Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sister's cat was just killed by a dog
My sister's cat was just killed by a dog down the street. We have a leash law here in Troy, so the police are investigating. Someone told my sister they saw a dog slinging around a cat, and it was our Kitty. I will miss her, and my sister is really sad. It's only been about eight months since my cat, Watson died, and 12 months since Sherlock died. Kitty was a pretty Calico, about 18 years old. She used to walk with Donna down the street, and people would remark on how unusual that was. When she was outside and saw me, she would always walk toward me to greet me.
Sorry to hear the sad news Ron.

I do have a question though. Why is it that dogs must be placed on a leash, and cats do not? Why the inequality? Personally, I think they all should be leashed.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

The argument about leashing dogs and not cats is that dogs are known to go around in packs, and dogs tend to be more aggressive than cats.

Have you ever seen a cat on a leash? It looks rather ridiculous. I think cats should be kept strictly indoors, and never be allowed outside. They are fine with that, if that is how they are raised from birth. My two cats were fine with it. In fact, if you opened a door to the outside, Sherlock would head the other way. Of course, out in the country, where you want barn cats to control the rat and mouse population, that is a different situation.
Here's something just for you Ron. S22

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Our obese cat rarely left our fenced backyard which is heavily treed and has large perennial gardens, the one day he did manage to get out he was snatched by a coywolf and immediately killed. Coywolves are a hybrid species, I saw another one walking down my street around 5:30 am not that long ago, they're beautiful looking animals.
(10-21-2015, 10:58 AM)WarBicycle Wrote: Our obese cat rarely left our fenced backyard which is heavily treed and has large perennial gardens, the one day he did manage to get out he was snatched by a coywolf and immediately killed. Coywolves are a hybrid species, I saw another one walking down my street around 5:30 am not that long ago, they're beautiful looking animals.

Ronald, did I tell you about the one I say in the draw, in back of the house, last summer? I've seen two of them in just the last year, but I am always on the lookout for them.

Our neighborhood association is very aware of their presence. I've made sure of that, since lots of cats are coming up missing here all the time. I keep a very close eye on Charlie, because one of them could carry him off in a heartbeat.

There was a documentary aired in Canada earlier this year about the coywolf. We have lots of them, but they're not a danger to the public. One of their favorite places to sleep is in the grassy space on either side of our major highways. Our major highways are fenced on both sides of the road to prevent deer running out into traffic. It also keeps out humans and is, therefore, a safe place for coywolf to build a den. Here's a link to the documentary, you will have to used a proxy to view it as it is only available to Canadians.
(10-21-2015, 12:21 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: There was a documentary aired in Canada earlier this year about the coywolf. We have lots of them, but they're not a danger to the public. One of their favorite places to sleep is in the grassy space on either side of our major highways. Our major highways are fenced on both sides of the road to prevent deer running out into traffic. It also keeps out humans and is, therefore, a safe place for coywolf to build a den. Here's a link to the documentary, you will have to used a proxy to view it as it is only available to Canadians.

Yeah, its this one:

I believe I had a thread post dedicated to the Coywolf. You must have missed it. Hey, David Suzuki isn't narrating this one.

I saw that one as well.
(10-21-2015, 04:13 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I saw that one as well.

Actually the video is the same thing. For some reason, Dr Suzuki was not the one that they seems to want. Can't say I blame them. S22

Suzuki is global warming nutcase.
(10-21-2015, 06:27 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: Suzuki is global warming nutcase.

Correct. Obviously his Phd has nothing to do with geology, or Quaternary science, or he's know this is a total hype.

(10-21-2015, 08:12 PM)John L Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 06:27 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: Suzuki is global warming nutcase.

Correct. Obviously his Phd has nothing to do with geology, or Quaternary science, or he's know this is a total hype.

His expertise is in fruit flies, the Australians made a fool out of him a couple of years ago, here's the

(10-21-2015, 10:20 AM)John L Wrote: Here's something just for you Ron. S22

My youngest brother, when he was little, used to say that the cat is "cuting."
Cat Lives Matter!
Coywolf was back last night, its tracks were on the driveway leading to the backyard, I measured them and they were just under 4 inches in length.
(02-14-2016, 09:43 AM)WarBicycle Wrote: Coywolf was back last night, its tracks were on the driveway leading to the backyard, I measured them and they were just under 4 inches in length.

In the last couple of years, I have seen two of them, without a doubt. They resemble many mixed breed dogs that have German Shepard mix. Their gait is like a dog's, but still has a bit of bounce, like the coyote. They're spreading out all along the East Coast, and their preferred diet is whatever they can catch on the run.

I told my neighborhood facebook followers that they are moving in, in force, but nobody comments on it. About all I read is that someone's cat has come up missing, and it goes on and on. People just have a hard time believing that they are even in our cities and suburbs. I'm amazed at the willful ignorance. Yet they still wring their hands over their poor missing cat, which they allow to run all over the place, as if cats have special privileges over dogs. After all, so they say, cats are made for that sort of thing, and need to get out and commune with nature. Well, nature in the form of coywolves, are having a great, and tasty pallet to choose from.

Here's one of my comments. And note that everyone is mysteriously silent. Next time someone begins boo-hooing over their sweet little Fluffy not coming home, I'm going to just post a "LOL, Told you so" comment and then watch the outrage from the neighborhood for being so insensitive and uncaring. What a crock of Shit! Gah

They are not afraid of humans, they will ignore us provided we are not close to their den.
My dog is never kept on leash when we walk. When he goes outside alone, he never goes further than the neighbor's fence across street and come back after a few minutes (faster when it rains). He is on leash only when my daughter want to walk him and I stay at home. Because if I stay at home he will never agree to leave me. So my daughter had to fix the leaash and pull him by the neck. Then after a few meters outside, they walk just fine together.

But my dog has never killed a cat. He did bark on them, sometimes, and run after them. But he never bited them. In some instances he also befriended them (sniffing their rear). At one point I belived my dog became catophyle! But he wasn't.

He did killed a few hens and a wild partridge. But that was by instinct, not by racism.

Other dogs can be very agressive but it depends how they are risen by their owner.
I see so many people, who have unruly dogs, and its their fault. They never established themselves as 'pack leader' and the dog assumes it has that role. If Charlie needs to do something, he will politely ask me. For instance, if he is on my bed, where he loves to take naps, and wants to get off, he will give me a pleading grunt, and I know he wants to get down and go play with Gizmo. I've trained him that way, and there is no question who is the pack leader(Alpha Male).