Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Fiasco
In about a week or so, the upcoming Rio Olympics, will officially open with the torch ceremony.  At that time perhaps the greatest Olympic screw up will become official.  It will officially become "The Fiasco in Rio".  And the UK Guardian is pretty much predicting disaster: Rio 2016 buildup part of the chaotic and corrupt tradition of Olympic hosts:  Preparations have often been a mess but Rio’s buildup may be the most disorderly yet – and no matter how special the Games a disaster of unprecedented proportions will have already happened

And here are but a few more examples of the less than professional atmosphere in and around the Olympic site.  

Quote:Olympics 2016: Blocked toilets, exposed wires at Rio Athletes' Village

Blocked toilets, leaky pipes and exposed wires -- just a few of the reasons Australia's Olympic delegation has refused to move in to the athletes village, now open to arriving Olympians.

The village, comprised of 31 17-storey towers, opened its doors on Sunday, less than two weeks before the start of Rio's Summer Games on August 5. But the first day was marred by controversy.
"We felt that our building was not safe, because of a combination of plumbing and electrical issues," the Australian Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller told journalists, adding that a stress test had been carried out -- opening taps and turning on lights simultaneously -- and discovered "significant leakages."
"I have never experienced, this is my fifth Olympic games, a village in this state or lack of state of readiness in that point and time," Chiller said, adding the athletes would stay in hotels until the problems were fixed.

New Zealand jiu jitsu athlete Jason Lee said on Facebook that he was "kidnapped" by armed men in military police uniforms and forced to withdraw cash from two separate ATMs.

Jiu jitsu is not an Olympic sport, so Lee is not competing in the Games, but the former national jiu jitsu champion has lived in Rio for almost a year.

"I was threatened with arrest if I did not get in their private car and accompany them to two ATMs to withdraw a large sum of money for a bribe," he said on Facebook.

Rio 2016: More Russian athletes banned from Olympics

Quote:More Russian athletes have been banned from competing at next month's Olympics by their sports' governing bodies.

Federations must rule on whether Russians can compete in Rio following the country's doping scandal.

The Union Cycliste Internationale said three cyclists were withdrawn due to previous drugs cases, with another three implicated in the doping scandal.

Wrestler Viktor Lebedev, who returned a positive doping test at the 2006 Junior World Championships, was also banned.

Following a report conducted by Canadian law professor Richard McLaren, which said Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme from 2011 to 2015, the International Olympic Committee ruled any Russian athlete who has served a doping ban will not be eligible for Rio 2016.

So far, more than 110 of the 387-strong Russian team have been banned from the Games, which get under way on 5 August.

So facing a disgraceful PR outcome, Uncle Vladimir Vladimirovich will be holding his own "Olympics away from the Olympics" as a consolation prize.  I can just imagine the propaganda that that will be issued as a result, including the flurry of world records about to be set.  S13

And then there's the ecological wasteland

Quote:'THEY'RE LITERALLY TURNING TO S***' As rotting corpse pictured floating in Olympic venue, we reveal why Rio will be most shambolic games ever

Rotting corpses have been spotted floating at the rat-­infested sailing and wind-surfing venue as officials try to clean it up before the opening ceremony a week today.

[Image: nintchdbpict000254845378.jpg?w=960]

Athletes have been robbed at gunpoint and even allegedly kidnapped by gangs of rogue cops on the streets of Rio.

Meanwhile the Olympians’ “Disneyland for Athletes” accommodation has been rendered virtually uninhabitable by a putrid open sewer gushing through the village.

Swimmers and sailors have been warned not to open their mouths when competing in case they pick up infections from waters poisoned by human excrement.

Team GB has been forced to employ its own Rio plumber after discovering blocked toilets and leaking sewage pipes at their digs.

Roads are clogged with traffic while a new Metro line is due to be completed just four days before the £10billion Games begin, allowing no time for vital testing.

Will the Brazil Olympics Be a Disaster?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

But in an almost totally unprecedented example, the Brazilian citizenry is outraged enough to actually attack the torch bearers, in order to disrupt the run, or extinguish the flame.  

The Trials of The Olympic Torch

Protesters in Brazil halt Olympic torch relay and extinguish its flame

And this video below gives a good reason why so many are angry.  The way the government has treated the citizenry, especially the huge number of poor, the backlash is to be expected.  In all former cases, the host country has always been joyous for being able to host the olympics.  Well, in this case, not Brazil.  S13

2016 Olympics: What Rio doesn’t want the world to see

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Oh, a new topic! There will be more fun and things to read... S5
You're Welcome Fred. S22

The average Brazilian thinks these Olympics are another example of the 1% using state resources for their advantage and the returns are not "trickling down".

Similar to the political shift in the USA right where guys like myself now agree with some of the old communist pr campaign, some of our wealthiest corporations do own our government. They were right on that. We're just a way wealthier society than Brazil and it hasn't come to this here.

That last video is the typical way we're doing gentrification here. We just pay better. Large areas of Brooklyn that were 100% black are now Jewish, they're paying good rates for it:
http://thebrooklynink.com/2012/09/07/478...-bed-stuy/
Aside from the Zika virus, the whole Olympic decision for Rio faced an uphill battle from the beginning. It was made before the firing of past officials because of corruption, so I'm sure it was granted based on geo-political reasons, not for what was best for the Olympics nor Rio. To be sure, Soccer was a huge reason. The 200,000+ stadiums and Brazil team which is measurably the best in the world added prestige - but that was about it. It is a large country, but steeped in misery and poverty. The enclaves of wealthy elites are few and far between. The optimists thought the Olympics might breathe some change to those mired in hopeless poverty, but how do contracts to build an Olympic city of multiple residential towers for the athletes trickle down to the poor before the games? Afterward, consider them middle-class housing which will be outside the reach of those living in cardboard lean-tos. The society is so divided that it is almost caste-like.

