may not even work - hybrids are funny, some species hybridize, some don't, but this is not what they are doing anyway.
Sodomia delenda est

I would be more concerned about their belief that the DNA is defect-free... but I guess you would not know until you tried.

The other questionable assumption is that elephants are cattle enough for the techniques to work... but then one needs to try and then possibly adjust the techniques.

(This 50/50 thing John was talking about: it is not the case with Mammoth/Elephants... but it is exactly right for something I'm very likely be doing in the near future.... a very tempting thing to do, but I know I will be condemned if I do it and succeed.)
Sodomia delenda est

Why tease us? What are you going to do now? I hope you have sedative and the proper stuff if you're going to inseminate animals.
Not teasing at all, this is fish-related and much less exciting therefore. If interested, I'll explain.
Sodomia delenda est

May as well. I want to know what you're doing and why it would bring down widespread condemnation on your head.
I didn't know it was already possible to create a nucleus off non-reproductive cells, like bone cells.
But that will make a 100% mamoth indeed. But how the egg will be fertilized then?
This issue came up when Jurassic Park came out. Everybody was looking for mosquitoes in amber. The trouble with storing genetic material that is thousands of years old - is that you can't be sure the experimental material will work. You basically need to create a creature from recovered genetic sources, and after it has been successfully created, its genetic material can then be harvested, with a good chance of storage potential.

Dolly, the first cloned sheep was not truly successful. She was not the same as naturally-born sheep. Most research always mentions short life-expectancy, and reproductive problems. What we need is more successful cloning to perfect the procedure. Thirty years ago, a scientific hypothesis was floated around to create cloned sub-humans for organ harvesting. I know skin has been cloned over and over again - and one batch of grafted skin from the same source now weighs in collectively at several tons. I once read in a trivia column that this skin qualifies as the largest living thing in existence, larger than the creosote complex, the Great Basin bristlecone, commonly referred to as the oldest living thing.
I have read that DNA degrades with time, which seems reasonable to me. For example, this makes archaeological use of DNA rather difficult, except as a broad indicator. If this is correct, and considering WmL's observation (fact) about cloned sheep (livestock cloning does NOT work reliably), one would have to be surprised if a viable mammoth were produced. In addition, the DNA may have degraded so far that if a viable beast were produced, one could not be sure how well it replicated actual mammoths.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/2...tists-say/
Sodomia delenda est

[Image: 757-8X4Gt.AuSt.55.jpeg]
Russian researchers Wrote:they have discovered a perfectly preserved woolly mammoth carcass
link
LOL S2
perfectly preserved --- hmm.... something wrong with my eyes, I guess S4
Sodomia delenda est

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Return of the Wolly Mammoth? John L 53 12,907 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Last Post: quadrat
  Mammoth! mv 24 4,674 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Fredledingue