Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeroing in on the criminal mind
Biology of Crime: How Criminal Minds Are Different From Yours
Some quotes:
Quote:In one recent study, scientists examined 21 people with antisocial personality disorder -- a condition that characterizes many convicted criminals. Those with the disorder "typically have no regard for right and wrong. They may often violate the law and the rights of others," according to the Mayo Clinic.

Brain scans of the antisocial people, compared with a control group of individuals without any mental disorders, showed on average an 18-percent reduction in the volume of the brain's middle frontal gyrus, and a 9 percent reduction in the volume of the orbital frontal gyrus -- two sections in the brain's frontal lobe.

Another brain study, published in the September 2009 Archives of General Psychiatry, compared 27 psychopaths -- people with severe antisocial personality disorder -- to 32 non-psychopaths. In the psychopaths, the researchers observed deformations in another part of the brain called the amygdala, with the psychopaths showing a thinning of the outer layer of that region called the cortex and, on average, an 18-percent volume reduction in this part of brain.

"The amygdala is the seat of emotion. Psychopaths lack emotion. They lack empathy, remorse, guilt," said research team member Adrian Raine, chair of the Department of Criminology at the University of Pennsylvania, at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington, D.C., last month.

I wonder how Loughner matches this. Should pre-school testing be done to identify potential culprits? Or only before one boards an airplane?

People will have lots of fun with the impact on civil liberties if diagnostic measurements become possible.

In a non related study, the National Geographic has an article which claims that wild foxes were completely domesticated in 9 generation. They were reduced to tail wagging obedient human loving pets by careful human selection in the breeding process. Applied to humans, in 9 generations we could eugenically rid ourselves of bad guys. However, the Russians who did this also bread extremely aggressive foxes in the same way. They are trying to unscramble what the differences in DNA are.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
We can't know,but,I bet the anomalies,if they really exist,are driven by mental attitude,not the cause of it.

Like if you don't use a muscle,it atrophies.

Overuse your emotions in the hateful type senses,maybe it atrophies the brain.

Just musing,no way do I believe people do evil and are not responsible for it except a truly mentally ill person like the Texas mother who drowned her kids,I think she was loony.
So you are a "nurture trumps nature" guy Palladin. That argument will never end until science gets better at DNA analysis.

How can one enlarge one's amygdala? What exercises are needed?
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
JT,

To agree with this view is to accept Hitler,Stalin,Caiaphas,Caligula and Nero were just victims of genetic defects.

I don't believe that.

No one needs to agree with me. That's just who I am.
I dont think mental attitude can cause a change in brain volume.
How a person uses their brain does establish neural pathways though. That's why if you do a task alot it gets easier.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Dillo,

Wonder if it can cause chemical changes? If so,why couldn't it cause other negative developments?

We've observed chemistry effects from emotions in the digestive system,maybe it can occur in other systems.

There's a famous mental health guy in Kansas ,Karl Meninger I think. He used to write an article in our paper(syndicated).

When I was young,he wrote something I have never forgotten. "I have never seen a thoughtful mentally ill person".

Understand,bipolar disease was not diagnosed back then,we're talking schizo and such diseases back then.

Now,WHY would 100% of the people this man encountered be hateful? Shouldn't a mentally ill person at times be overly nice and kind for example compared to the average jerk of society? Maybe 5% of the time?

Most normal folks are hateful at times,so mental illness at times should offer us a super nice person.

It never does. This is why I suspect some of the diseases are brought on by years of hateful mentality. Not the other way around.

Just my guess.
I think I saw something like that on the TV show House.
A woman was really nice to everyone and was happy all the time. Turns out she had a brain tumor or something.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Happens every time. There was also that guy, drunk most of the time and talking nonsense, still reelected all the time, turned out he had a brain tumor.
Sanders 2020

mv Wrote:Happens every time. There was also that guy, drunk most of the time and talking nonsense, still reelected all the time, turned out he had a brain tumor.

[Image: MJZ1973.gif]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
mv Wrote:Happens every time. There was also that guy, drunk most of the time and talking nonsense, still reelected all the time, turned out he had a brain tumor.

Priceless.
Well Palladin, Loughner does not compare to Hitler et al.

IMHO, if he and the Fort Hood shooter had been executed within 2 weeks of their act, moral clarity might have been restored to some brain deficient folks such as Loughner or other juvenile shooters.

On the other hand, it seems that there is no shortage of criminals and sociopaths. If the tendency could be identified through DNA, then they could be shown pictures of executions of criminals, for example.

DNA is not always determinative, but indicates a tendency. Moral education could be required of deficient people.

Always a tough topic.
jt Wrote:DNA is not always determinative, but indicates a tendency. Moral education could be required of deficient people.

Always a tough topic.

BINGO!! Couldn't have stated it better.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -