Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Importance of Naval Guns
I thought JohnL would enjoy read this.
(05-03-2016, 05:44 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I thought JohnL would enjoy read this.

And I really did Ronald.  I had it set aside until today.  I never really realized the diversity of the guns available.  While that 5" gun is nice, I believe I would rather have a combination of 76mm Oto, and the newer variety of 155" gun for long distance bombartment.  Between the two, with the Mod2 50cal taking on the small stuff, a ship would have a perfect combination of ballistics.  

[Image: 8b3b519b09866bf20e458d761585ce8e.jpg]
76mm - 120 rpm, holy cow!!

It would certainly cut down drastically on the need for missiles, which can be shot down, and the shells cannot.

Thanks for the article.  S22
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

redundant post.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Thirty years ago, the inside of naval guns looked just like the inside of a tank.
Oto Melara 76/62 Super Rapid

Gerald Bull's 155mm gun is the apex of long range artillery systems. Its range and accuracy is unsurpassed.

BAE Systems 155mm Advanced Gun System AGS Long Range Land Attack Projectile LRLAP 480p

Yesterday there was a frigate parade of lithuanian and othe NATO frigate in exercice in the Blatic Sea. I have always been surprised of how few and small guns were on these ships. Just one 30-50 mm and a machine gun.
What armament did the Iranians have when they captured the US Sailors a few weeks ago?
(05-15-2016, 01:08 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Yesterday there was a frigate parade of lithuanian and othe NATO frigate in exercice in the Blatic Sea. I have always been surprised of how few and small guns were on these ships. Just one 30-50 mm and a machine gun.

I looked for this on the web, but can't come up with anything. Do you have a link to it? S1

I rarely have a link for things that I saw in reality...
all I could find was this lithuanian forum
You look at pictures (of last year) and of the UUS Donald Cook which was there last month...
Usually I can pick things up on Google if I end it all with "news". I tried "Lithuanian exercise news" and "NATO and Lithuanian exercise news", and nothing. Nobody in the West has picked it up then.

Incidentially, that single gun in that forward turret carries more firepower than all of the guns on any destroyer in the past, with all of their barrels. I used to think it was just a 'giving up' of one thing for another, but its not. Naval artillery is so sophisticated and automated today that having the right firepower automatically makes these ships real killers.

That Oto system and the new 155mm, or as they used to say, the 15.5cm( S5 ) can rain down a hell of a lot of pure destruction.

I searched "NATO and Lithuanian navy drill news 2016" and got a full page of 2015 news. Looks like in 2015 the exercice was more important.

Only this is relevant albeit not acurate.

Can't find anything about the parade at the Klaipeda port, even in lithuanian, except this forum. Or some pages written prior to that day listing the schedule of events.
If they mix high firing rate with elecronic control and semi-guided projectiles, then yes, a single gun does the job. Now they can fire satellite guided or radar seeking shells. This is amazing.
The prblem with a single turet is that if it's out of service they have no mean of returning fire... But one turet is certainly much easier and much cheaper on small ships. And in this case better have two small ships but fast and with low radar print than one big one with many guns on it. IMO in the past they put more turets, with more guns in each to compensate with the low rate of fire and low accuracy.
(05-16-2016, 05:34 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: If they mix high firing rate with elecronic control and semi-guided projectiles, then yes, a single gun does the job. Now they can fire satellite guided or radar seeking shells. This is amazing.
The prblem with a single turet is that if it's out of service they have no mean of returning fire... But one turet is certainly much easier and much cheaper on small ships. And in this case better have two small ships but fast and with low radar print than one big one with many guns on it. IMO in the past they put more turets, with more guns in each to compensate with the low rate of fire and low accuracy.

Fred, here's something else about those radar guided, quick firing guns. They are computer controlled and it gives the best shot pattern and effect on a target. In other words, being within range, the gun can elevate the barrel completely, fire a shot, drop the barrel a little, shoot another, and then repeat this on down the range. And then have ALL of the munitions hit the target at exactly the same time.

Its called 'TOT' "Time on Target", where one or two automatic guns can simulate an entire battery of guns under normal conditions. Its just amazing what automatic, computer controlled guns can do. S22

There is a curve where firing almost verticaly will hit at the same place as firing horizontaly. But "down the range", in between, the shells will fly past the target because rising the barrel throws the projectiles further. Unless they can control the propulsion power too... Do they?
(05-17-2016, 06:41 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: There is a curve where firing almost verticaly will hit at the same place as firing horizontaly. But "down the range", in between, the shells will fly past the target because rising the barrel throws the projectiles further. Unless they can control the propulsion power too... Do they?

Fred, they can't be elevated that high. Remember, there is a breech mechanism on the other side of the hinge. Even under ideal circumstances it would not be possible to raise them that high.

Ok, so what's the technique to drop all the shells at the same time? If you rise the barrel the shell will fall too far....
(05-19-2016, 06:43 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Ok, so what's the technique to drop all the shells at the same time? If you rise the barrel the shell will fall too far....

Fred, the technique to accomplish this is called "MRSI", (Multiple Rounds Simultaneous Impact). You can find the explanation for it all right here.

Obviously the higher the barrel's elevation, the longer the round will remain airborne.  A computer can tell you how to mix elevation, and amount of propellant, in order to loft enough projectiles, with the projectiles being faster as the trajectory becomes more flat.  

The new 155mm Crusader system, being developed by the US Army, is supposed to be able to fire multiple rounds and having them strike the target at the same time.

Quickely: I understand that they use rounds with variable propellant charges. All these rounds must be fired in the right order. I hope they never do mistake because if one round is misplaced one step forth or back, all the shells may fall in the water.