Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctors group backs marijuana for medical uses
I'm all for full legalization. LOL! Kinda puts the lie to the idea that I'm an extreme radical right winger doesn't it?

Doctors group backs marijuana for medical uses

By Will Dunham

Quote:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading U.S. doctors group has endorsed using marijuana for medical purposes, urging the government to roll back a prohibition on using it to treat patients and supporting studies into its medical applications.

The American College of Physicians, the second-largest doctors group in the United States, issued a policy statement on medical marijuana this week after it was approved by its governing body, the group said on Friday.

The group cited evidence that marijuana is valuable in treating severe weight loss associated with AIDS, and nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy in cancer patients.

"Additional research is needed to clarify marijuana's therapeutic properties and determine standard and optimal doses and routes of delivery. Unfortunately, research expansion has been hindered by a complicated federal approval process, limited availability of research-grade marijuana and the debate over legalization," the group said.

The Philadelphia-based group, founded in 1915, is made up of 124,000 doctors who treat adults.

"The richness of modern medicine is to carefully evaluate new treatments. Marijuana has been in a special category because of, I suppose, its abuses and other concerns," Dr. David Dale, the group's president and a University of Washington professor of medicine, said in a phone interview.

'SCIENCE SHOULD BE KEPT OPEN'

David Murray, the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy's chief scientist, said, "The science should be kept open. There should be more research. We should continue to investigate."

The policy statement said, "ACP encourages the use of nonsmoked forms of THC (the main psychoactive element in marijuana) that have proven therapeutic value." It also backed research into additional therapeutic uses of marijuana.

The government should review marijuana's status as a so-called schedule I controlled substance, alongside such drugs as LSD and heroin, given scientific evidence of its safety and efficacy for some medical conditions, the doctors group said.

It called for exempting doctors who prescribe or dispense medical marijuana in accordance with state law from federal criminal prosecution and other actions. It also urged protection from criminal penalties for patients who use medical marijuana as permitted under state laws.

A dozen states have laws allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes. But supporters of medical marijuana accuse the federal government of undermining those state laws by having Drug Enforcement Administration agents raid medical marijuana providers.

Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project, which urges legal and regulated sales of marijuana, said, "This statement by America's second-largest doctors group demolishes the myth that the medical community doesn't support medical marijuana."

"The ACP's statement smashes a number of other myths, including the claims that adequate substitutes are available or that marijuana is unsafe for medical use," Kampia added.
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNew...15?sp=true
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
Holy Cow Maggie, we actually disagree(or appear to) over something. We even agree at CS over what to call the "Alarmists" and "Realists". But here I must differ.

Instead I favour De-criminalization. There is a difference here. With the former(legalization), the State, or individual state is sanctioning it, or in other words implicitly encouraging it. With the later, it assumes a neutral position. It also absolves itself of any possible liability in the future. If someone takes a drug and does harm to his/her self, the state is not guilty of officially approving of it's use.

See the difference?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

John L Wrote:Holy Cow Maggie, we actually disagree(or appear to) over something. We even agree at CS over what to call the "Alarmists" and "Realists". But here I must differ.

Instead I favour De-criminalization. There is a difference here. With the former(legalization), the State, or individual state is sanctioning it, or in other words implicitly encouraging it. With the later, it assumes a neutral position. It also absolves itself of any possible liability in the future. If someone takes a drug and does harm to his/her self, the state is not guilty of officially approving of it's use.

See the difference?

Sigh, ok so I used the wrong word. Damn and I thought we might actually disagree!
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
I wish my Ex and I had only gotten in such "discussions" as she used to call it.

Speaking of the Ex, I think I will give her a 'gingle' now while I am thinking of it. Thanks for the reminder dear. Wink1

Dianne and I get along, if you can believe that.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I can believe it. I've even heard of exes getting remarried.
scpg02 Wrote:I can believe it. I've even heard of exes getting remarried.

Never happen here. She is from Summerville NJ, and talks
. I'm a southern boy, and after about twelve years, that and the alcoholism just got to be too much.

she's given up the alcohol, but not the rate of 1600 rpm. S6

I find myself heavily divided in this subject for the most part.

Hey, lets just let ourselves, as a society, throw away the barriers and let loose, because we could care less about any after-effects right (such as increased use nationwide - great)? I mean, it's bad enough people indulge in the things they curently do so we can feel more social problems, let's just go for the full-monty.

Better yet, we can legalize it, and then add a plethura of regulation. I love more regulation and rules and the bueacracy needed to sustain it.

So long as we get to feel guilt-free about indulging in our more craven wants, we can ignore everything else.

Since we want to just leap into these waters, let's see if we can swim.

Full legalization - perhaps then we can also make the proponents clean up the mess afterwards of a drug culture. Knowing people, I figure that's what'll eventually boil down to quickly.
I lean toward John L. (re: regulation by individual states). Seems like a losing battle and waste of Fed resources. Particularly when states are doing more stuff like this every day.

Health issues and Science are getting way too politicized and this is just another example with the feds arguing with doctors.

However, it should be kept in mind that the folks that are using illegally are fueling a wave of evil thats leaving increasingly large piles of dead cops and kids. Until the laws are changed, casual users have just as much culpability and blood on their hands as the MS-13 thugs.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
The US is eventually going to have to change it's policy on Marijuana and other illegal drugs because it's just not working and it's costing the country way too much. How can any free enterpriser not understand this unles he/she is all screwed up with some kind of ridiculous religious beliers of drug demons of Satan?

Neanderthal policy is the only way to describe it.
To be replaced with a signature of my own choice.
gray ghost Wrote:The US is eventually going to have to change it's policy on Marijuana and other illegal drugs because it's just not working and it's costing the country way too much.

That's the point though. They use the war on drugs to do away with our Constitutional rights. They use it to validate the need for a large police force. And they use it in CIA operations. Covert money. No, the government will give that up very reluctantly.
I suppose you experts on drugs will correct me if I am wrong.

One problem with drug legalization, excluding marijuana, is the following. Many of the hard drugs are very destructive in a short period time, and addictive. We could all agree that if an adult wishes to partake of them, then the adult should bear the consequences. However, society does not seem to work that way. It wants to set up rehab centers to treat addicts, or give them free maintenance doses. This costs the rest of society money. In addition, it is quite likely that freely available drugs at a cheap price would have the consequence of a huge number of extra addicted people. Yes, sometimes heroin addiction has been treated by the state in such a way, but there are many more destructive drugs out there, e.g. cocaine, crystal meth. How do you put people on "maintenance doses" of these? Since rehab does not seem to work, you are left with expensive dysfunctional people.

Marijuana is not a good thing for young people. I have talked to many young people who tried it and they tell me it interferes considerably with their concentration and study. Some of them have psychotic episodes, and a very few do not recover from these. If MJ were legalized, and on sale for adults, it would easily find its way into teen age lungs, just in the same way that alcohol easily finds its way into teen age bellies today. I would not like to have to deal with that as a parent, it is enough to deal with teaching your kids to drink responsibly. A hangover is one thing, but a psychotic episode is another. I don't think many parents teach their kids to drink (it is clear from the teen drunk driving deaths), so they would also not teach their kids to use MJ responsibly. And, there would only be more chaos, deaths and ruined lives.

All legal drugs, if legalized, would be available to teen agers, by the same route alcohol is available to them.

Now, if you were a true libertarian, or true liberal (e.g. GG), you would not care about any of this, because each person has the freedom to destroy themselves as they wish. The problem is, society will make the rest of us pay for it (GG's side of the fence, as I perceive it).
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
jt,

Pot makes people lazy and stupid. But I'm not certain I buy into the psychotic episode thing as if it was so, at least a few of the folks I went to college with would have been seeing pink elephants on a regular basis. (I'm not aware of any such episodes) Again, my main argument is that (at least today) IT IS ILLEGAL ... and it's use and trafficing gets plenty of good people killed. (At least initially) Decriminalization probably isn't going to take the big money out of the equation ... and that's usually what gets people killed (even without government involvement).

I'm right with you on your "hard drug" argument. If you haven't actually seen a close friend burn himself up on coke you probably would never believe the destruction that sh*t is capable of. It's absolutely wicked. Ditto with Meth .. but Meth is much worse. At least the idiots that do coke don't leave big piles of toxic waste in their paths of destruction.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
scpg02 Wrote:
gray ghost Wrote:The US is eventually going to have to change it's policy on Marijuana and other illegal drugs because it's just not working and it's costing the country way too much.

That's the point though. They use the war on drugs to do away with our Constitutional rights. They use it to validate the need for a large police force. And they use it in CIA operations. Covert money. No, the government will give that up very reluctantly.

You got one right Maggie!
To be replaced with a signature of my own choice.
gray ghost Wrote:You got one right Maggie!

I'm always right.
mr_yak Wrote:jt,

Pot makes people lazy and stupid. But I'm not certain I buy into the psychotic episode thing as if it was so, at least a few of the folks I went to college with would have been seeing pink elephants on a regular basis. (I'm not aware of any such episodes) Again, my main argument is that (at least today) IT IS ILLEGAL ... and it's use and trafficing gets plenty of good people killed. (At least initially) Decriminalization probably isn't going to take the big money out of the equation ... and that's usually what gets people killed (even without government involvement).

I'm right with you on your "hard drug" argument. If you haven't actually seen a close friend burn himself up on coke you probably would never believe the destruction that sh*t is capable of. It's absolutely wicked. Ditto with Meth .. but Meth is much worse. At least the idiots that do coke don't leave big piles of toxic waste in their paths of destruction.

I don't think very many people have such episodes on pot, but I do remember a few who went to the emergency room freaked out by what they saw in their minds. For a great number of people, pot does seem not to pose this problem, and is therefore relatively innocuous in this respect.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Pot plays havoc with adolencents. It tends to stunt maturation. I have had young men working for me, when I was in construction management, who smoked pot for years as they were growing up. And their maturity was stunted. They were more placit, laid back, and seemed to hold no strong core beliefs, amongst other things. It was sad to see so many who just lacked that little spark that comes with normal maturity.

Pot should be outlawed with children, with more than just severe penalties. the sellor should be put in jail and stay there for a long time.

Adults? That is their business what they choose to do with their bodies.

John L Wrote:I have had young men working for me, when I was in construction management, who smoked pot for years as they were growing up. And their maturity was stunted. They were more placit, laid back, and seemed to hold no strong core beliefs, amongst other things. It was sad to see so many who just lacked that little spark that comes with normal maturity.

See I would have attributed that to bad parenting. Kids will have strong feelings about things if their folks do.
scpg02 Wrote:
John L Wrote:I have had young men working for me, when I was in construction management, who smoked pot for years as they were growing up. And their maturity was stunted. They were more placit, laid back, and seemed to hold no strong core beliefs, amongst other things. It was sad to see so many who just lacked that little spark that comes with normal maturity.

See I would have attributed that to bad parenting. Kids will have strong feelings about things if their folks do.

Ok, then let's jail the parents. S6

If for nothing else, colossal stupitidy. Any parent, who couldn't tell their child was stoned on weed, should not be passing their genes on anyway. Shock

I think it is valid to ask yourself what has been the end result of our war on drugs? Has 1 human avoided drugs that otherwise would not have?

I doubt it. There are mountains of various drugs being consumed daily here in America. If a truck dumped cocaine and meth in my front yard,I wouldn't snort any.

Prohibition failed because all the drinkers kept drinking,but the profits moved from Krogers and A&P to Alphonse Capone and John Kennedy's father.

We wised up on liquor after 1 decade,I can't figure out why we're so fixated on government prohibition of drugs. It works the exact same way.

Gangs now make the profits instead of WalGreens or CVS,violence is exorbitant because of that fact. I would simply treat drugs like beer.

All drugs. Of course meth and coke are terrible and destoy lives,but our policies don't stop that problem. They only move the cash flow to the gangs. I agree with spc also concerning what other problems it causes.

There are tyrannical laws concerning confiscation of cash w/o even an arrest being made simply over this "drug war".
scpg02 Wrote:Kids will have strong feelings about things if their folks do.

Smoking enough dope will tend to attenuate even the strongest 'feelings' about things.
-- Henry Mencken