Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I had a traffic accident today
I had a traffic accident about three hours ago. I was in the left turn lane approaching 13 Mile Road, passing by a lineup of cars waiting for the light to change. There was a small gap, which I couldn't see from my angle as I approached, and someone came out of a gas station driveway cutting across traffic through the small gap. I had less than a second to react. Fortunately I was slowing down for the turn, and was wearing my seat belt. The front right side of his car hit the front middle of my car. Neither of us were hurt. The damage to his car was only cosmetic, and that in just a small area. My car was all bent up, so much that I couldn't get out of the driver side door. My car was leaking various kinds of fluids, including apparently power steering fluid, since later when the police officer told me I could turn into a parking lot, I had to use muscle power--there was no power steering. Amazingly the airbag did not deploy. Apparently the impact missed the sensors that trigger the airbag. The police officer called a tow truck, and the towtruck delivered it to my house, which was only 2 ½ miles away. Cost for the tow was $160. But he did have to pick up and carry my car on his flatbed. At least he let me ride with him. Although the police lady said she would drive me home otherwise.

Those police cars these days are like mobile offices--laptop computer built in, printer, as well as all the fancy communications equipment. She let me wait in the back seat of her cruiser, so I could stay out of the cold. It is a very cold day, only about 12° F. She took all the information from both drivers, so my insurance company will obtain all the information they need from the police report. I did get the other driver's name. I filed the claim with my insurance company, State Farm. They said they would report what they found out from police and what coverage I can expect within about 24 hours. I am already registered with the online website, so I can check there periodically for the results.

I did not have a cell phone with me, I just waited there with my 4-way flashers going, in the left turn lane about a hundred feet before the traffic light. Someone finally stopped and asked if I were OK, then called the police for us. (The other driver pulled off into the parking lot, so he would not continue to block one of the two main drive lanes.) The guy who stopped wished me a Merry Christmas. We both laughed.

The guy who hit me obviously could not see me, just as I could not see him. I wish he had not been driving quite so fast. I hope he has collision insurance, so my insurance company can collect from his; I only have liability insurance. We ended by shaking hands. I wished him a Merry Christmas.
I had something like that happen to me about fifteen years ago.  My minivan was in the shop, and I was using my friend Mike's minivan in order to make a delivery.   I had just crossed over a main intersection where a huge Wal-Mart and Harris Teeter were located on my right, and approached an other intersection into two subdivisions, which were busy at the time.  Just as I got to the intersection, this fellow made a left turn at the light, right into me.  The left turn lane in my direction had a bunch of cars waiting to turn left, and he couldn't see me coming.  Instead of going slow, he just pulled out, pretty as you please, about 15 meters in front of me.  

I'll never forget his face, as he realized that he had made a Terrible Screw-Up.  His mouth dropped open, and he had that "Ohhhh Shitt!!!" look on his face.  I produce lots of adrenaline when my "fight or flight" response is turned on, and its one of the reasons why I am a certified adrenaline addict.  But things slow down to a crawl and I am able to see things in slow motion.  This guy,.........I've never seen anyone have a face like that one before.  He really knew he'd screwed up Big Time, as I smashed into his right front side,...in slow motion.   S6

Fortunately my insurance company, USAA, didn't have to get involved in it.  

Mike wasn't too happy with me though. But he did get a nice rental until he could come up with another vehicle.  I never understood why he hasn't trusted me to borrow his vehicle since then?  S13
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

(12-16-2016, 02:14 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: I had a traffic accident about three hours ago. I was in the left turn lane approaching 13 Mile Road, passing by a lineup of cars waiting for the light to change. There was a small gap, which I couldn't see from my angle as I approached, and someone came out of a gas station driveway cutting across traffic through the small gap. I had less than a second to react. Fortunately I was slowing down for the turn, and was wearing my seat belt. The front right side of his car hit the front middle of my car. Neither of us were hurt. The damage to his car was only cosmetic, and that in just a small area. My car was all bent up, so much that I couldn't get out of the driver side door. My car was leaking various kinds of fluids, including apparently power steering fluid, since later when the police officer told me I could turn into a parking lot, I had to use muscle power--there was no power steering. Amazingly the airbag did not deploy. Apparently the impact missed the sensors that trigger the airbag. The police officer called a tow truck, and the towtruck delivered it to my house, which was only 2 ½ miles away. Cost for the tow was $160. But he did have to pick up and carry my car on his flatbed. At least he let me ride with him. Although the police lady said she would drive me home otherwise.

Those police cars these days are like mobile offices--laptop computer built in, printer, as well as all the fancy communications equipment. She let me wait in the back seat of her cruiser, so I could stay out of the cold. It is a very cold day, only about 12° F. She took all the information from both drivers, so my insurance company will obtain all the information they need from the police report. I did get the other driver's name. I filed the claim with my insurance company, State Farm. They said they would report what they found out from police and what coverage I can expect within about 24 hours. I am already registered with the online website, so I can check there periodically for the results.

