Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan condensed Hobbit Movie was Interesting, but Beware of Torrents website
I was enticed by the idea of downloading a movie made by a fan, tolkieneditor, that combines all three of the Hobbit movies into one, leaving out most of the add-ons that departed from Tolkien's original novel--hence no Taurial, no Taurial/Legolas/Fili love triagle, no visit to the place where Sauron is hiding out (Dol Guldur), no appearance by the Lady Galadriel, none of the silliness with Radagast and his hare-pulled sled, etc.

I happened to be steered to a website called Torrents to download the MP4 movie. But after I downloaded it, I turned off my computer. In the morning when I turned it on again and went off to tend to some chores, about a half hour later I got a call from Windows telling me that my computer was sending out lots of reports that it was being hacked. The technician took me through some steps so I could see some 8,748 improper "events," including lots of processes running that should not be, and many microsoft processes that should have been running that were stopped. My computer was super slow--slower than it's ever been. Any way, it took the technician three hours to fix my computer, for which I had to pay $199. I am allowed to make six monthly payments of $33 through PayPal.

The site from which I downloaded the movie was Torrents. Apparently it is heavily infected or infested with the kind of sabotaging trojans ready to jump onto your computer and wreck havoc and presumably try to steal private information.

After my computer was cleaned out, it ran a lot better and faster, and the technician said it was OK for me to watch the movie. Which I did.

Returning to the subject of the fan movie, it had value as a story. It was still well over 4 hours long, but it moved along much more quickly, and did stick much more faithfully to Tolkien's story. So I found the movie enjoyable (especially because the last portion contained most of the third Hobbit movie, which has not been released to DVD yet--I have no idea how he got it). The movie was also free (outside of what it cost me to get my computer cleaned out). But I have to state that I believe Peter Jackson and his writing companions are good story-tellers too, and their version of the story is worth watching as well. So basically we have two acceptable stories.
Isn't there already a Hobbit thread?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I thought the warning about a dangerous website was more important.
(01-22-2015, 12:31 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: I thought the warning about a dangerous website was more important.

Ron, first off, there are many, many dangerous websites out there. In fact that deserves a separate thread altogether. But secondly, that was not the main point of even your title. That was secondary, correct?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Well, if it is Microsoft that manufactures trojans to cash in on technical assistance then this is indeed interesting and thread-deserving..

Quote:about a half hour later I got a call from Windows

is rather unusual, I never heard about things like this! --- especially the speed of the "windows" team reaction.
Sodomia delenda est

Windows folks (Microsoft) will not call someone regarding a problem such as what was described. This is a well known scam. Once you allow an unknown person acting as a Microsoft representative into you system, you are subject to all sorts of problems, not the least of which is the attempt to gain your credit card information, which they apparently have done.

I would call Credit Card Company immediately and cancel/replace card before a serious bill is run up on it. Probably already has.

Watch Out for Microsoft Tech Support Scams
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Perhaps the way to tell real Microsoft from the fake one is by the language.... Microsofters speak Indian. S6

More interesting:

Ron Wrote:I happened to be steered to a website called Torrents to download the MP4 movie. But after I downloaded it, I turned off my computer. In the morning when I turned it on again and went off to tend to some chores, about a half hour later I got a call from Windows telling me that my computer was sending out lots of reports that it was being hacked.

Any reasons to think that the scammers may be monitoring torrents? (this is doable, but how to go from the IP to the telephone number?)
Sodomia delenda est

Did the computer technician have an East Indian accent? There's a scam being run out of India where people cold call North Americans advising them they have a virus on their computer. I've probably received such a call a half dozen times over the past few years. I've been downloading movies for more than ten years and not once have I received malware. However, I never download software because 95% of it is infected with malware. The safest way to download movies without worrying if the MPAA is going to come after you in court is with NZB's via Usenet. I can usually download a 1.5 gb file in five minutes.
Yes, the technician did have an accent that sounded sort of Indian. Also the person knew my ID number and password. I used to be a programmer before I retired. Even though not a Windows programmer, I did understand enough of what he was telling me (abd showing me) to realize it was for real. I watched on my monitor as he did his work. In fact he did warm me about some people making fake calls such as John Who described. And when I looked at my computer, it was running super slow--so there was a problem. He spent three hours fixing it. So far I have not encountered anything improper with my credit card accounts or my Credit Union account. The new Windows security programs have for some time now included regular messaging to the company of problems that may arise with my computer.

By the way, the name of the website where I seemed to encounter the lurking trojans was Torrent (no "s" on the end).
Ron -

Microsoft will not contact people in the manner you describe.

Sumptin' ain't right.
I agree, Sumptin' ain't Kosher here. Shock

+1 but I still have to commend Ron for his irrational inspiring belief in Humanity Micro$oft's goodness, however misplaced.
Sodomia delenda est

Ron -

Call your credit card company and find out exactly who charged that $199. I'm betting it is not Microsoft.
Oh crap, you spoiled my day -- why did not I think of this? S4
Sodomia delenda est

You may be right. I am getting all kinds of popups whenever I go online. They just started yesterday. When I went in from the Dos prompt, I found lots of Torrent files (like a directory named TornPlusTV_version1.11 with lots of subfiles with Tor in their names. I managed to remove most of them, but that did not fix the problem. Guess I'll have to get a good adware/spyware remover program.
(01-26-2015, 01:25 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: You may be right. I am getting all kinds of popups whenever I go online. They just started yesterday. When I went in from the Dos prompt, I found lots of Torrent files (like a directory named TornPlusTV_version1.11 with lots of subfiles with Tor in their names. I managed to remove most of them, but that did not fix the problem. Guess I'll have to get a good adware/spyware remover program.

Ron, there is only one thing you can do at this point. Save your important files. Take your time and go through it all, but be careful not to include anything you didn't want.* Then completely reformat your hard drive and reinstall your OS again. I'm in need of doing this myself, but I don't have the problem you now have.

*Note: Not only did someone take your money, but they have more than enough smarts to outsmart practically any adware/spyware program you can set up. They are always at least one step ahead of them. You are going to have to completely reformat and reinstall. I'm serious.

Also, from now on you should save anything you value on to a separate drive from your OS drive without fail, and this is important for several reasons. The first one is what you are going through right no. Another is that if your program crashes, you could lose everything on it, including all of your important files. That's why everything should be backed up on another drive, just in case.

You may be right, John. I do have my doc files saved onto a USB device. But it seems that the popup programs are designed to interact with Google, which is what I had been using. I have switched back to Internet Explorer, and at least for now I am not seeing any popups.
I'd be more worried about credit cards... and not just the one you used, if you have records saved on your computer they might have been copied.

As for popups: run a few virus checks... if popups remain, see exactly what they are and google for them (if popup wants to take you to a site, google for the name of this site), usually you can find removal instructions. Further, you may have other type of malware installed on the machine.
Sodomia delenda est

Ron - unfortunately, John L's "reformat and re-install" solution may be what needs to be done.

You might try downloading "MBAM" (Malware Bytes anti-malware) program. If possible, download and update it on a different PC and then copy it to yours.

I would first disconnect your PC from the Internet before installing/running MBAM, just to be sure nothing is happening in the background that could cause a problem. MBAM isn't the "be all end all" solution, but it may identify problems that you have, some of which may be serious enough to warrant John L's method.

There's a lot more that you could do, but this would be one of the steps I suggest.
So far, using Internet Explorer as my browser has ended all the popups. I also went to Best Buy and purchased Malwarebytes anti-malware (which is highly rated, and I have used it in past years). It cost about $25. It detected 98 malware objects, and they were all quarantined and deleted. Hopefully, that removed all the spyware. It did catch all the Tor* files I found when I went in from the DOS command prompt, but was not able to remove all of them with DOS commands (though I was able to remove some of them). But 98 more objects! Unfortunately, when I used Google Chrome for my browser, some of the popups still appeared. The Google Chrome program itself probably is corrupted. Once I get my favorites file all copied over to IE, I might try to reinstall Google Chrome.

I have been taking the precaution of disconnecting from the Internet when I am using my computer for something other than web browsing. And I always shut down my computer (not just put it to sleep) at night.

It does seem to be running a little faster, now. It will be galling to have to make those payments to PayPal for the next six months. But I figure I am paying for a lesson learned. So I won't let it bother me. I'll try to remain cheerful at heart. And I won't even try to start a campaign to make computer hacking punishable by death. S1

You know, the funny thing is I can still play the Tolkienedit movie.