Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Bought A New Lawnmower. It's.................
...........cordless. S6

Never thought I would be doing this, but my old Craftsman self-propelled mower is a basket case and not working far more than it does work. And I wind up having to borrow a neighbor's mower.

So, I began checking with Craigs List, and all of the cheap used ones were still over $100 for just the cheap old ones that seem to last far longer than the be-bop-delux models. Anyway, in the mix was an advertisement for a used Neuton battery powered mower, which was one of the very first cordless mowers to make it on the market.

I was definitely interested in the concept, so I began researching far and wide about batteries and how big the cordless market is currently. Believe me the market is HUGE! And its growing fast. I suspect the overwhelming majority of push mowers will be battery powered in five years. Riding mowers will probably remain mostly gas powered for a while, but even they will begin working into the battery field.

After I did some real research, I decided that I wanted to get something that looked good, and was able to do a good job cutting the grass without pooping out before the cutting is finished. Heres the first one I was going to order.

[Image: gwkn25272.jpg]

This is really a beautiful mower, and made by a top of the line company, GreenWorks. But alas, it is just recently discontinued, because it still uses the lead acid batter, rather than the lithium ion ones. In fact this one was the last lead acid Greenworks series mower to discontinued, because it is self-propelled. Lithium ion doesn't put out the amperage power that led acid batteries do, so switching to LiIon just can't cut the self-propelled thing at this time.

With heavy heart, I kept looking around. I noticed that the top of the line GreenWorks mower was on special incentive sale, and CPO Atlanta had a 15% 4th of July special on these puppies, which made the most expensive mower just about $40 more than the one above. And it comes with two 40v lithium ion batteries.

[Image: gwkn25302.jpg]

Its not as handsome, but the staggered dual blades and the pair of batteries guarantee an increase in mowing area. All of these lithium ion powered mowers tend to have lumps sticking up in the body, for inserting the battery, and they just don't look as classy. And they all seem to be getting that way. But the ugliest cordless mowers I have seen to date are the Black & Decker mowers. They are so butt ugly only a mother could love them. Ugh! I don't think I would want to be caught out in the front yard with one of them, they are that bad.

Here's a one year review from an owner.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Interesting. Are those cordless machines self-propelled, also - or is that asking too much?

None of the ads I brought up show the square footage per charge. Any guesstimates?
I don't understand why being self-propelled is important or even good.
The biggest advantage of an electric mower is that you can go back an forth without turning everytime you reach the end of the goarden. I often drive backward with my electric lawn mower. One way pushing it, the other way pulling it. I save a lot of time doing so.
That would be impossible with a self propelled.

I also leave the cut grass on the ground... until my whife asked me to gather it for compost. S24

I'm a big fan of electric mower. I would never want a motor one eventhought I have a big garden.
Blade size is very important for me.
Being self-propelled saves a lot of effort if you have a large lawn like I do. It does not pull you around; you still have to push it, but being self-propelled reduces the effort by three-fourths or more, especially welcome over uneven ground.

I imagine the new lithium-ion batteries have enough energy density to allow you to mow a good-sized lawn on one charge. The old nickel-cadmium rechargeable batteries had no where near the energy storage capacity. There would of course be plenty of time to recharge the battery between mowings. It sounds like the electric lawnmower should be simpler in basic construction, without the need for gas line, filter, carburetor, fireplug, starter, etc. And I have found that the simpler a mechanism is, the more reliable it will be, with less things to break down.
Using a self-propelled capability requires a battery that has pretty high amperage, which is sustainable. The sealed 12V lead acid battery is perhaps the best battery cost wise, at this time, for delivering that and allowing for a self-propelled capability. Usually the mower is a 36V system, which uses three of these batteries hooked in series. That's what the very handsome mower, at the top of my first post, uses, but it was officially discontinued last week. When I first checked it out at GreenWorks, it was in the inventory, but the next day it was taken down.

Black & Decker still uses the same system as the one above. I'll bet you GreenWorks had B&D make their mower, or perhaps supply the frame, motor, and drive train to them, because the stats are basically identical. However, in the looks department........., well, B&D has taken Ugly to a new level. Here's the two next to each other.

[Image: SPCM1936_1_330X330.jpg][Image: gwkn25272.jpg]

Anyway, the lead acid batteries are almost completely retired from the cordless mower field. And the lithium ion batteries are now the gold standard, but they are just so expensive, and not as flexible as the lead acid battery. For example, it is very easy to renew a lead acid batter by using epson salt and plain water. Usually the cells are dried out, or almost bare.

Here are a good many Youtube videos on how to do this.

With the Lithium ion battery, things are a bit different. Most lithium ion batteries, whether or not they are 12V, 18V, 24V, or 40V(actually 36V), they all use a specific cell, called an 18650 Lithium 3.7V battery.

