Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tattoos, Self-Mutilation & Its Aftermath
Does anyone here have one or more tattoos?  I'm just curious, because this is an ancient practice that goes back to Lord knows when.  

Anthropologically it has almost always been associated with a form of graduation, or rite-of-passage, in which males passed certain requirements to be admitted into adulthood, or warrior status.  In fact, in many instances, it went far beyond just markings, but also became that of advanced body mutilation.  And today, that is still being used by some people.  Here's what I mean:

People are now getting themselves branded because tattoos weren't permanent enough

I'm alway curious as to why people, especially women, feel the need to do this to themselves.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I find tattoos and other body modifications incredibly ugly. However for those inclined many of them just like the art and many of them are doing it because it's the current fashion trend. Which is really troubling because unlike Big Hair, Shoulder pads and Bell bottoms, you can't just take off a tattoo/brand/forked tongue when the fad is over.

For the people who are REALLY into it, it's a drug addiction, just like people who over exercise, enjoy S&M or love spicy foods. All of these activities produce the endorphins that feed/reward the addiction.
I may find less than 1% of tattoos attractive. Most are bad art and an embarrassment. Removable decals make sense. Bad tatts don't.
The original purpose of tattoos were to act as a rite of passage sort of thing. And there was no written language back then, so it all had to be done on the body. Even up until the last few decades, it was still a form of passage, especially for those in the navy. It must have been a historical thing, which I'm not aware. But I remember sailors, and former sailors, having almost all of the tattoos back then.

But today........... I'm just bemused as to how people are so adamant about defacing themselves, and having it done in such a way that they are easily noticed by the public. Shock

And did you notice the right ear of the girl having her arm being branded? All I can do is shake my head and wonder about todays young people. I wonder what the percentage of regretful tattoo recipients, who wish they had never done such a thing? I'll bet its a lot higher than advertised. Spiteful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

My fav is people who get tats in languages they don't speak. Nothing like having "Dumbass" in chinese on your chest forever.
Mad Magazine had a Chinese sign that started appearing as tattoos for awhile. It said "This way to the bathroom." It did look nice.
I had four navy type tattoos. I had one removed by four laser treatments and just had the second treatment on another a few weeks ago. Most of my tattoos are nearly 50 years old and relatively easy to remove thanks to fading. The doctor who did the treatment told me that many tattoo artists now use automobile paint because it looks better and resists fading. I doubt the total cost for all my tattoos was more then thirty-five dollars; however, the cost of my tattoo removal is three hundred fifty dollars per treatment. It isn't covered by Ontario Health Care or private insurance.
(07-10-2015, 02:39 PM)Pixiest Wrote: My fav is people who get tats in languages they don't speak. Nothing like having "Dumbass" in chinese on your chest forever.

There's really no need to resort to Chinese ...

[Image: tatoo+5.jpg]

Do a search on misspelled tattoos. There's a while lot of oops in this world.

[Image: tatoo+6.jpg]
[Image: tatoo+2.jpg]
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Ronald, do you know what it is with navy people as to why they have historically had such a large number of these tattoos added to their bodies? I've always wondered about the psychology behind it all.

(07-12-2015, 06:33 PM)mr_yak Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 02:39 PM)Pixiest Wrote: My fav is people who get tats in languages they don't speak. Nothing like having "Dumbass" in chinese on your chest forever.

And all out there for everyone to see as well. S13

Hey, it pays to advertise, right?

And speaking of misspelled tattoo images. S13

(07-12-2015, 09:32 PM)John L Wrote: Ronald, do you know what it is with navy people as to why they have historically had such a large number of these tattoos added to their bodies? I've always wondered about the psychology behind it all.

(07-12-2015, 06:33 PM)mr_yak Wrote:

And all out there for everyone to see as well. S13

Hey, it pays to advertise, right?

Nautical tattoos are cultural and have meaning, but I doubt many sailors today would be able to decipher the meanings of tattoos on a fellow sailor. E.g. Pig on the knee, safety at sea, a cock on the right, never lose a fight, king Neptune if you crossed the Equator, full rigged ship for sailing around Cape Horn, dragon tattoo for crossing the international date line or a tattoo of King Neptune if you crossed the Equator. At the height of the AIDS epidemic Canadian sailors were charge if they got a tattoo in a foreign port.
Interesting piece by Dr. Vijai Sharma: Is Piercing a Form of Self-Mutilation?.

The one advantage of this over tattooing, is that once the piercing object is removed, the body will automatically self-repair.

I have a running argument with my son in law on this. His niece has a fricking bullring in her nose and I am convinced she has psychological problems. He thinks it's just for attention.

What do you guys think?
(07-14-2015, 12:47 PM)Palladin Wrote: I have a running argument with my son in law on this. His niece has a fricking bullring in her nose and I am convinced she has psychological problems. He thinks it's just for attention.

What do you guys think?

Going to all that trouble to gain attention really IS a form of psychological problems,......unless Daddy is completely tone deaf to all the shouting. Shock

Thanks, John, for posting that link to a site that specializes in misspelled tattoos. A young lady who used to attend my church (a daughter of a friend of mine), and now has moved to Kentucky, but keeps in touch via Facebook, mentioned she was interested in getting some tattoos. So I copied five of the worst ones, and posted them for her, under the heading, "Don't let this happen to you!" She promised she would "be careful." * Sigh *
It gets sooo much worse that mere misspelling ...

[Image: th?id=JN.hUe1trg1aKKOnb6KQVp7YQ&pid=15.1&P=0]
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
No one can even remotely convince me that this is not a Deep Seated Psychological cry for attention, no matter how outrageous the cry. Can you just imagine your daughter bring this, this...................person home?

(07-14-2015, 10:42 PM)John L Wrote: No one can even remotely convince me that this is not a Deep Seated Psychological cry for attention, no matter how outrageous the cry. Can you just imagine your daughter bring this, this...................person home?

I don't have a daughter. But if I was anywhere near this guy I'd really be worried if he started sneezing.
-- Henry Mencken
This is an amazing story of one young lady, who became obsessed with using her body to seek self-fulfillment with those who became involved in her life.  And the pain and expense of removing all of these burdens is a major part of this BBC story.  

Undrawing My Tattoos

I've always wondered what led people to have their body turned into a moving billboard.  I can see why gangs use it for identification.  Or why peer pressure can cause a sailor to become one of the fellow deck apes.  Its been going on for untold thousands of years, and one of the subjects we anthropologists study about primitive societies.  But to have one's self inflicted this way reeks of masochism.  And especially when it comes time for them to be removed.  

I have several instances of my own body mutilation, but all in the line of duty.  I'm missing part of my second toe, right foot, as a result of Ranger School.  I got into a fight with a joiner-planer and came out second best with the third phalanx of my left hand's ring finger.  I also have shrapnel scars over my back side from indirect fire.  But none of them purposeful.   I wonder what causes people to do all this to themselves?

[Image: 500x700dsc01926-lr_yeqnqrm.jpg]

They served as two messages. One was 'look at me' and invited attention. Another was a protective measure of 'please don't get too close'. They provided a barrier between me and a world I was frightened of.”

[Image: 700-dsc_4458-lr_jozrile.jpg]
Feather tattoo on Tass's leg
[Image: 700dsc_4180-lr_peulwru.jpg]
It was 'I've got your name tattooed on my spine - we're together'.”
[Image: 700-img_1340-lr_lqbunp9.jpg]
Blisters on the lower arm after laser treatment
[Image: 700x500img_0869_dsabtvb-lr_c6cnapb.jpg]
Post-laser blisters on the upper arm
[Image: x500x700taz0615highres-lr_vhajnnr.jpg]
Spinal cord tattoo before laser treatment
[Image: 700-dsc_4295_3oll94h-lr_tjbnayt.jpg]
Post-laser blisters on the upper arm

I got four tattoos on my arms while in the navy. Fifty years of sun damage and aging has made a mess out of them. Four years ago I went to a dermatologist to have two removed by laser treatment. My upper arms were badly blistered after the laser treatment, but it heals quickly and, most important, does not leave a scar. Black is the easiest ink to remove, green is the most difficult. I've had four treatments on my left arm and three on my right. My final treatment is next December. At present. the tattoos on my upper arm are 98% removed. The dermatologist also removed early-stage basal cell carcinoma from my face, neck and ears. Each treatment cost me $350.00 dollars, my most expensive tattoo cost me $10.50 in 1965. The only safe way to have a tattoo removed is by using the services of a dermatologist. He also removed age spots from the top of my hands.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Benefits of Self-Mutilation John L 15 2,017 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Belle