Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One More Dick on the Flick
For the very life of me, I just can't understand this love affair that the film industry has with Philip K. Dick. Of all the science fiction writers I ever opened up and read, he was without a doubt such a highly cynical individual that he makes Palladin look like a infant at the trade.

Early on, while at military school in South Carolina, in the late 50s, I happened to buy one of his collection books printed by Ace. It was a First Edition printing, and it was Entitled "The Variable Man and Other Stories".

[Image: Variable_man.jpg]

In fact, I still have this book upstairs, boxed up with my remaining collection. The Variable Man was a great read, and although it didn't have a happy ending, it did have great promise for the future due to the development of an FTL drive.

I wanted more, so I began the second story, "The Second Variety", and when I finished it I was so disenchanted with Dick that I never read anything else by him for several decades. "The Second Variety" haunted me for years.

Much later on, I picked up "The Man In The High Castle", but the tone of this work dragged me down to the point where I was unable to finish it. Dick was a master at the art of catastrophe and bad fortune. His attitude just tended to wear on one reading his work. So I gave him up.

Well, now there is another work being spun and about to come out. And its that "What if the US lost WWII to the Axis" books. That's right, "The Man In The High Castle" is about to make it to the screen as a series. And it is going to be made by Riddley Scott, of "Blade Runner" fame. The first installment will be on Amazon Prime, and if it garners enough good ratings, it will continue until...................who knows.

There have been so many movie adaptations of his works, and yet my favorite one, "The Variable Man" has never made it to the screen. That's too bad.

THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE FINALLY HAS A TRAILER, AND IT’S SUPER-CREEPY

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I watched the pilot back in January and it wasn't bad. It's not something I'm champing at the bit for but I certainly will watch it when/if the series is made.
Your headliner there had me worried!
No doubt, Philip K. Dick was one strange critter. Emotionally/psychologically he later became a basket cast. I've done some research on him since starting this thread, and he was a most interesting individual, especially later in his life. There is also a chance he may well have been Schizophrenic.

Also, Cracked, the parody site, did a pretty good job of highlighting him while using humor: 5 Ways Philip K Dick's Insanity Changed the World of Movies.

No wonder his stories tended to be outworldly. I need to go back and reread "The Variable Man" just to see if there is anything there that is mentally creepy. If not, its probably the only one that is truly straight forward.

Incidentally, "The Variable Man" can be found right here, in many different formats. I used to think it was very good when I was much younger. I wonder if my opinion will be the same now?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz