AI-Jane Political, And Economic Forums
Philipine politics... - Printable Version

+- AI-Jane Political, And Economic Forums (https://ai-jane.org)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://ai-jane.org/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: International Politics (https://ai-jane.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Philipine politics... (/thread-76.html)

Philipine politics... - ghoullio - 07-08-2005

this is a strange story, and it is the first i have hear of it. does anyone know who this Arroyo is, and how close is she to the US? would her stepping down or a new President of the Philippines make any difference on the Wot?

Washington Post Wrote:The joint announcement came hours after Arroyo went on national radio Thursday night to reject growing public demands that she step down, instead seeking to preempt a brewing mutiny in her cabinet by asking all members to tender their resignations. The president said she wanted to assemble a new team to help her overhaul the Philippine political system.

The rebel cabinet members, who include the finance, trade and budget secretaries as well as other senior economic advisers, agreed to step down. But they also urged that Arroyo be replaced by Vice President Noli de Castro, who had been a popular television news anchorman before entering politics four years ago.

Arroyo has been under fire since tapes surfaced a month ago of conversations she allegedly held with a national election commissioner, which appear to indicate they were involved in fixing the 2004 presidential vote. Arroyo has denied she cheated

- John L - 07-08-2005

Probably not. I really don't know all that much about her history, but corruption since the Marcos regime has been an established fact that everyone expects. And the citizens apparantly don't care what sex the corrupt person happens to be.

Perhaps someone else knows more here.

- Palladin - 07-13-2005

Go Here and read Wretchard's input on the Phillipine situation,the guy is a genius and a Phillipino. He thinks the Phillipines are so bad they might have to go into receivership like Kosovo

http//www.fallbackbelmont.blogspot.com/

- John L - 07-13-2005

Palladin Wrote:Go Here and read Wretchard's input on the Phillipine situation,the guy is a genius and a Phillipino. He thinks the Phillipines are so bad they might have to go into receivership like Kosovo:

http://www.fallbackbelmont.blogspot.com/

You can get to it directly by going here, without having to scroll down the page.

I have mentioned earlier that there appear to be two paths that a nation can take that will eventually lead to Liberty. One is the path followed by ours. But the other is the Taiwanese or Singapore example. I am talking about one in which a strong leader takes the reigns and cracks the whip, but also institutes economic policies that are Market Liberal/Free Enterprise in nature. Then once the country is finally cleaned up, the citizenry can be slowly given more personal freedoms as the nation grows wealthier.

As I stated, Taiwan is the perfect example, and I see this also happening in Singapore. Perhaps that is what is needed here, provided an honest strong man can be found.

- Palladin - 07-15-2005

A lack of virtue. Arroyo is no better or worse than the average Phillipino slug,no one is NOT on the take.

We have our slugs,but they don't make up 99% of our society.

- ghoullio - 07-16-2005

are the Philippines even as crucial an ally as they used to be? i know we needed the Pacific bases and all, but it seems from the lack of coverage, we don't officially much care what happens in the Philippines...

i was just curious as to whether this would change anything on the WoT, but it seems that it wont change anyhting.

- Gunnen4u - 07-16-2005

ghoullio Wrote:are the Philippines even as crucial an ally as they used to be? i know we needed the Pacific bases and all, but it seems from the lack of coverage, we don't officially much care what happens in the Philippines...

i was just curious as to whether this would change anything on the WoT, but it seems that it wont change anyhting.

I thought our bases there got closed down?

- ghoullio - 07-16-2005

shows how much i know. (nothing)

but i guess I'm stuck in the past and assumed that the Philippines and America were tight.

- Gunnen4u - 07-16-2005

ghoullio Wrote:shows how much i know. (nothing)

but i guess I'm stuck in the past and assumed that the Philippines and America were tight.

No, I think they hate/love us, as many nations do. I believe we have some Green Berets over there helping them train to fight the Moslem guerillas there. They like us, just not as much as we wished.

- ghoullio - 07-16-2005

Ah.

then MacArthur is truly dead S4

- Gunnen4u - 07-17-2005

ghoullio Wrote:Ah.

then MacArthur is truly dead S4

No, the Japanese still like us. S2

- ghoullio - 07-17-2005

unfortunately, these aren't the same Japs.

- Palladin - 07-17-2005

The Phillipines were a cold war era ally,they are pretty much not now days. Our concern is THEY are so pitiful the south might become the newest Afghanistan because the nation is so corrupt,they never are able to form governments with allegiance of the people,this is perfect for the insurgents there.

I have no respect for cultures like that. Arabs seem to be inundated with corruption,you guys don't have a clue what level of corruption is in Iraq.

- John L - 07-17-2005

Palladin Wrote:The Phillipines were a cold war era ally,they are pretty much not now days. Our concern is THEY are so pitiful the south might become the newest Afghanistan because the nation is so corrupt,they never are able to form governments with allegiance of the people,this is perfect for the insurgents there.

I have no respect for cultures like that. Arabs seem to be inundated with corruption,you guys don't have a clue what level of corruption is in Iraq.

There are three basic cutlures in the Phillipines. The first is the asian, Chinese type, which is corrupt and secular. The second is Spanish, which is corrupt and religious. And the Third is the American, which is almost non-corrupt and capitalistic. Unfortunately, the Americans were not there long enought to drastically change the other two: especially the corruption of both other cultures.

- ghoullio - 07-17-2005

well, we were there long enough to rape and pillage enough of their culture to sustain us as a military figure in the Pacific for a long time.

- Gunnen4u - 07-17-2005

ghoullio Wrote:well, we were there long enough to rape and pillage enough of their culture to sustain us as a military figure in the Pacific for a long time.

Yes, we left a legacy of rape and destruction there. Muahahaha. Kiss my a$s, Filipenos. :twisted:

At any rate, its a shame that we still aren't there in any real military force. It would have been a great base for containing China.

- ghoullio - 07-17-2005

my guess is that we needed to keep Japan in the fold, and to hell with the Filipinos. Japan is a much smarter territory than the Philippines,, and much more stable. however, i don't see why we abandoned it. you can never have too many airstrips within reasonable distance to China.

and i don't really care about the Rape and Plunder of the magnificent island of the Philippines. i just read that blurb in a College Text Book on American History. the entire history with the Philippines was reduced to about 2 paragraphs, and most of that was about how abusive we were to the Islanders...:roll:

- John L - 07-17-2005

Well, the rape and plunder part really isn't true. Even back then our soldiers and sailors made enough money that they could pay for it. American's problem, no matter where they go, is to be willing to pay too much, thus raising the prevailing cost of what soldiers and sailors are always after.

In other words, we spoil every situation we get thrown into, by spending too much money on the natives. Wink1