Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America, a paper tiger?
America's economy, alledgedly five times bigger than China's. Almost four times the size of Germany's and two-and a half times that of Japan.
I look around and see hardly any American products. This PC of course runs on Microsoft, better than it used to be, not failing every day anymore. Out there occasionally a Ford or Chevrolet. I believe the Chevy models here were called Daewoo before, a Korean brand bought by GM. Cars still look the same, copies of ancient Opels from the Seventies. Opel is GM too. Once the biggest manufacturer in Germany, they might battle with Skoda now for the tenth place. Run down by the mother. Americas car industry seems to go the same way the British did, into oblivion.

Up there in the sky, this could be a Boeing. I honestly hope they do better business in the future than Airbus does, insane to build a plane for 600 or 700 passengers. Airtravel is a kind of torture, the more passengers, the worse it gets. Nowhere else can the lower ranks of a country's law enforcers wield more power. They get their satisfaction checking a passport for half an hour. How long will it take to board this particular aircraft in this hysteric times?
In the supermarket, anything American? Maybe the nappies over there, a local P&G brand? In the cinema, Hollywood pictures. But all in all, not much for the worlds dominating economy, even considering this place is 12 hours away from your eastern time. European brands, expensive but plenty. Chinese, lots of; Japanese, everywhere. Globalisation, your idea. Still fit for it?
America seems to be good in services, the modern stuff where people cheat each other. The doctor his patient with a useless treatment because a pharma company pays him off the books. The investment advisor cheats the doctor with a harakiri stock because commission does this to a man. A real-estate agent gets the investment guy for the same reason. This one's lawyer pushes him into a lawsuit, the single reason of wich is to generate some income for that lawyer. He needs it urgently, the bank -whose president the patient from above is- rised the interest rate for his mortgage because his rating is not what it used to be. This all contributes to the GDP, whether it makes sense is a different matter.
My best friend here is from Florida, a fine guy. Every time he meets one of his country's fellow men, I am totally fascinated by their acting. Half an hour exaggerated politness, radiating smiles, smalltalks. (They call me mean, because I cannot stand it.) What the hell do you do in your famous 16-hour workdays, no weekends and no vacations? Half of the time exchange sweet nothings? Otherwise, would there be not more results one can see and touch, Made in USA?
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Is this an emotional screed, or are you genuinely interested in the US economy? Because, if it is indeed a screed, then perhaps a bit of knowledge is needed, such as your nationality, and why you 'feel' the way you do about the US.

If it is about economics, then I am more than willing to point you in the right direction.

Since you are smart enough to realize that the Global Warming debate is a ruse, then you are more than up to understanding basic Classical Economics.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

It seems everything the U.S. touches turns to gold. Rush Limbaugh was just discussing a news release that Walmart has single handedly raised more than 300 million impoverished Chinese to levels of employment and wealth they had never dreamed of before. It appears the company that the Left has used as a punching bag has instantaneously become the single greatest source of good since Mother Theresa.

This is the consequence of Free Enterprise, Quadrat.
Here's the article, Forget the World Bank, Try Wal-Mart.

I'm going to start a thread on this, so I can tweak the Grizz's nose here. Wink1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Some of quadrat's points seemed invalid. Toyotas and Nissans in Thailand no longer look like the old ones did. A friend just showed me his 2006 Honda sedan, and it's as modern as any car.

My first car in Texas was a used Vauxhall, built in 1958 in England, just a lousy, shrunkdown, boxy version of a 1955 Chevrolet. I owned Opel, English Ford, etc., in the 1960's. However, GM is a shadow of its former self, and many of its "North American" components are made in Canada and Mexico. Yet, its North American operations are running at a terrific loss, so that even the foreign divisions can't turn a net corporate profit.

As long ago as 1997, my buddy who would shop for presents to take home to China couldn't find anything in Wal-Mart that was made in the USA. Wal-Mart may have enriched millions of Chinese, but some of their laborers were probably slave laborers, because Wal-Mart refused to let the social equity funds monitor who their workers were. Our foreign trade is so imbalanced now, I suspect that Boeing airplanes and armaments are the primary exports from the USA, not including jobs.

The immense trade imbalance speaks for itself. See if you're wearing anything made in the USA.
I'm often wrong. But I'm not always wrong!
Fit2BThaied Wrote:Some of quadrat's points seemed invalid. Toyotas and Nissans in Thailand no longer look like the old ones did. A friend just showed me his 2006 Honda sedan, and it's as modern as any car.

My first car in Texas was a used Vauxhall, built in 1958 in England, just a lousy, shrunkdown, boxy version of a 1955 Chevrolet. I owned Opel, English Ford, etc., in the 1960's. However, GM is a shadow of its former self, and many of its "North American" components are made in Canada and Mexico. Yet, its North American operations are running at a terrific loss, so that even the foreign divisions can't turn a net corporate profit.

As long ago as 1997, my buddy who would shop for presents to take home to China couldn't find anything in Wal-Mart that was made in the USA. Wal-Mart may have enriched millions of Chinese, but some of their laborers were probably slave laborers, because Wal-Mart refused to let the social equity funds monitor who their workers were. Our foreign trade is so imbalanced now, I suspect that Boeing airplanes and armaments are the primary exports from the USA, not including jobs.

The immense trade imbalance speaks for itself. See if you're wearing anything made in the USA.

Fit', it's good to see that you have the wording, trade imbalance, correct. However, are you still worried about it as being a problem? It's not, you know?

President Carter allowed the trade imbalance in one stroke of the pen.

When he signed the foreign income tax law...tens of thousands of Americans came home with resulting purchase orders going to other countries whose ex-pat personell chose their own products. (France, Germany, etc.).

We still feed the world with the best farmers/agriscientists alive.

(May I also mention microsoft? It alone is larger than most national economies.)
We have been very generous letting the world catch up a little since WWII. Good business. Please do not be so foolish to bite the hands that have fed you.
Our economy is doing quite well thank you lol but what is terribly exciting is that we are on the cutting edge of so much technology...for the TRUE space age in the offing. You aint' seen nothing yet. lol
Ken
Our economy is definitely not our problem. This clown needs to try out someone else's for comparison.
Well wait now lets not name call yet we don't know much about the guy. I will say our economy and military are the best in the world. What makes us a paper tiger would be our politics. We give our word and the left in this country works to undermine it. They did it with success in Vietnam and are attempting to do it successfully in the global war on islamic fascist. If we can find a way to defeat the defeatist we are then the perfect tiger.
WmLambert,
what do YOU care about Chinese? The imported garbage from China destroyed lots of fairly paid labour right there in the United States. Big benefits for the Chinese? A badly polluted environment. Slave labour, poorly paid. They don't get a twentieth of your or our wages for the same work. Enough fore some rice, a rusty bicycle and a tiny hut to be shared with the rats. Same what they had before. Average income of the Chinese is some 1,500 USD/capita/year, prices rising rapidly.
Winners of the trade are Wal-Mart's owners only.
What is it good for to import stuff that can be produced in the own country? Just because it is cheaper at this short moment? How shortsighted.

Reported it in a different thread already: I am pleased Wal-Mart pulled out with significant losses from Germany. German buyers like real quality to really low prices, Wal-Mart offered neither.

John L,
born East German.
quadrat Wrote:Reported it in a different thread already: I am pleased Wal-Mart pulled out with significant losses from Germany. German buyers like real quality to really low prices, Wal-Mart offered neither.

John L,
born East German.

Somehow, I suspect that there was more here than meets the eye.

DDR, eh? Not much time spent there: only East Berlin, through checkpoint Charlie during the mid 60s. I even still have my Vopo patches that I traded for cigarettes. S6

Lots of real quality back then.

BTW, Quadrat since you are hopelessly ignorant of the corporation, it actually does have many different brands of merchandise - not just the cheapest. If you want to buy a more expensive brand of merchandise, then they usually have it and makes more money on selling these items than on the cheaper items. It is the people who specify the percentage of which is purchased.

You also mock raising impoverished people up out of their misery. What kind of person are you?

The other story is that a counter-argument exists for the trade imbalance. The U.S. has increased its manufacturing base - not shrunken it. For your edification - we no longer manufacture many buggy-whips, and there are fewer ice-delivery men, elevator operators, train firemen, and hat-blockers. As China becomes more prosperous it will begin to address the pollution problem and any slave labor will become less abusive due to the success of Wal-mart.
quadrat Wrote:America's economy, alledgedly five times bigger than China's. Almost four times the size of Germany's and two-and a half times that of Japan.
I look around and see hardly any American products. This PC of course runs on Microsoft, better than it used to be, not failing every day anymore. Out there occasionally a Ford or Chevrolet. I believe the Chevy models here were called Daewoo before, a Korean brand bought by GM. Cars still look the same, copies of ancient Opels from the Seventies. Opel is GM too. Once the biggest manufacturer in Germany, they might battle with Skoda now for the tenth place. Run down by the mother. Americas car industry seems to go the same way the British did, into oblivion.

Up there in the sky, this could be a Boeing. I honestly hope they do better business in the future than Airbus does, insane to build a plane for 600 or 700 passengers. Airtravel is a kind of torture, the more passengers, the worse it gets. Nowhere else can the lower ranks of a country's law enforcers wield more power. They get their satisfaction checking a passport for half an hour. How long will it take to board this particular aircraft in this hysteric times?
In the supermarket, anything American? Maybe the nappies over there, a local P&G brand? In the cinema, Hollywood pictures. But all in all, not much for the worlds dominating economy, even considering this place is 12 hours away from your eastern time. European brands, expensive but plenty. Chinese, lots of; Japanese, everywhere. Globalisation, your idea. Still fit for it?
America seems to be good in services, the modern stuff where people cheat each other. The doctor his patient with a useless treatment because a pharma company pays him off the books. The investment advisor cheats the doctor with a harakiri stock because commission does this to a man. A real-estate agent gets the investment guy for the same reason. This one's lawyer pushes him into a lawsuit, the single reason of wich is to generate some income for that lawyer. He needs it urgently, the bank -whose president the patient from above is- rised the interest rate for his mortgage because his rating is not what it used to be. This all contributes to the GDP, whether it makes sense is a different matter.
My best friend here is from Florida, a fine guy. Every time he meets one of his country's fellow men, I am totally fascinated by their acting. Half an hour exaggerated politness, radiating smiles, smalltalks. (They call me mean, because I cannot stand it.) What the hell do you do in your famous 16-hour workdays, no weekends and no vacations? Half of the time exchange sweet nothings? Otherwise, would there be not more results one can see and touch, Made in USA?

