Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HERE'S A SHOCKER FOR YOU
Palestinian infant mortality lowest amongst Arab nations.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
WarBicycle Wrote:Palestinian infant mortality lowest amongst Arab nations.

Have you tried adding other countries to the list?

Try this: Add Afghanistan and Albania, and THEN compare the numbers. You may be surprised at the outcome.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Albania has the lowest, these are el Reuters stats so they must be accurate.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
I'd be interested in seeing the numbers of women who die in child birth.
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
Maternal Mortality
Add the US in there and what a difference.
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
We Don't Need Universal Health Care Pt. I: Why Does The US Have Such A High Infant Mortality Rate ? Wrote:Some countries count frail or premature infants who die before the normal due date as miscarriages (spontaneous abortions) and those who die during or immediately after childbirth as stillborn. The demographer Ansley Coale found dubiously high ratios of reported stillbirths to infant deaths in Hong Kong and Japan in the first 24 hours after birth, a pattern that is consistent with the high recorded sex ratios at birth in those countries and suggests not only that many female infants who die in the first 24 hours are misreported as stillbirths rather than infant deaths but also that those countries do not follow WHO recommendations for the reporting of live births and infant deaths.

In Austria and Germany, fetal weight must be at least 500 grams (1 pound) to count as a live birth; in other parts of Europe, such as Switzerland, the fetus must be at least 30 centimeters (12 inches) long. In Belgium and France, births at less than 26 weeks of pregnancy are registered as lifeless. When you consider the disparate definitions of live births it is easy to see why the United States would not compare favorably--particularly when other countries are using definitions that lower their infant mortality rate. Due to the wildly varying definitions of what constitutes a live birth and reporting requirements, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which collects the European numbers, warns of head-to-head comparisons by country.

How to define live birth isn't the only factor inflating the US infant mortality rate. America is more racially and economically diverse than many other industrialized countries. African-American babies are twice as likely as white infants to be premature, to have a low birth weight, and to die at birth; teen pregnancies and obesity both disproportionately affect African-American women and also increase risk for premature births and low birth weights, factors which raise the infant mortality rate. Thus, African-Americans have higher infant mortality rates than the country as a whole while various other ethnic groups, including Chinese Americans, have lower than average rates.

Iceland uses the same standards as we do but has a population under 300,000 that is 94 percent homogeneous, a mixture of Norse and Celts. Finland has a population of 5.2 million people with foreigners comprising only 2 percent. Japan's population is estimated at around one-hundred and twenty-seven million with a small population of foreign workers; 99% of the nation speaks Japanese as a first language. And on the other hand we have America with a multi-racial, polyglot population of 300 million people, home to 31 ethnic groups with more than a million members. Estimates suggest that we have 12 million undocumented immigrants, many of whom are women that do not seek prenatal care until they show up at the hospital to give birth. We have more illegal immigrants in our country than the entire populations of Finland and Iceland combined.

Paradoxically, our excellence at treating neonates, abundance of medical resources, and expanding fertility treatment industry may work against us in the attempt to lower infant mortality rates. "The United States has more neonatologists and neonatal intensive care beds per person than Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom, but its newborn rate is higher than any of those countries," said the annual State of the World's Mothers report.
WarBicycle Wrote:Maternal Mortality

One of my favorite places to go visit, is Cades Cove, in the Smoky Mountain National Park along the North Carolina, Tennessee borders. it is a very beautiful valley, and in the early part of the 20th Century, the park system took it in and preserved it's quaintness.

[Image: ccmap.jpg]

The first time I went there, and I have been there many times, I took the self-tour. I visited the three churches there, and being the good anthropology student, I went into the cemetaries in order to get an idea of who lived and died there. I was totally shocked to see the huge proportion of babies who died at child birth, or shortly thereafter. Also the number of mothers, who also died, were Huge. I was absolutely shocked!

The point is that childbirth mortality was a very dangerous thing, for both mother and child, and in 19th century America, it was also extremely high. Anyone who visits Cades Cove should look in on the cemetaries and take mental note of the infant/mother mortality.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz