Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPN Anyone?
Is anyone here using VPN, when they head out on the Net?  I'm just curious because I have decided to get with the program and begin surfing anonymously.   I'm sure Ronald has it, but nobody has mentioned it here.

What is a VPN? And what can you do with it?

As most of you may know, I'm a satisfied and loyal user of Opera Browser.  I've been using it almost since the beginning, back in the middle of the 1990s.  I use both the old version and the new one that is based on the Google Chrome frame.  Its faster, but not like the older version, but I still have good thoughts on the original one.  

However, there is a new version, a builders model, that is now out, and it has free built in VPN(virtual private network).  There are links at the bottom of the article, which include Windows, Mac, and Linus.  

I'd be interested in others, if they use VPN to describe how well it works, and which one they use.

Get a Free VPN with Opera's Newest Developer Build [How-To]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I downloaded Opera developer, and have enable VPN, I'll give it a try.
I've always been a huge Opera person. They have always been the little guy on the block, and I like the little guys. They are now open source, and that has enabled them to garner an awful lot of outside input. They have a solid core of loyal fans, and they are small enough that hackers aren't interested in screwing them up. They'd rather go after the big guys. Its also very fast.

I'm just starting to use this Builders addition, but am also using my earlier browser at the same time. That way I can have more than a few things going at the same time.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I did a speed test, my results are as follows:

PING 14 ms DOWNLOAD 61.90 Mbps UPLOAD 1.04 Mbps
Does it speed up downloading? 61.9 is 3X my best at the house on wifi.
(07-19-2016, 07:07 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I did a speed test, my results are as follows:

PING 14 ms  DOWNLOAD 61.90 Mbps  UPLOAD 1.04 Mbps

I will confess that I'm not up on the numbers. What is your conclusion Ronald?

I have the second fastest Internet available from my ISP. I just ran a speed test using Chrome, here are the results.

Ping. 11 ms Download Speed 63.94 Mbps Upload Speed 1.05

This is the speed test used. http://www.speedtest.net/?test-2
I am not aware of ANY browser that actually affects the actual speed of one's Internet connection.

They load web pages at different speeds, yes, but the actual speed of your Internet connection?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(07-19-2016, 08:29 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I have the second fastest Internet available from my ISP. I just ran a speed test using Chrome, here are the results.

Ping. 11 ms   Download Speed 63.94 Mbps       Upload Speed 1.05

Hmmm. Both are still very close to each other, since both are really Chrome at the root. I'll bet you both of them are faster than the rest of the browsers.

I also have Chrome that I have used as a backup, but I rarely use it. There is something about all those Big Guys that I just don't trust. I don't believe for one moment that Google isn't able to keep tabs on their Chrome users, just like Microsoft and Apple.

Color me Paranoid, but open source that is built by willing individuals does not have surveillance and snooping in mind.

I've really been meaning to get rid of of Microsoft Windows, and switch to Linux for that very reason. All those businesses are loaded with card carrying Jackasses, and trust Jackasses about as far as I can throw them by their eyelashes. I've got to get switched over, and won't feel comfortable until I have done it. Spiteful

(07-19-2016, 08:33 PM)JohnWho Wrote: I am not aware of ANY browser that actually affects the actual speed of one's Internet connection.

They load web pages at different speeds, yes, but the actual speed of your Internet connection?

You're right, I was just having fun. If I ran this test at 3 am it would be faster.
(07-19-2016, 08:56 PM)John L Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 08:29 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I have the second fastest Internet available from my ISP. I just ran a speed test using Chrome, here are the results.

Ping. 11 ms   Download Speed 63.94 Mbps       Upload Speed 1.05

Hmmm.  Both are still very close to each other, since both are really Chrome at the root.  I'll bet you both of them are faster than the rest of the browsers.  

I also have Chrome that I have used as a backup, but I rarely use it.  There is something about all those Big Guys that I just don't trust.  I don't believe for one moment that Google isn't able to keep tabs on their Chrome users, just like Microsoft and Apple.  

Color me Paranoid, but open source that is built by willing individuals does not have surveillance and snooping in mind.  

I've really been meaning to get rid of of Microsoft Windows, and switch to Linux for that very reason.  All those businesses are loaded with card carrying Jackasses, and trust Jackasses about as far as I can throw them by their eyelashes.  I've got to get switched over, and won't feel comfortable until I have done it.  Spiteful

I installed several versions of Linux on an old laptop, I didn't like it.
I'm still going to give it a go, and keep an open mind. S22

There are versions of Linux that you can download, install on a CD, and run off the CD.

This allows you to try Linux without wiping out your system.

Maybe that is worth a try?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Seems to me it doesn't enhance download speed then.
This contributor to PCWorld is singing the praises of the new Opera Builders edition.

Opera’s 4 standout features that make it competitive with Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. With ad-blocking, battery saving and more, small, scrappy Opera is bidding for big-time market share.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope they remain the little guy on the block. That way the Gawd Awful Hackers will not be inclined to hack into the program and screw things up as they do with Microsoft, Google, and Mozilla. I installed Chrome earlier this week, and since the new Opera uses the Chrome architecture, they share a lot in common.

I use NordVPN cost was USD48 per annum, though I note their prices have gone up so I'll be shopping around when I'm up for renewal in a couple of months. It slows my connection down slightly but it enables me to view websites otherwise blocked from Thailand, and prevents an ever increasingly paranoid junta from seeing where and what I do.

NordVPN are based in Panama so outside most jurisdictions, they keep no records of where you go so governments can request my browsing history until they're blue in the face, they just plain don't exist.
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Is quadrat sill alive and kicking in Thailand?
No idea, I never met him in real life.
If I recall he lives/lived in Pattaya, which is about 1000km north and east of me by road, or 700km as the crow flies.
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Yeah, we miss his unorthodox use of the English language. If he'd promise to be at least half-way civil, we wouldn't restrict him to the Sand-Box. S6

Has he tried to log in recently?