[Image: 21Yjjf7uEtL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg]

Note that they all have the "18650" stamped on them, and they are found almost everywhere today. Laptop computer batteries contain them, cordless tool batteries use them, and they are the preferred unit of choice almost all over. I have two types of Ryobi lithium ion battery packs. One is the large 3Amp, and the other two are the 1.5Amp, battery. Last week, I took one of the 1.5Amp batteries apart and looked under the hood. There were five of these little guys lying next to each other, and hooked up in series. The five 3.7volt batteries equal a hair over 18 volts. I haven't taken the large pack apart, but I feel certain that there are two groups of five cells hooked up in series, with each group of five then wired up in parallel, so as to double the amperage output from 1.5amp to 3amp.

My mower came in this evening, but I haven't had the chance to unpack it yet. When I do, I may take one of the two 40V batteries apart just to see what is inside the casing. My best guess is that the batteries are made up of a bunch of 18650s. Here's what my two batteries are supposed to look like.

[Image: 32911_200x200.jpg]

I'm curious to see just how they manage to take a bunch of cells, hook them up together, and manage to come up with 40 volts, and for it to have a 4ah load.

Fred, you keep saying "electric lawnmower", so I presume you mean a mower that uses an electrical cord, and not batteries. Is that correct? Also, I didn't know that electric mowers could be put into reverse, unless they were riding mowers.

Ron, using the cordless mower and getting a large lawn mowed will depend on whether or not you have one or more batteries. And then it will depend on the amp hour rating of the battery. The 4ah battery should be able to mow 1/3 of an acre easily. The really nice thing about these mowers is that they are so light weight. Without the batteries, they can be folded up and then picked up and carted around. That is another big advantage. They can fold up and set into a corner, or cubbyhole. If someone is using their basement for their shop, as I do, a regular lawn mower would just take up too much space. And the gasoline would just stink up the shop.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Yes, my mower has a cord. It doesn't need to put into reverse since it's not self-propelled (I don;t know what you mean by "riding mower") and the blade cut as well when I pull as when I push it.
I use it like a vacuum cleaner, if you want.
And sometimes like a trimmer, when the grass is very high, I raise the forewheels and move foreward agressively, the blades at an angle of 30~40 degrees and the high grass get trimmed. Otherwise they bend and are not cut properly. Terrific stuff.

It's very easy to mow between trees, bushes and flowers that way.

Mine is 10 years old:
repairs done:
changed:
- one wheel
- the hood (plastic cover)
- the switch (to a non safety-standard one -LOL-)
- the blade
rewelded:
- The height regulation mecanism
- The handle bar

No motor repair so far... S2
(07-12-2014, 03:51 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Yes, my mower has a cord. It doesn't need to put into reverse since it's not self-propelled (I don;t know what you mean by "riding mower") and the blade cut as well when I pull as when I push it.
I use it like a vacuum cleaner, if you want.
And sometimes like a trimmer, when the grass is very high, I raise the forewheels and move foreward agressively, the blades at an angle of 30~40 degrees and the high grass get trimmed. Otherwise they bend and are not cut properly. Terrific stuff.

It's very easy to mow between trees, bushes and flowers that way.

Here is what you stated on the last post.

Quote:I often drive backward with my electric lawn mower.

That means you are able to put it in reverse and back it up. However, I believe you were really saying that you often pull it backwards. To 'drive' a mower means you are sitting on a seat and driving it, as one would do with a riding mower.

Fred, this is a riding mower, which is quite common in the US.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7-iWrPret5Mp6AQ0Ife3...8pFu04i-HQ]

Ok; unfortunately I can't afford one and even if I could I'm not sure I want to take care of one more vehicle...
They only work well in a big yard needing mowing. Americans tend to have bigger yards than Europeans. That's why they are so popular.

Here's a page from just Home Depot.

In the movie Waterboy that is the vehicle of choice for Adam Sandler.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS1TzczOAS8O1OjDo_1IG...Z85riF7fUg]

Actually, self-propelled is not too detrimental. There is just a geared-down belt on the cutting blade axle. The increased load is not all that big a deal. It also is not always on. to pull it backwards, you just ease off the control for a moment. Cutting up or down hills is difficult without it. Cutting high or wet grass is far more energy hoggish.
I'm kinda partial to the "zero turn radius" mowers.

Of course, it must have a cup holder.

S1
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Here's an update on my purchase.

While I was waiting on my order to arrive, I began looking around the internet, and eventually wound up on Ebay. There some sellers were auctioning off GreenWorks mowers. Many of them were new and expensive, but there were a bunch of 'returns' and 'open box' items. The going prices were outstanding, and what I had paid for $312 was selling for right around $200 or less. Amazing.

Last thursday, my mower arrived, but I was so busy trying to finish a job for one of my clients, that I did not get around to opening the box until Friday evening. And to my disappointment, it did not come with the two(2) 4Ah batteries. Rather, it came with last season's package containing one(1) 4Ah, and one(1) 2Ah batteries. This was not what I bargained for.

So Saturday I attempted to contact CPO, but they were closed until today. I then went back to the GreenWorks site and rechecked the web page for my product, just to make certain about the two(2) 4Ah batteries. And to my amazement, it has been changed back to the older, last season arrangement. I was simply dumbfounded, and even began to question my own mental ability.

Having returned to Ebay, I rechecked some of the finished auctions, and yes, some of the orders included the two(2) 4Ah batteries, so I was able to quickly understand what had happened. GreenWorks had simply started advertising the new season's products, but had not ensured that the previous season mowers had worked their way out of the system. Then when disgruntled customers called in to complain, they had gone back and tried to undo their mistake. In the meantime, I was caught in the changeover.

After getting nowhere with GreenWorks' customer service, and having my intelligence insulted, I wrote them a lengthy letter, complaining about the way I was treated, and also showing them pictures from Ebay, clearly showing some of their auctions containing the two(2) 4Ah batteries, I did the same thing with my CPO salesman, who wouldn't be in until today. I was nice, but clearly laid out my problem, and sent the photos with it.

He wrote me early this afternoon, and acknowledged that we had indeed discussed the order and yes, the order was supposed to include two(2) 4Ah batteries. So my brain really wasn't playing tricks on me.

Now, I am awaiting their reply as to what is going to happen. I really do want to begin mowing with the battery powered mower, and see whether or not I made the right decision. But have to keep my pants on, and practice a bit of patience first.

Life is never easy. S4

Well, I just received an email from my sales person, Sunny(Sanjin Delija), and he has taken care of the problem. I now have a second 4Ah battery on its way to me. I'll be sending back the 2Ah batter, which I really have no use for. Sunny did an excellent job, being honest and looking out for the interest of his customers. I called him back and thanked him for his great work, and even left a message on his manager's phone recorder, complimenting him for his wonderful follow through.

In fact, I now have my good 4Ah charging this very minute. The mower is put together and when it charges up, I will give it a test drive around the yard. S22

It's quite light weight, less than half that of a regular mower. But it is made almost exclusively hard plastic. Under normal circumstances, that may send up some red flags, but if it can take the punishment, I will not let it bother me. However, in truth, I wish I had gone with my original first choice. Its just such a beautiful mower, and it uses the lead acid batteries, which I can get locally and they are quite inexpensive.

But one thing is for certain. For something being so big, this mower is so lightweight. Wow.

[Image: 11402659_756939227758540_502523936800974...JpIjoiYiJ9]:D
Some people come up with the weirdest things, don't they. S5

(06-03-2015, 05:03 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: [Image: 11402659_756939227758540_502523936800974...JpIjoiYiJ9]:D

Gonna show that to a friend. He turned his back yard into a 2 hole golf course. A dry day and a wider tire might work on the Bermuda grass...
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
If that lawn is the by-product of the bike-mower, if sold commercially, a goat ought to come with them.
Regardless, it is impossible to fold them up and stand them up in the corner. Mine was not specifically made with that in mind, but I made a jig for making it do just that. Now it only takes up a little less than two square feet of floor space.

Incidentally, it is very light weight, and a breeze to pick up and bring into the basement already folded. Cleanup is very simple. I use my air compressor sprayer attachment, and voila, all the grass cuttings are gone.

Unless you have more than 1/3 - 1/2 acre to cut, this is the way to go. No winterizing, checking the oil, getting and using gasoline, or having to have someone repair the bugger when it won't crank start. Just plug the 40 watt batteries into the charger and you're ready to go. I can usually get five to six mowings to just one battery alone.

And I can mow the lawn as early or as late as I wish. Nobody can hear the thing when they are inside, and just barely with they are outside.

I love my electric mower.

It sounds sweet John, but pricey. I've never bought a new mower in my life. I think I'm on my fourth or fifth used one ... but the last one has lasted for quite a while. It's a John Deere JS-60. It also doubles as a portable gym ... as it weighs about as much as a tractor and is NOT self-propelled. Much calorie loss going up hill ... sometimes both ways ... S5
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(06-05-2015, 08:01 PM)mr_yak Wrote: It sounds sweet John, but pricey. I've never bought a new mower in my life. I think I'm on my fourth or fifth used one ... but the last one has lasted for quite a while. It's a John Deere JS-60. It also doubles as a portable gym ... as it weighs about as much as a tractor and is NOT self-propelled. Much calorie loss going up hill ... sometimes both ways ... S5

Sorry to hear that you have fallen on hard times Jack. You're an engineer, correct?

By the way, remember this one?