So you claim that we don't manufactuer goods right? You are completely wrong...there are plenty of goods that we manufacture, They are just high end:

Industrial machinary-John Deere, CAT, Case, New Holland
weaponary/satellites-Lockheed, L-3 Communications, Norhtrop Grumman
fiberopitics, FOOD for the world, a plethora of culture through MTV and showbiz movies :lol: (for some reason this is the foreign fav)

I'm not saying we are the manufacturing powerhouse anymore, b/c we aren't, but there are and always will be certain componenets (microprocessors for the PC and engine casting) that will not be outsources. We are a service dominated economy for the most part, but we still produce plenty.

And speaking of torture about more people on the plane...gripe to Airbus, they just built the largest passenger plane ever. Boeings business level strategy is that of smaller planes and shorter flights, while Airbus is large planes with long flights.
neocon234,
"plethora of culture through MTV"
Don't know the term "plethora". Does it translate "the abyss of stupidity trough MTV"? Please leave me alone with everything that's pop culture. That does not add anything to your mind, it drains it.

WmLambert,
Chines eat rats and dogs and cats, that is no insult. Except for the animals.
You mock them. What kind of person are you?
I know there are lots of people out there who don't care about careers and making money and designer clothes. They want to stay all their lives in their hamlets and run a quiet existence. They want the state to care for everything. They don't want to be pushed around by "market forces", translated greed and selfishness. China provided such a society once.
Now they work three times more, but the masses do not have a better live. More stress, that's right. Suicide rate, I read a couple of days ago, is up by some 500%.
Better life in future for the owners of the sweat shops and their totally corrupt breed of a so called communist leadership, I agree.
"China will begin to talk about the pollution problem." S2 That's great, isn't it? As good as solved.
quadrat Wrote:neocon234,
"plethora of culture through MTV"
Don't know the term "plethora". Does it translate "the abyss of stupidity trough MTV"? Please leave me alone with everything that's pop culture. That does not add anything to your mind, it drains it.

WmLambert,
Chines eat rats and dogs and cats, that is no insult. Except for the animals.
You mock them. What kind of person are you?
I know there are lots of people out there who don't care about careers and making money and designer clothes. They want to stay all their lives in their hamlets and run a quiet existence. They want the state to care for everything. They don't want to be pushed around by "market forces", translated greed and selfishness. China provided such a society once.
Now they work three times more, but the masses do not have a better live. More stress, that's right. Suicide rate, I read a couple of days ago, is up by some 500%.
Better life in future for the owners of the sweat shops and their totally corrupt breed of a so called communist leadership, I agree.
"China will begin to talk about the pollution problem." S2 That's great, isn't it? As good as solved.

plethora
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?bo...a=plethora

I know your english might be a little "MTV" like living in Thailand...check out the link above ](*,)
John L,
yep, DDR. Was to Berlin last year, first time since 1989. A lot has changed. Checkpoint Charly still exists as Tourist attraction.
Are you fellows somehow faszinated by the nazis? In Berlin's hotels are small brochures with flags on the frontpage, trikolore for the French, the Union Jack and another with your stars and stripes. One in English would do, but yours contains something different. Usually, Berlin is presented as city of culture and history and advises were to find that.
Yours, Nazi memorabilia. Hitlers chancellory and stuff. In vein, nothing there anymore. Blown up to rubble and removed. Goerings building has survived and there is some federal ministry in, that's it.
Quadrat, what are you talking about? The U.S. has no fascination with either Hitler or Nazi paraphenalia. The few who do that kind of thing are crackpots and mentally deranged individuals just looking to stir up contention. The people who visit Germany, like my relatives who came from there go to look at their roots. They want to visit the land and area they sprang from and to sample the contemporaneous culture, drink some beer and watch dancers in Liederhosen. Very few Americans come to Germany without visiting Dachau or extending their visits to Poland to see Auschwitz, Cheimno, Majdanek, Sobibór, Treblinka, or the extermination camp in Warsaw.

It is similar when we visit France. We go to Normandy and see the graves of our dead, and say prayers for the fallen on both sides.
WmLambert,
good to know. It's true with the brochures anyway. Same in Berchtesgarden (Obersalzberg) in the Alps.