Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Castle Itter: One of the Strangest battles of WWII
This is a very interesting battle, and would make the perfect movie, especially concerning the character of the defenders, who were both US and also German. In fact, its the only battle of WWII in which both sides fought together. The entire affair is found in the book entitled "The Last Battle: When U.S. and German Soldiers Joined Forces in the Waning Hours of World War II in Europe". I haven't read the book yet, but I have it and intend to start as soon as I finish the one I am now reading.

[Image: 41uIGC6RmIL.jpg]

This article, by the BBC, lays down the highlights of the events, and just why it was so out of the ordinary. And this is why I'm surprised that nobody has made this into a film before.

And what is tragic is that by the time historians are able to finally get around to researching this in depth, eyewitness accounts, and minute details of everyone involved, will have slipped into history without it all being recorded for posterity.

Naturally, I am intrigued by the German major, Josef (Sepp) Gangl, who was a promoted through the ranks, from NCO to commissioned officer. He must have been quite a person. And its unfortunate he was killed while trying to save a civilian from being shot by the SS attackers. A most fitting hero.

[Image: _82823686_ittergangl.jpg]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Awesome. I never heard about this before. Tremendous story. I agree, John, this would make a great movie. According to Wickipedia, "The battle was fought five days after Adolf Hitler had committed suicide and only two days before the signing of Germany's unconditional surrender." The date given is May 5, 1945.

A former French Tennis star was among the people who went out on bicycles to try to find help, and found a German major (Josef Gangl) who had turned against the Nazi SS, and was trying to protect locals from reprisals from the SS. He only had 20 men loyal to him--not enough to take out the SS troops in the woods around the castle. So he went to a U.S. military force under flag of truce, and proposed that they ally together to save the VIPs (including former prime ministers of France) who had been prisoners and potential hostages, but now were trying to defend themselves against the SS troops who surrounded the castle.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
Yeah, somebody should be latching on to this and getting it ready for the big screen. Its too good a story to let get away. And its also true! Isn't that amazing?

Its a great "Good vs Evil" thing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz