Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is This Awesome or What?
This is just an awesome story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleand...spartanntp
(09-15-2016, 07:52 PM)Palladin Wrote: This is just an awesome story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleand...spartanntp

Holy Cow, survived Auschwitz no less. I'm more than just a bit impressed. S22
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Not many did, but, we have a lady here in OR who did. Myra Kimmelman. I went to school with her son Gene and google him and you will find a successful man.

As a youth, I was best friends with a kid named Phil Jacobs and he's a big success ,too. Except his little brother was more successful, at one time Rickey was a wheel in Occidental Petroleum. Now, Rickey is into leftist activism big time as a gay activist.

I recall spending Friday nights with Phil and his wonderful mother would circle the table singing this beautiful prayer in Hebrew. No, I had no idea what she was saying, but, it was so beautiful. I wish now I had known the language because I figure she was praising YHWH, probably repeating a Psalm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/rick-jacobs

What are the odds in 1 small town I knew 2 semi famous Americans? Not good, it's true though. I also went to school with Charley Ergen. He owns Dish Network. I did not know Charlie personally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Ergen
(09-16-2016, 11:52 AM)Palladin Wrote: Not many did, but, we have a lady here in OR who did. Myra Kimmelman. I went to school with her son Gene and google him and you will find a successful man.

As a youth, I was best friends with a kid named Phil Jacobs and he's a big success ,too. Except his little brother was more successful, at one time Rickey was a wheel in Occidental Petroleum. Now, Rickey is into leftist activism big time as a gay activist.  

I recall spending Friday nights with Phil and his wonderful mother would circle the table singing this beautiful prayer in Hebrew. No, I had no idea what she was saying, but, it was so beautiful. I wish now I had known the language because I figure she was praising YHWH, probably repeating a Psalm.

Patrick, what in the name of Yahweh is it with you and those G-d Damned Acronyms? Seriously, if you were using it to mean "Yahweh", why didn't you just use two extra letters and get it right? I mean, Really...................... Gah
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Actually, YHWH is the full name for God given at the Burning Bush in Exodus 3:14. The Hebrew in which the Old Testament (except for the middle portion of Daniel) was written did not have any vowels--it was all consonants. Most scholars believe it was pronounced "Yahweh," except that the name was never pronounced--"Adonai" or Lord was substituted when spoken aloud. Even then, what most people take to be a name was actually a declarative statement: "I AM WHO I AM." That is how YHWH is translated in most versions of the Bible. Thus God denied humans the ability to actually name Him. He just gave Moses (and us) a description, which signifies that God is the Source of all existence. See Paul's statement about God that "in Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28).

The only actual name we have for God is the name of God the Son, "Yeshua Ha Mashiach." Yeshua means "God (Yah) is Salvation." Ha Mashiach means "The Messiah." Thus these are also basically descriptions. In Greek Yeshua becomes Iaysus (since masculine names cannot end in "a" in Greek), which in English becomes Jesus, since English usually begins names with a "J" instead of a "Y". And in English Messiah means Christ, which means "Annointed One." "Ha" is the definite article, "the." Those people who are part of the "sacred name" movement, do not really know what they are talking about. God is pleased to have us refer to our Saviour by His equivalent name in our own languages, since He gave to us His Son to be part of us, one with us. And that is the full--and still very limited--extent to which God allows us to name Deity. Which names consist mainly of descriptions.
Alright, I stand corrected. But all these acronyms............................ Gah

But without acronyms, we could not have acrostic games and puzzles! S1

It turns out there are over four million acronyms.

Here is a page you might find helpful: http://www.acronymfinder.com/
(09-16-2016, 03:09 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: But without acronyms, we could not have acrostic games and puzzles! S1

It turns out there are over four million acronyms.

Here is a page you might find helpful: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

I despise them! They are nothing more than laziness personified. Gah

OK. GMTA ROFL BTW & FYI KISS!
Face it, we live in the Acronym Revolution, propelled by all those youngsters who incessantly message their peers with their thumbs, and have to KISS so their thumbs won't fall off.

