Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We've Been Telling the Alamo Story Wrong for Nearly 200 Years. Now It's Time to Corre
Quote:We've Been Telling the Alamo Story Wrong for Nearly 200 Years. Now It's Time to Correct the Record  

Imagine if the U.S. were to open interior Alaska for colonization and, for whatever reason, thousands of Canadian settlers poured in, establishing their own towns, hockey rinks and Tim Hortons stores. When the U.S. insists they follow American laws and pay American taxes, they refuse. When the government tries to collect taxes, they shoot and kill American soldiers. When law enforcement goes after the killers, the colonists, backed by Canadian financing and mercenaries, take up arms in open revolt.

What a bunch of crap, Mexico encouraged Americans to move to Texas by enacting the General Colonization Law in 1824. At that time, the population of Texas was mostly indigenous. Mexican citizens were also eligible to move to Texas, but few did. When I was in the Navy I had a subscription to Time, Newsweek and MacLean's, a Canadian magazine. This is how I kept up with what was going on in the world while away at sea. They were all great magazines, today all three are crap.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 

Messages In This Thread
We've Been Telling the Alamo Story Wrong for Nearly 200 Years. Now It's Time to Corre - by Canuknucklehead - 06-09-2021, 11:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remember the Alamo? Marbleheader 11 2,978 06-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Independents4Bush
  I've Been Telling TQ this very thing for Years! John L 18 4,497 05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Last Post: DavidR