Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No it's not a joke: Quote from Ferrari President
Daniel Gross | Daily Ticker Wrote:Ferrari just turned its best half year in history, with revenues up nearly 20 percent from the year before.....
And the U.S., its largest market, is booming.

If the rich have done well in the past few years, the extremely rich have done extremely well. Ferrari North America President Marco Mattiacci notes that the number of high net-worth individuals grew last year and is back to the level of 2007.
Ferrari North America President Marco Mattiacci Wrote:What has changed is that people now want to spend, they want to enjoy life

Yeah S15: Everybody's happy!

link
Stats I've seen do show our profit levels increasing over here and we're spending for new technical P&E, we're also laying off humans.

I think in the USA the technology plus the cost benefit ratio when ObamaCare is added in = investing in machines and not humans who are covered by ObamaCare.
I actually saw a Maserati on the road two days ago.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
I am spending more on luxury stuff.
My money wont be worth anything soon, so might as well enjoy it now.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Quote:investing in machines and not humans who are covered by ObamaCare.

The flaw in that thinking is that someone has to fix those machines.
Buy your Ferrari now before the new mileage standards go into effect (and before the startling new inflation). Soon we will be driving the automotive equivalent of a CFL.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Bike shops are going to become real popular soon.
(08-03-2011, 02:51 PM)Joan Wrote: I actually saw a Maserati on the road two days ago.
You should come down here. You will see a lot of high end cars.

Actually 5 years ago, there were a LOT more. Some of the places I would frequent had like 10-20 $150,000+ cars in front. Today its more like 1-2.

I think it's why there are a lot of short sells today. I look and many of these people took out massive additional loans against their homes when they shot up in value.
"If people weren't so hypocritical, they would donate more of their time and their money to directly help their causes. Instead they want the government to force me to give them my time and my money." - Catpiss, The Great
Now, the less exclusive cars in front of it, the less the home has value. LOL.
Huh,

I sincerely believe ObamaCare is the "cost of business" straw that broke the camel's back.

If we removed that program, business might start hiring, especially small business. As it is, they can contract out repairs and save that way, too.
How does Obamacare affect employement cost (versus prior to Obamacare)
(08-07-2011, 01:41 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: How does Obamacare affect employement cost (versus prior to Obamacare)

Here's how:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/09/2...N520100927

It's murder on individual employees as well ... effectively, it's part of the reason that our wages are decreasing even as living cost are on the rise. My employer is paying more and my health care premium is sucking up more of my paycheck(and my employer is quite generous with regards to health benefits) ... in other words the cost of employing people is increasing and compensation for our efforts is declining ... no wonder hiring is so thin ...

Our Employment to Population ratio was already shrinking ... we are rapidly converging with Europe ... but that probably sounds like upsie to you doesn't it Fred? S1

[Image: GEW_5F00_NYFEDEmplGap.jpg]

That's an old set of stats ... thanks to ObamaCare and the <finger quote> recovery <unfingerquote> I think the current level is somewhere around 58% ...
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
From mr_yak's link:

Quote:The Hewitt report said changes such as allowing adult children to stay on their parents' plans until age 26 and barring insurance companies from denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions contributed about 1 percent to 2 percent of the total increase, or $8 to $16.

S13

"Obamacare" isn't doing shit yet.
The rightist motto: "Facts?... we don't need no stinkin facts."

[Image: Obama08_Logo150.gif]
(08-10-2011, 03:06 AM)Buzz Wrote: "Obamacare" isn't doing shit yet.
No fecal matter whatsoever? You err. Regulations are being written as we speak, and they frighten.

Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Obamacare currently lowers the cost of doing business allowing for companies to maintain their profits and/or spend.

Unfortunately, Obamacare excludes small business owners. For some reason they felt small business owners don't matter.
"If people weren't so hypocritical, they would donate more of their time and their money to directly help their causes. Instead they want the government to force me to give them my time and my money." - Catpiss, The Great
(08-10-2011, 05:41 PM)I Am The Great Catpiss! Wrote: Obamacare currently lowers the cost of doing business allowing for companies to maintain their profits and/or spend.

Unfortunately, Obamacare excludes small business owners. For some reason they felt small business owners don't matter.

That is because those businesses are not paying off politicians the countless millions in 'protection money', like some of the largest ones.

That is how Fascism functions. You pay off politicians and they regulate things to your advantage, and to your competitor's disadvantage. The 'little people' may be equal before the law, but others are More Equal.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
(08-10-2011, 05:41 PM)I Am The Great Catpiss! Wrote: Obamacare currently lowers the cost of doing business allowing for companies to maintain their profits and/or spend.

