Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Flavored" bourbon
"You must be over 21 to post here" Hiney

OK, so I would assume we all know that various bourbons all each have a distinctive taste of its own. Jim Beam and Maker's Mark, for example, both conform to the bourbon "formula" but most can easily tell them apart during a taste test.

In the last half-dozen or so years though, we see "flavored" bourbons such as Cherry, Honey, Maple, Vanilla, Apple, and more. (Can't wait for tutti-frutti.)

While the bourbon purists may object, I've found some of these quite pleasant. Jim Beam's Red Stag (cherry) is soothing and I haven't found one of the honey bourbons that wasn't smooth although one or two I've tried are too sweet in my opinion.

Tried Jim Beam's Apple Bourbon today and "on the rocks" it is a winner.

Oh, I'm not one of those "it has a hint of vanilla and a mild corn notes" type person, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying America's genuine corn whiskey. In fact, lately I've been mixing (half and half) a cherry bourbon and a honey bourbon. Works for me.

Anyone else here enjoy bourbon as an adult libation?
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Not any more JW. I've almost totally excluded alcohol. I believe the last scotch I had was over a year ago. I don't even drink beers any longer. Somehow, I'd much rather have my home made green tea with mint added to the mix.

I guess my tastes have changed. I don't even pay attention to sports either. I even used to be a rabid U.Tennessee fan, but since Coach Pat Head Summit retired, I don't even follow it. Incidentally, she has the most college wins of any college coach at 1089 wins.

Do you think this has something to do with me getting to be an old fart? Or just changing tastes?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Can't be "old-fartism" or I'd have it too.

S1
(10-25-2015, 08:49 PM)John L Wrote: ...Do you think this has something to do with me getting to be an old fart? Or just changing tastes?

All things are cyclical. interests wax and wane just like anything. If you follow grandchildren, or others in your life, quite often their efforts trigger interest in your part, especially when you know things that can enhance their success and enjoyment. How could you not?

I haven't been to a high school football game since my kids went to college. Doesn't mean the local games aren't as fun to watch - just that my personal interests are piqued in other directions, now.

I guess that if I had no family interests to involve me, I might attend some local games just like I used to, but since I do, there is barely time to do squat.

As for being an "old fart", I try to avoid offering unsolicited advice, but I can't resist encouraging them with a little advice during a game or practice that helps without being obnoxious. For instance, at a U10 soccer match when most parents cheer their kids for shooting but missing the goal, I might shout, "land on your shooting foot!" But I also add, "good try!"
One good thing about these flavor-infused whiskeys, bourbons, vodkas, etc. is that most of the time you can buy one of those miniature bottles that is only a bit over an ounce or so but it does give you the chance to try something without spending a lot on a bottle you don't like.
Can you mix Alka-Seltzer with liquor or even with fruit juice?

Doctors always say to take low-dose aspirin at bedtime for heart health. I find Alka-seltzer works the same but also settles the stomach.
Today I "scored" one of these (for 99 cents at a local thrift shop):

[Image: glencairn-150x150.jpg]

The Glencairn Glass

I would have thought it is just marketing hype, but the Glencairn is highly regarded by craftsman "whisky" tasters everywhere.
What kind of thrift store? And was it just a one-of-a-kind JW?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Forty Creek Whiskey is made locally, it's a new distillery that is winning lots of awards.

Watch all six videos, they are really interesting.

(04-27-2016, 06:28 PM)John L Wrote: What kind of thrift store?  And was it just a one-of-a-kind JW?

It is one of the Habitat for Humanity "Restore" thrift shops.

You can find a lot of great glassware at the thrift stores, you just have to take the time to look.

I'm just very selective but otherwise all sorts of unique whiskey and beer glasses pass through these places and usually sell - at least here - for a dollar or less.