Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were Dusky Groupers Really This Big In Ancient Times
That's one big Oscar, isn't it?

habitat is important here. Is the giant grouper native to the Med, and is it a shallow water predator? The Dusky Grouper was a shallow water predator. The article talks about shallow spear fishing, so it had to inhabit shallow water.

And if they did, and grew huge, I can see where they would be dangerous to humans in ancient times, when ancient humans were closer to five feet in height. We forget that modern humans are much taller than the ancients.

Anyway, this is fascinating.

And this from Wikipedia, which perhaps explains why there are not all that many dusky groupers in the Med.

Quote:The Dusky Grouper (Epinephelus marginatus) is the best known grouper of the Mediterranean Sea and North Africa coast. It is said to have the best taste of all Mediterranean fishes.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were Dusky Groupers Really This Big In Ancient Times - by John L - 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM