Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirming Hagel
I've had a thread dedicated to "Jackasses being Jackasses", but don't have one specifically for Dumbasses. Perhaps I should change the title of this one to that, and I just might, after the Hagel issue is finally resolved.

But if there are any two people, who represent the quentessential Dumbass, these two turkeys are it. There is hardly any competition.

At the Hagel hearing, a march up the hill and down again

Quote:Last week, John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina roasted and toasted Chuck Hagel, as if the republic would be in deadly peril if he were confirmed as secretary of defense. This week, they’re assuring the White House that, well, they were just kidding. (“Can’t you guys take a joke?”)

Mr. McCain, a key Republican wise man on defense issues, insists he still thinks Mr. Hagel is not qualified to be the main man of the U.S. military, “but I don’t believe that we should hold up his nomination any further, because I think [we’ve had] a reasonable amount of time to have questions answered.”

Right on cue, Mr. Graham, who describes Mr. Hagel as not only “unqualified,” but “radical,” said he had at last received a letter from Mr. Hagel in response to the questions he asked during the confirmation hearings, and he’ll take Mr. Hagel’s word that he didn’t mean all that nice stuff he said about Iran and the nasty stuff he said about the Iraq war, the Jews and Israel.

Senators are tigers about process, less concerned about content(especially these two grandstanding idiots). Standing tall when, all about him, fairies and elves are losing their heads, makes a senator’s chin whiskers ache and his teeth itch. The Constitution assigns to the Senate the unique duty to “advise and consent,” but it’s a lot easier in Gasbag City to “advise and submit.” The idea behind “advise and consent” was that sometimes a president’s nominee would be so dreadful that consent must be withheld to nudge a president to reconsider his sin and repent with another nominee.

To listen to the Hagel hearing, you would have thought that both Mr. McCain and Mr. Graham were sure this was one of those occasions — and that the reasons were so important and so obvious that every weapon at hand, including the filibuster, must be employed to keep “one of the most unqualified, radical choices for secretary of defense in a long time” as far from the Pentagon as possible.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hagel dumped mv 4 1,350 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Palladin