I did not have a cell phone with me, I just waited there with my 4-way flashers going, in the left turn lane about a hundred feet before the traffic light. Someone finally stopped and asked if I were OK, then called the police for us. (The other driver pulled off into the parking lot, so he would not continue to block one of the two main drive lanes.) The guy who stopped wished me a Merry Christmas. We both laughed.

The guy who hit me obviously could not see me, just as I could not see him. I wish he had not been driving quite so fast. I hope he has collision insurance, so my insurance company can collect from his; I only have liability insurance. We ended by shaking hands. I wished him a Merry Christmas.

I installed a dash cam in my car two years ago to protect me from being found at fault.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
After the accident, I stayed right there in the left turn lane, so when the police arrived, they would see where I was. I did not move until the police lady told me I could pull over into the nearby parking lot.
Sorry, Ron, but Michigan is a no-fault state.

Quote:   If  you  have  an  auto  accident,  no-fault  insurance  pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits,
replacement  services,  and  the  damage  you  do  to  other  people’s  property. It  does  not  matter  who  caused the accident.

Your  basic  no-fault  insurance  does  NOT  pay  for  repairs to your car.
(12-17-2016, 11:40 PM)WmLambert Wrote: Sorry, Ron, but Michigan is a no-fault state.

Quote:   If  you  have  an  auto  accident,  no-fault  insurance  pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits,
replacement  services,  and  the  damage  you  do  to  other  people’s  property. It  does  not  matter  who  caused the accident.

Your  basic  no-fault  insurance  does  NOT  pay  for  repairs to your car.

So is Ontario but the driver the police feel caused the accident is charged with dangerous driving.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
You say that no fault insurance will pay for repairs for damage done to other people's property, but will not pay to repair your car? If the other person was clearly at fault, won't his insurance pay for repairs to your car? I will know more when I hear back from my insurance company. I have State Farm (I have yet to see any of their agents teleport), and the other driver had AAA.

I just read the linked document. It differentiates between damage to property and damage to a car (unless parked). It also says I can only sue if one of four conditions is met, one of them is: "for up to $1,000 if you are 50% or more at fault in an accident which causes damages to another person’s car which are not covered by insurance."
Each driver's insurance pays for the damage to that policy holder's vehicle. For example, about 10 years my wife was driving in the outside lane when a woman exited a parking lot, cut in front of a transport truck right into the path of my wife's car. My wife's insurance paid for the damage to her car, and the other individual was charged with dangerous driving. My wife had to appear in court as a witness for the Crown. Being found guilty of dangerous driving would result in the other individual's insurance rates probably doubling. My wife's insurance rate was unaffected by the accident.
No Fault Auto Insurance has more than its share of problems.  Granted, it moves things along faster, but it removes the concept of people being ultimately responsible for their own actions.  In other words, there is no "tort claim" for another's actions.  

Its one of those "good intentions" that cause a bigger set of problems, especially fraud.   The article below explains, in detail, the  reason why it is failing in states using this system. AND Michigan is one of the four worst states. Spiteful

Why Does Everyone Hate No-fault Car Insurance?

Quote:A car insurance Opens a New Window.  crisis is spreading like a brushfire across several U.S. states. What's to blame? Flawed no-fault auto insurance systems, industry experts say.

Critics say no-fault insurance is at the root of several insurance problems:

-*No-fault insurance is blamed for widespread car insurance fraud in Florida that has caused some insurers to reduce their business there.

-*Industry officials say New York's broken no-fault insurance system will soon be beyond repair without comprehensive reform.

-*In Michigan, no-fault insurance is blamed for ballooning personal injury protection claims that have put car insurance premiums out of reach for many city dwellers.

Twelve states and Puerto Rico have no-fault auto insurance laws. Under these laws, policyholders recover expenses for car accident injuries from their own insurance companies regardless of who was at fault for the accident. They also are prevented from suing for pain and suffering unless their injuries meet a certain threshold of severity.

States adopted no-fault laws so car accident victims could get prompt payment for medical treatment without having to wait for a determination of who was at fault for the accident. The laws were also supposed to stop ambulance-chasing attorneys from clogging the court system with small-claims cases.

But the laws have had unintended consequences. Fraud, rising medical fees, generous benefits and a growing number of lawsuits are all driving up costs in some no-fault states.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

The police report became available this morning. It cost me $13 to purchase a copy. The other driver was issued a citation for "hazardous driving," elsewhere defined as "failure to yield." I was not listed as having done anything wrong. I did not think I had, but you can never be sure until you see the official report. According to what I read, Michigan's no fault law allows the driver who is 51% or more at fault to be sued up to $1,000 to pay for repairs to the other car. I hope my insurance company will take care of that. We have different insurance companies. Hopefully they can just negotiate something reasonable. I do not know if the car can be repaired for $1,000--but I do not care how it looks, so long as it provides reliable transportation. It is important that I have a car I can use, since my mother is 95 and homebound--I do all her shopping, banking, and picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy.
Ron, thank heavens you aren't the person driving this Toyota pickup truck. S13

The exclamation of "Oh Shit!", from the lady on the right, really does carry the day. S22

Unbelievable video shows passengers flying as truck crashes through bus in Syracuse

Passengers left the bus without any attempt to help other passengers.