Poll: Should civilians receive military medals?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medals, for civilian contractors or soldiers
Quote:While on missions in Iraq last year, 35-year-old Todd Drobnick was attacked by small-arms fire, grenades and makeshift bombs. Yet he continued to go out day after day, until he died in a vehicle crash on his way from one U.S. military base to another. For his loyalty and dedication, he was posthumously awarded a Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
from Line blurs between soldiers, contractors

The only issue is that Drobnick is not a soldier, he's a civilian contractor. My understanding is that only active soldiers can recieve medals. If this is the case, then why have these errors occured?

Have other civilians recieved such "medals" in the past? Should they in the future? Is this a new phase of warfare? Dare we put civilians in the chain of command versus leading the military?
"I detest the man who hides one thing in the depths of his heart and speaks forth another"
-Homer
If a person's partriotic heroism rises high above the normal, even though that person is not in the military, the Congressional Medal of Honor may be awarded. I believe the President has a number of like awards.
You can find civilian medals here
"I detest the man who hides one thing in the depths of his heart and speaks forth another"
-Homer
Baldar thank you for the correction. upon more research, I see the Congressional Medal of Honor is only presented to the enlisted, but on March 3, 1863 this was extended to officers as well. I was visualizing the many times I saw a president award the honors posthumously to the families of the recipients. The last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded was Mogadishu, Somalia on October 3, 1993. The Medals were awarded posthumously to the families of Gary I. Gordon and Randall D. Shugart. They were members of "The Delta Force" aka Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta.