Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 2: The Cranny
The Cranny

[Image: gid23.gif]

"If you are not sure you have enough cranny space, and you have to ask this question, the answer is No! You don't."

So what is it about this thing called a cranny that is so important? Why is it the very first improvement that you are instructed to build by the QuestMaster? Why is it so important?

To answer this quite simply, the cranny is THE most important single improvement you can build at the beginning of the game. It is the bank in which you place your hard earned resources, in order to keep them from being stolen from those around you, who would steal them for their own use. The higher the upgrading, and more of them you have, the more you can produce, and not worry about your property being stolen before you can use them to build improvements, or units. Also, you will be able to assist your alliance by having extra resources to sent them, in order to grow the alliance through growth of the alliance embassy. We will cover this subject later.

This is why the Questmaster asks All beginning players to construct a cranny before all else, be it an "economic", or "military" direction one wished to take. As soon as you have your protection removed, it is imperative to have your cranny up to speed BEFORE you are thrown out to the wolfes, not After you are. By then it will have been too late.

So how much is enough to begin? My rule of thumb is to ensure that your cranny is at least up to L8 by the time you leave protection, with improvement to L10 shortly thereafter. Once you have 'crannied up" to L10, you will have the option to build as many more as you wish, all at the same time. You are restricted to one only with the first one, so that is another reason to rush improvement to L10 on that first cranny.

Generally what I do is start two new crannies out at the same time as my second and third safes. I do this because L1 of a crany is dirt cheap, and offers 100 resource protection immediately. It is an easy way to get that quick 200 safe resources. I then proceed to build these two up to about L4 - L5 together. Once I reach this level, I work one of them all the way up to L10, and then do the same to the second cranny. When I am finished, I have 3000 resource protection.

Now, here are the exceptions to this, as many of you are well aware.

The first exception deals with the Gauls. Gauls are the natural defenders of the game and have a 'leg up' on crannies, in that they receive twice the amount of the Teut or Roman. A Gaul's maxed out cranny is good for 2000 resources, rather than the usual 1000. You may not think it fair, but that is the way the game is played. It is one of the biggest reasons for going Gaul. For almost the same cost, you get twice the cranny space. Now that is nice, and allows you to concentrate on improvements earlier as a result.

The second exception deals with the Teuts. All Teuts have a pillage advantage in that they receive an added 1/3 more than Romans or Gauls, who are raiding others. Consequently, if you have a cranny up to 1000, only two thirds, or 660 resources are safe from theft. This is important and causes me to automatically take all of this in to consideration before anything else. The reason for this is that dedicated raiders are mostly Teuts, so one must use the base assumption as the given.

To figure out the exact amount you can expect to keep safe from Teuts, just take a hand calculator and add in the total amound you have in cranny value. Then just multiply that number by ".66" and it will quickly tell you the exact amount. Also, give this number the advantage of being what you want later on when your resources grow later on down the road. Remember, always figure on needing more than you think you May need. You may be called away from the computer, have to work, or some emergency, so allow for unseen circumstances.

Again, ""If you are not sure you have enough cranny space, and you have to ask this question, the answer is No! You don't."

If you are going to be successful at this game you MUST keep your hard earned resources from being stolen by others. this is a first thing you MUST control, or you will be behind the 8 ball from the very start of the game.

This FAQ site , will give you all the figures and numbers you need to know about crannies, what they cost, and how they protect your goods. Please study them closely, and make it a goal/mission to ensure that you not only have enough cranny for yourself, but More than you currently need. Very soon you will need all of it, and when you let resources get away, it is a case of closing the gate AFTER the horses have gotten out.

This is your First item of concern. If you have trouble grasping this simple concept, you will not be able to make it up to the main alliance, because you will be a distinct liability to the group.

This thread will be open for comments. Please feel free to comment, ask questions, or give your thoughts on this lesson.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

You have a typo in there. When you are talking about building up 3 crannies to level 10 you say you would then have 300 resource protection and you forgot a zero because it would be 3000. S5
Cally Wrote:You have a typo in there. When you are talking about building up 3 crannies to level 10 you say you would then have 300 resource protection and you forgot a zero because it would be 3000. S5

My Bad! :oops:

Boy, are you observant! Thanks Love!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

You are welcome hun S1