Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Burning Man Festival
Holy Cow, I never knew anything about this event before. Where have I been? This title for a story over at the Daily Mail, peaked my attentiong.

Who do you send to patrol a week-long festival of excess that's held miles from civilization in the desert? Armed feds, volunteer 'Earth guardians' and dogs with goggles arrive at Burning Man

The more I started reading about his event, the more I was astonished at how huge it is. And in the middle of the desert, no less. I checked Wikipedia, and here is what they have on it. And here is the images page, where you can find hundreds of pics about the event.

You can even do a Google search and just put in "Burningman Youtube" and there are lots of videos of this event. Its simply amazing! Here's just one.

Here's another.

What are your favorite pictures, showing art, sculpture, people, etc. The last two years, there were over sixty-five thousand participants, out in the middle of the desert. Its like something out of the early Mad Max series, only its a big get together.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Getting nekid and taking drugs with 10s of thousands of folks and you're surprised at the numbers? This is the largest party on earth John, people come from overseas to this thing.

Add in infant human sacrifices on altars of fire and you could actually see what life was like in Canaan before the Jews moved in AND you will have figured out why the Jews kept being wooed by the pagan gods.

With the exception of the child sacrifices, it's just a real big party, drugs, sex and rock and roll, etc. "Radical self expression" is the theme.
From what I understand, wealthy millionaires and billionaires are entering the mix as well. They even have an airfield where they can fly in individually.

One other thing I noticed is that they are well mannered.

I had never heard of the festival before, until it was reported on the Daily Mail. I must be too square to be with the In-in-in-Crowd. S7
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Yea, may of the participants are not happy with the billionaires. This is supposed to be an expression of whatever and billionaires coming in their luxurious multi million dollar campers isn't what they are about.

Biggest group is from silicon valley region BTW. Shocker!

Too square? Me, too. Even as a sex obsessed teen, too much blatant paganism here for me to be comfortable with back then.
Today is the halfway point of the festival, and things are definitely rocking. And even the Feds are getting in on the action.

Undercover FBI agents spy on Burning Man festival to prevent 'terrorism' and test out new 'intelligence collection' technology'

I'll bet even the agents are getting an eyeful. Spiteful

No primae facie evidence anyone is violating federal terrorism laws, no warrants, no probable cause for terrorism, but, the FBI is surveilling what is essentially a silly pagan festival.

Man, is there anything our government doesn't have the right to spy on with no reason except they want to?
One huge plus about Burning Man is that cell phones and being connected is out. They're having too much fun going native to care. S6

And now the desert exodus is about to begin,....until next year.

[Image: 2C043DAB00000578-0-image-a-4_1441551424267.jpg]

Billionaires crashing the party? ... pshaw! ... and dried up old celebrity prunes ... lugging around even more desiccated celebrities.

Quote:It was a spectacle that not even he probably could have imagined, as actress Susan Sarandon led a march with his ashes into a temporary church built as an art installation in the desert for the week-long festival.

The church was scheduled to burn as part of the event on Saturday after the "man", a giant wooden structure, burned.

No mention anywhere of the carbon footprint of this event ... funny.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(09-06-2015, 04:53 PM)mr_yak Wrote: No mention anywhere of the carbon footprint of this event ... funny.

No importante don't you know. These folks really, really care. And it is the feeling, not the result, which counts most. S22

I have been wondering, since finding out about this event, who polices up the place?

(09-06-2015, 06:33 PM)John L Wrote: I have been wondering, since finding out about this event, who polices up the place?

Hopefully the "beautiful people" have learned their lesson after Altamont ... then again, there's maybe a whole new crop of "beautiful people" who are blissfully ignorant. S11 But I haven't heard of a whole lot of slaughters in past years ... so hopefully it's the former. It's possible that the prune queen mentioned earlier was at that particular disaster ... so maybe she is in a capacity to advise. Who knows?
.....edit....

Apparently, no Hell's Angels are involved. From the trustworthy Wiki page ... apparently BLM is the primary.

Quote:Safety, policing and regulations
Bureau of Land Management officers and a Ranger at Burning Man
FBI files on Burning Man. The FBI has been spying on Burning MAn since 2010.[114]

Black Rock City is patrolled by various local and state law enforcement agencies as well as the Bureau of Land Management Rangers. Burning Man also has its own in-house group of volunteers, the Black Rock Rangers,[115] who act as informal mediators when disputes arise between participants.

Firefighting, emergency medical services (EMS), mental health, and communications support is provided by the volunteer Black Rock City Emergency Services Department (ESD). Three "MASH"-like stations are set up in the city: station 3, 6 and 9. Station 6 is staffed by physicians and nurses working with Humboldt General Hospital in Winnemucca, Nevada (HGH), while Stations 3 and 9 are staffed by Black Rock City ESD personnel. While Station 3 and 9 provide emergency services and basic life support, the volunteers are generally doctors, nurses, EMTs/paramedics, and firefighters. Both station 3 and 9 have a small fire engine available in addition to a smaller four-wheel drive fire suppression unit and Quick response vehicle for medical emergencies.

The FBI has been spying on Burning Man since 2010[116].
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Yak,

Funny you mentioned "carbon footprint". There was an article about a week ago that tallied the CO2 thing up and it is an AGW disaster. The author was upset at the whole thing.

I have to say this, I do not know how those people get all that stuff out there, then out of there and still have time in a week to have the big wing ding they do.
(09-07-2015, 01:52 PM)Palladin Wrote: Yak,

Funny you mentioned "carbon footprint". There was an article about a week ago that tallied the CO2 thing up and it is an AGW disaster. The author was upset at the whole thing.

I have to say this, I do not know how those people get all that stuff out there, then out of there and still have time in a week to have the big wing ding they do.

Not all of that junk burns. Which leads to another conundrum. My guess is that this area of "pristine desert" is treated like a big landfill year after year. Unless someone has pictures of convoys of garbage trucks hauling all that crap out, I believe they probably bulldoze all the leftover trash into the ground and then cover it up, tamp it down and flatten it out for next year. I wonder what sort of 'special' BLM permit one has to obtain for that sort of thing? When was the last time you heard of a BLM lease being issued for a dump? Compare and contrast with ranchers who are besieged by the same agency for fear some of their cattle might step on a tortoise or two. Can you imagine the stink if it was discovered that there were tortoises or some obscure engendered lizards or horned toads at this hip pyro party site? The horror!!! The horror!!!

If you think this isn't going to genrate mountains of trash ... think again. Some of the close up views look suspiciously like the Syrian refugee camp that Fred posted earlier.
[Image: REU-USA_-57.jpg]
-- Henry Mencken
And now for something completely different.

Quote:Burning Man founder addresses diversity problem by suggesting black people don't like camping because of slavery ...
-- Henry Mencken
(09-07-2015, 10:06 PM)mr_yak Wrote: And now for something completely different.

Quote:Burning Man founder addresses diversity problem by suggesting black people don't like camping because of slavery ...

I guess we now have a pretty good idea as to his political orientation, don't we? Spiteful

That's a fairly goofy piece of logic. "My peeps were held as slaves, so I refuse to go camping".

I think it's probably they don't have the disposable income many of us do and need their money to pay bills instead of running around nekid and barking at the moon in a desert.
(09-08-2015, 11:23 AM)Palladin Wrote: That's a fairly goofy piece of logic. "My peeps were held as slaves, so I refuse to go camping".

I think it's probably they don't have the disposable income many of us do and need their money to pay bills instead of running around nekid and barking at the moon in a desert.

That's about as good an explanation I've heard yet. S22

Oh No! The Burning Man is really, really PO'd with Quiznos. And here's the reason why.

Whoa!

That makes me want to run around naked in the desert with a sign that says "Peace, Love, Joy, Fire!"

while eating a Quizno sub!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(09-14-2015, 09:40 AM)JohnWho Wrote: Whoa!

That makes me want to run around naked in the desert with a sign that says "Peace, Love, Joy, Fire!"

while eating a Quizno sub!

JW, if you haven't done that already, you've got one more chance to get with it.  This week, all of this week, is the Burning Man 2016 extravaganza.  Next Sunday they will set fire to main exhibit, but haven't seen pics of the main exhibit it yet.  

As usual, Daily Main has this event covered: The fuse is lit! 'Dreamers and doers' descend on Black Rock City for world famous Burning Man festival that operates purely on a barter system (unless it's coffee or ice).  This year's event has been building up in the media, for several weeks now, and its Time To Party!

Quote:Burning Man kicked off on Sunday as thousands of revelers made their way into the Nevada Desert for eight days of art and alternative living.

The annual festival, which began in 1986 as a bonfire, takes place in Nevada's Black Rock Desert.

Thirty years after its first incarnation, the event is so populous with tens of thousands of people attending, the dried up lake where the event is held becomes Black Rock City.

Burning Man's 'Vetruvian Man' effigy raised at 2016 festival

[Image: 636078963392919877-Airport1022.JPG]
Early arrivals setting up camp

Here's the Live Stream that just keeps on going......................

Burning Man Live Stream

Here are some early shots from this 2016 event.

[Image: 636078963165002416-Airport1004.JPG]
Black Rock City Airport is now up and running, and bringing all the flyboys home.

[Image: 636078963256107000-Airport1013.JPG]
Early Arrivals filtering in ahead of time.

[Image: 636079208976090118-BurningArt007.JPG]

[Image: 636079209011346344-BurningArt004.JPG]

And here's more early stuff from People Magazine.