Outside journalist warn of protests by the poor, but I see national pride as the main driving force. If the Brazilian athletes do well, those beaches will be full of celebration - not dissent.

In the past, Soccer was the best way for beach urchins, like Edson Arantes do Nascimentok, to become successful. Athletics has a way of being truly a meritocracy - but few survive the ordeal of poverty and diet to last. This is the reason I think the Brazilian people will be great fans of the games. Athletics has always been more than entertainment for them, and their national pride in their teams has always been startling for non-Brazilians to see. How many countries could support many 200,000 seat stadiums, even in places with more wealth? In the USA, we are proud of filling up 40K seats for our biggest sports teams. They fill their unimaginably huge stadiums all the time.
(07-29-2016, 10:28 AM)Palladin Wrote: That last video is the typical way we're doing gentrification here. We just pay better. Large areas of Brooklyn that were 100% black are now Jewish, they're paying good rates for it:
http://thebrooklynink.com/2012/09/07/478...-bed-stuy/

Wait!  That's not correct.  Did you even bother reading the article, or did you just "Skim" it and think it said what you wanted it to say?  

First off, that was an original Jewish community over a hundred years ago, not 100% Blacks.  And now they are simply moving back into the area they had previously vacated.  

AND those 100% Blacks you just said, were NEVER 100% American Blacks, because a good percentage of Jews never left the area.  They were  the influx of West Indian and Caribbean immigrants, who happened to be mostly Blacks.  Not 100%, and not American Blacks, but immigrants.  

Gah

(07-29-2016, 11:10 AM)WmLambert Wrote: Outside journalist warn of protests by the poor, but I see national pride as the main driving force. If the Brazilian athletes do well, those beaches will be full of celebration - not dissent.

So its "National Pride" that is forcing onlookers to attack the torch bearers, aye? Interesting interpretation. Shock

They are totally poor or totally wealthy, not a lot of in between. That's why they have such a dispute over these games, they perceive the wealthy are using them once again and only the wealthy developer will gain long term.

I guess you failed to watch John's videos. They do not paint the "capitalist pr" picture. These people do not see it as good, that's why they hate these games being in Rio. There isn't much capitalism in Brazil, that's the problem, there is fascism as John states and it is in place to enrich the wealthy, not others. If that happens, it is incidental and often ephemeral.
(07-29-2016, 11:20 AM)Palladin Wrote: They are totally poor or totally wealthy, not a lot of in between. That's why they have such a dispute over these games, they perceive the wealthy are using them once again and only the wealthy developer will gain long term.

I guess you failed to watch John's videos. They do not paint the "capitalist pr" picture. These people do not see it as good, that's why they hate these games being in Rio. There isn't much capitalism in Brazil, that's the problem, there is fascism as John states and it is in place to enrich the wealthy, not others. If that happens, it is incidental and often ephemeral.

I totally agree.   Its Fascism(Crony Capitalism), and the poor are not benefiting at all.   As a result, they are fed up and angry.

John,

Relating to the article on gentrification of Bedford/Steyvasant. Blacks made 100% 15 years ago, now it is almost 100% Jewish owned. I know it was largely white 70 years ago, that's not the point of the article.

Just used that example comparing it to the Brazil examples, same difference, we pay better is all. My daughter in law's mother sold her liquor store to a Jew recently, she said it was one of the last non Jewish properties left there.

I didn't say it was nefarious. She sold out for good money. Not due to social pressure.
Never mind. Its not worth it.

Palladin Wrote:guys like myself now agree with some of the old communist pr campaign
Me too. I agree with the arguments of the communists. I disagree with their solutions.

WmL Wrote:but how do contracts to build an Olympic city of multiple residential towers for the athletes trickle down to the poor before the games?
It doesn't. It's the opposite: It trickles up from the poors to the riches.

First, you have middle class poors who will pay tickets several hundreds of US dollars for a seat (multiply by 200,000 for each event).

Then you have the real poors who can't afford tickets but who will watch the adds on their smartphone and tv and then buy the advertised goods.

Everytime a poor buys something advertised at the Olympics, a few cents goes to some billionaire's mutual fund who has so much money he doesn't know where to invest.

Trickling down to the poors LOL S2

Politics, corruption, embezzelment, big money, statist ventures, overpaid contracts and underpaid workers... that's the Olympics.

Now you can compare Rio to Sochi. Have fun.
Fred,

That's a good point, their solutions were worse than the problems.
Training for the Rio Olympica S22

[Image: hazmat-surfing-photos-raise-awareness-of...eans-2.jpg]

[Image: sub-mrz080216-color_5_orig.jpg]

Australia is off to a great start in Rio!

[Image: viPmSH4.jpg]

Here is yet one more case of disgruntled Brazilian citizens unhappy with the olympics. S13

[Image: gWWoRzD.gif]

This "young lady" should be well worth keeping in one's radar this olympics. Spiteful

Athlete with No Womb or Ovaries but Internal Testes Will Compete with Women in Rio

[Image: _83104355_caster_semenya_getty.jpg]

Here's the latest buzz going on in the press: The Internet Is Freaked Out About Those Weird Purple Spots All Over Michael Phelps' Body.

[Image: Phelps_2964012f.jpg]