Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MagicJack
If you even watch a little TV, you will have seen the commercials about the niceties of MagicJack. Does anyone here have MagicJack? What are your thinking on it?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I don't have it, but PCMag gave it an "Editor's Choice":

PCMag - MagicJack Review.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
I don't know anything about it - except that it is a loss-leader item, designed to attract people because its free - then hit them with a fee later on.

It is also funny that it is hawked as TMC "product of the year." Did TMC produce anything else?

TANSTAAFL.
If your computer goes down or you loose your internet connection you loose your phone.
Bad idea, IMHO.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Armadillo Wrote:If your computer goes down or you loose your internet connection you loose your phone.
Bad idea, IMHO.
True of any VOIP. Same with the power. And a regular phone if all you have is a cordless!
[Image: SalmaHayekcopy.jpg]
Armadillo, cable services are much less likely to lose their internet connection, since typically they are "always on." Also, they use fiber-optic cable rather than lower signal-capacity copper wire. We switched to phone service provided by Comcast Cable about a year ago, and we have had no problem. Comcast provides our TV (several hundred channels plus an On Demand library of over a thousand movies), high-speed Internet, and phone service in one package, for about $140 a month.
Has anyone tried it yet? MagicJack is selling at a good number of retail outlets now, including Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walgreens, and other places.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Armadillo Wrote:If your computer goes down or you loose your internet connection you loose your phone.
Bad idea, IMHO.
Amen. A backup phone is a lot cheaper than a backup computer. My cable service does not go out often, but my land phone line never goes out.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
John L Wrote:Has anyone tried it yet? MagicJack is selling at a good number of retail outlets now, including Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walgreens, and other places.

my brother has this friend who likes to test everything and then write reviews about them in this local magazine for North Dakota.

Apparently, he tested out Magic Jack, and found that it wasn't what it was Jacked up to be. it seems that it's a shoddy piece of technology that doesn't even do the job that it's supposed to do all that well.
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!
jt Wrote:
Bad idea, IMHO.
Amen. A backup phone is a lot cheaper than a backup computer. My cable service does not go out often, but my land phone line never goes out.

That is only partially correct. A backup "moble" phone is a lot cheaper. Also, you can have VoIP phone service, even when your computer is down. The line, thich comes in to my computer, first goes through the cable modem, then through the phone modem, then on to my computer. Even if my computer is down, I can still use the phone, as long as my cable is working.

To me, the best of both worlds would be to have a moble phone, and then a MagicJack as backup, rather than the other way around.