Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atlas Shrugged
Finally, after decades,

And William F. Buckley
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

It appears it will be a Trilogy implying they'll use about 6 hours to get it all in.

Will enough folks go to Part 1 for the remainder to get released?

Is that the queston?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
There are only two theaters in my area showing it.
It was made on the cheap, so maybe that will be sufficient.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
One thing is certain. Atlas Shrugged is the biggest selling novel of all time, just right behind the bible, which is not fiction, regardless what "Q" will tell us.

The total number of annual sales means that the movie should rub off into a true cult film.

Now, I have to make a confession. I have never read Atlas Shrugged. I have never considered myself an Objectionist, because her rather militant atheism turned me off. But taking that one thing away, I agree with her "Individualism" philosophy almost entirely.

What is it with those Damned G-dless Ashkenazis? I'm continually amazed there are so many of them who do not "Practice". It's almost like some kind of a Social Disease with them. If anything is going to destroy the Jewish people it is going to be their lack of religious faith.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I want to see it but hubby and I just got into "Rift" so we'll need a crowbar to get us away from the computer.

We'll def catch it on cable though.

I've read the book twice. I love it. And the first half of the book is by far the best. That's the point that really builds the frustration at how things are. It's a perfect mirror of today's society. It's funny, but the first time I read, my brain was shouting to do what their ultimate solution actually was. (is that vague enough to avoid the spoiler tag? I think so.)

I believe Lisa is an Objectivist and she's Orthodox. I don't know how she reconciles the two. You'd have to ask her.

For me, however, reading Rand is what got me to finally realize that, no matter how much I WISH there was a god, all the wishing in the world doesn't make it so. (There were MANY other factors, of course, but Rand tied it all together logically. And, if you're curious, the gay thing did NOT enter into it.)

Pix
Gay never enters into it until you want it to with me.

I just prefer to avoid the frustration of knowing the obvious solutions and such and despite common knowledge, no one cares or they do the opposite. So meh, probably won't see it. Or I might, dunno, depends if I feel like spending 6.50 or not.
Definitely worth seeing. I'm visiting my son for his birthday in Tennessee this weekend, and we plan on going together to see it. We have to go to Nashville, though, because the local theatres aren't running it.
William,

I thought your son lived in Nashville?
You can stop by at the Palladin house. Don't let the skulls and stuff at the entrance of the cave put you off though.
Those skulls are currently used for the drinking of wine,they aren't threatening. All cleaned out.
Nevermind, it's just a family of winos.

I would most certainly drop in on you if I was ever stationed at Ft Campbell or something.
Yea,with my daughter in Nashville,we could easily meet up. Clarksville and Nashville,not so far apart.
Palladin Wrote:Yea,with my daughter in Nashville,we could easily meet up. Clarksville and Nashville,not so far apart.

Yea, sadly, not to be anytime soon though I still have friends who are now in Campbell now. Maybe someday - I plan on traveling TN eventually, especially for the grand ol' opery. I know where you live.
PJTV discusses the movie, and it's moral theme.

Paul Simon panned the heck out of the flick. He said Rand would hate it,said the script was awful and "save us from part's 1&2"!
Who is he? Probably a hack?
[Image: lb0420cd20110419075003.jpg]

Tait,

I meant Roger Simon. No hack,he's a very bright conservative writer.

He just felt the movie script was awful and that Rand would have disliked it herself.
I have mixed feelings about upholding Ayn Rand as some sort of heroine. Her notions about wealth and politics basically got her killed by one of her followers, who thought she had some gold in the trunk of her car, or something like that. Just showed that her philosophy is not practical in the real world. When you advocate selfishness as a way of life, eventually someone will come along whose selfishness will victimize you.
Ron,

On political views,I share many of hers. She was a true individualist,I like that politically.

Her personal philosophy taught that greed should be fulfilled to the max,that was the most moral thing a human could do.

The opposite of how the Bible teaches us to think and act.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlas Shrugged viable? WmLambert 5 1,149 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Last Post: WmLambert