Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Olympics
The Rio Olympics is not just about the Zika virus and the mosquito-borne fears. Brazil declares financial disaster.

Francisco Dornelles, the former vice governor, became acting top executive when elected Gov. Luiz Fernando Pezao took a leave of absence to undergo cancer treatment. "...a dip in revenues from taxes and oil royalties was "stopping the state of Rio de Janeiro from honoring its commitment to the organization of the Olympic and Paralympic Games."

"Rio's state government is in such dire straits that two of its hospitals were taken over by the Rio de Janeiro city government to allow doctors to keep receiving their paychecks. Some police stations are so underfunded that they have asked neighbors to donate basic items like toilet paper. Public workers and retirees have suffered months-long delays in receiving their money."

"...Dornelles had asked the country's acting President Michel Temer for nearly $900 million in emergency funds..."
The Russian athletes have been banned from this Olympics, because of their continuing doping scandals. At least we won't have to wonder where the Russian women should be allowed to use bathroom/locker room/shower facilities. S5
It wasn't Brazil, it was the state of Rio that declared the emergency.
(06-18-2016, 02:53 PM)Palladin Wrote: It wasn't Brazil, it was the state of Rio that declared the emergency.

Yeah, he got carried away with that title link.

However, Brazil is also in deep doodoo financially, and I'm interested in watching to see just how they help resolve all parts of this monumental "Cluster Foxtrot". Spiteful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Agreed, Brazil is under dramatic financial stress right now. I think Argentina is also.
I just copy/pasted from the url to make the link. "Brazil's Rio State" was too unwieldy, so I didn't use the whole thing - I figured the article, itself, would dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Sorry, if it wasn't sufficient unto itself, so noone needed to read it.
(06-18-2016, 08:14 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: The Russian athletes have been banned from this Olympics, because of their continuing doping scandals. At least we won't have to wonder where the Russian women should be allowed to use bathroom/locker room/shower facilities. S5

Russian athletes are no long banned, these Olympics will be a flop.
One major US golfer said he ain't going to Rio today. I wouldn't go myself, why take the risk?
It's winter in Rio, so there is little risk of getting bit by a mosquito, especially in an urban area.
(06-22-2016, 11:19 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: It's winter in Rio, so there is little risk of getting bit by a mosquito, especially in an urban area.

Do they have mosquitoes in Miami in the winter? I've been there around Christmas time, a good while ago, and it was still pretty warm. Can't remember if there were mosquitoes out. You go there during the winter.

The reason why I am asking is because Rio is about the same distance from the Equator as Miami. In fact it may be a little closer.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Miami is about latitude 25, while Rio is about latitude 23, so Rio is closer to the equator than Miami.
(06-23-2016, 12:36 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Miami is about latitude 25, while Rio is about latitude 23, so Rio is closer to the equator than Miami.

Yeah, I went to Google Maps and it did look closer. So, there should also be mosquitoes in Rio, even in the winter. Its just a guess though.

[Image: v29oDEajDoG-abLDHvs95jlwbXWIg-ud7kQ3R6s5...9a8e21ba81]
Nice............ S13

But they have more than that to worry about: Four terror suspects 'tried to travel to Brazil for Olympics'.

I'll bet you they would just love to have a rehash of the 1972 Munich Olympics, but on a grander scale.

This should rejoyce mv: Beach
Squatting Slavs In Tracksuits Wrote:Olympics results looking good
[Image: 14117885_329811250684504_322710098619688...e=584EFFC3]
f