By the way, Wm, I checked that acronym website, and there are 21 different meanings for GMTA. So did you mean "Great Minds Think Alike," or "Give Me The Answer," or "Goals-Means Task Analysis"? I assume you did not mean "Global Mean Temperature Anomaly" or "Guam Mass Transit Authority." (Who ever knew Guam had mass transit?)

By the way, "OK" is an acronym, too. Some people spell it out as "OKay," though properly it should be "Okie-Dokie."
John,

Forget that for a minute, check this tracking number(USPS):

Arrives Monday or Tuesday
(09-16-2016, 06:28 PM)Palladin Wrote: John,

Forget that for a minute, check this tracking number(USPS):

Arrives Monday or Tuesday

Thanks Patrick.

(09-16-2016, 06:17 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: ...did you mean "Great Minds Think Alike,"
I guess it doesn't work? GMDTA.
That works. GMDTA only has one definition.
In this case John should know YHWH means the God of the Jews. That's the Jewish way of documenting, as the rabbis speak of God, "HaShem".
Y'know, I just contemplated the overuse of acronyms that so frustrate John. I think much of the overuse comes from the semi-illiteracy that is being promoted through our education system. Kids are lacking in math skills, since we have PC's and calculators that are far faster and more accurate than mere mortals. Those who are truly gifted in math skills use such aids to augment what they already know. Those who can't count change at a cash register use them as crutches. Same thing for vocabulary and basic communication skills. Many kids talk with their thumbs on iPhones rather than face-to-face. But thumb-talking is not very fast - and these kids also have a ridiculously short attention span. Acronyms are not just catch-alls for long words and concepts, they are also a crutch for down-sized vocabularies.

However, those who do have sufficient vocabularies not to need crutches see many acronyms as just new words with their own meanings. Keeping them straight requires aligning them with the context of the conversation. What is frustrating is seeing esoteric acronyms with no prerequisite defining clues to go by. Those with larger vocabularies are actually handicapped by this, because those who share a smaller contextual base can assume the meaning wanted because that is all they know. It's like "BTW" which stands for "by the way". It is so commonly used that even John uses it, but uses "BYW" because the keys are adjacent and he once said he just types it that way because that's what his fingers do - and people know what he means by it.

I look at acronyms as a chance to grow what I know, as if they are new words. What's more, because I love Sherlockian endeavors, in general, I also enjoying reasoning out what some person means with a buncha opaque letters that just sit there meaningless. If the message is something that is needed to be processed quickly, it may get annoying - but because this is the way the world works, I try to get a handle on them when used, so the next time they pop up they won't slow down brain-time.
(09-18-2016, 05:24 PM)WmLambert Wrote: However, those who do have sufficient vocabularies not to need crutches see many acronyms as just new words with their own meanings. Keeping them straight requires aligning them with the context of the conversation. What is frustrating is seeing esoteric acronyms with no prerequisite defining clues to go by. Those with larger vocabularies are actually handicapped by this, because those who share a smaller contextual base can assume the meaning wanted because that is all they know. It's like "BTW" which stands for "by the way". It is so commonly used that even [b]John uses it, but uses "BYW"[/b] because the keys are adjacent and he once said he just types it that way because that's what his fingers do - and people know what he means by it.

No, I used to type "BTY", because I was able to hold down the 'shift' key with my left pinkie finger, and then use my left index finger to type B, T, and then Y with my right index finger, without looking down. In order to type "BTW" I would have to look down at the keyboard first. But I don't do that anymore. I just spell it out.

I can understand why acronyms are used in the military, because it tends to confuse outsiders, and when lives are on the line, speed is important. But all this non-military crap is just laziness, most likely the result of smartphones and tablets.

But the skills and esoteric powers that young people are developing along with the smartphones and tablets may very well make up for the loss of traditional skills in spelling and articulation. I remember visiting a doctor's office--I think I was dropping off a résumé--and a patient's 2-year-old wandered into an adjacent office, and was skilled enough to be flipping between patient records. Even though this was immediately discovered, everyone was astonished that a mere 2-year-old was able to do this.
Did you really watch that whole thing Ronald? Spiteful

And if Energy is going to be obsolete, then what is going to replace it: levitation?

Did you really watch that whole fifty-three minute, fifty-four second thing Ronald?  Spiteful

And if Energy is going to be obsolete, then what is going to replace it: levitation?