Are you capable of reading or interpreting facts?? Buzz indicated that one tiny chunk of ObamaCare caused an actual increase in costs ... (he poo poos it because apparently he doesn't consider a few extra bucks out of his pocket or his employers significant and completely ignores other provisions that significantly boost the cost of insurance). For an increasing number of folks a few extra bucks of increase actually matters. Apparently he's never worked retail where tiny fractions of a percent of margin make the difference between profit and bankruptcy. I gave you a statistic that indicates that it increases cost and you read that it lowers cost. Frankly this is an indictment of our education system as you appear to be illiterate. Buzz is disingenuous ... but at least he demonstrates a rudimentary education ... often he is actually pretty clever ... admitting that could get me censured ... but in this case I'll go out on a limb. S4
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(08-10-2011, 11:20 PM)mr_yak Wrote:

Are you capable of reading or interpreting facts?? Buzz indicated that one tiny chunk of ObamaCare caused an actual increase in costs ... (he poo poos it because apparently he doesn't consider a few extra bucks out of his pocket or his employers significant and completely ignores other provisions that significantly boost the cost of insurance). For an increasing number of folks a few extra bucks of increase actually matters. Apparently he's never worked retail where tiny fractions of a percent of margin make the difference between profit and bankruptcy. I gave you a statistic that indicates that it increases cost and you read that it lowers cost. Frankly this is an indictment of our education system as you appear to be illiterate. Buzz is disingenuous ... but at least he demonstrates a rudimentary education ... often he is actually pretty clever ... admitting that could get me censured ... but in this case I'll go out on a limb. S4
I know the facts. I run small businesses.

To be fair I should have said some small businesses with pre-existing health plans. If I am already covering health insurance, then the tax credit helps.

Oh, here's another piece of crap. If I hire any of my family as employees, I can't get a tax credit for them. You probably wont ever hear about the penalty for hiring family members on the msm.
(08-10-2011, 11:20 PM)mr_yak Wrote:

I don't think you are seeing the whole picture. There are 1000 different facets to this issue. just looking at things from a microeconomic view is missing several macroeconomic factors that are just as important.

First, the goal of the health care reform bill (calling it Obamacare is stupid) is not primarily to reduce costs, it's to cover more people. Some increase in costs were expected.

It's really a very very complex issue with multiple effects on the economy, both positive and negative. The ultimate effect of this reform I think is yet to be determined. Some overall increase in cost is probable. You are moving the demand curve. That has an effect no matter what.

Some positive effects that nobody considers:
The problem of adverse selection is essentially solved by the individual mandate. If everyone is required to participate in the system, it spreads costs out over a wider pool and prevents the best risks from selecting themselves out of the system. While increasing costs for those who would not have otherwise purchased insurance, it has the potential to reduce costs for everyone else, especially those who most need the insurance.

Secondly, everyone needs health care at some point. Whether they say they want it now or not. At some point in your life you will need something. If it's major chances are you won't be able to afford it. Today people in that situation go bankrupt. That has a ripple effect and it's not a good one. If you eliminate all of those bankruptcies you create a positive economic effect.

What we really need to do is unmarry medical insurance from employment. That marriage is dysfunctional and should have ended a long time ago. In fact the only reason health insurance is tied to employment is because of government wage controls put in place after the great depression. Hows that for the law of unintended consequences?
(08-11-2011, 05:08 PM)WickedLou9 Wrote: What we really need to do is unmarry medical insurance from employment. That marriage is dysfunctional and should have ended a long time ago. In fact the only reason health insurance is tied to employment is because of government wage controls put in place after the great depression. Hows that for the law of unintended consequences?

Sure that was part of it, but the real problem is everyone expects someone else to pay. If you were employed it got covered by your health insurance, if you're old it gets covered by Medicare ... if your poor it's Medicaid. When I started working there were no co-pays ... you went to the doctor ... and somebody paid the bill. When no one pays attention to the bill, no one really pays attention to the costs ... and the costs are skyrocketing at maybe 4-5X the rate of inflation (which is sorely underreported). On some level, we need to start writing more of the checks ourselves ... we've been divorced from paying the real bill for too long ... it's difficult to determine the value of something when you aren't engaged in picking up the tab ... my kid's Pediatrician used to be out of network and as a result I had to cover the bill with my own check on each visit ... and then a miraculous thing occurred ... what used to get billed as $150 a visit got billed at $65. The doc got his cash, avoided hassles, goofy paperwork and and all the inflated bullsh*t costs that no one really thinks twice about paying, cuz when "sombody else" is cutting the check who cares? The Federal Government cuts most of the checks for healthcare in this country ... nearly a quarter of the federal budget goes toward Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP ... with billion$ more going into tax subsidies ... so is it any wonder that costs are ballooning??

(08-11-2011, 01:44 AM)I Am The Great Catpiss! Wrote: I know the facts. I run small businesses.

Then why on earth would you say that ObamaCare reduces costs? I work for a small business. My health care premiums have always gone up, but last year they went into hyperdrive. I fully expect it to be worse when we get the news this year. Are you really honestly expecting your cost and your employee's costs to to go down?? Really?

-- Henry Mencken