Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Words Have Different Meaning
I came across this little tidbit a short while ago, while going over the phrase "Monkey with a hand grenade". It intrigued me, so I thought I would post it here. Obviously words can mean different things in different languages, and at the same time be oh so appropriate with double meaning. Here's what I'm referring to: Selfie in Russian.

I managed to get a good laugh at the meaning here, using the word 'Selfie', and how many are so quick to perform this while at the same time managing to perform a 'Samostrél'(self-shot) in the process. Garaldo Riviera, Anthony Weiner, and yes even MacDaddy managed to shoot themselves in the foot by taking selfies of themselves.

[Image: obama-selfie.jpg]

I also did a search and came up with 'crossbow' as well. Perhaps someone can clarify if needed. But clearly a 'play on words' is found almost everywhere, including Russian.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Samostrel=Selfie is not listed in the online dictionaries that are usually up to date, for instance http://ru.wiktionary.org. Either very specific slang or most likely a total invention by the article's author. The thing that makes me suspicious is that "to shoot" in Russian means "to shoot a weapon" but never "take a photo".

On the other hand, crossbow is accurate and there is a meaning divergence here all right. Self- may mean a self-made weapon or a self-shooting weapon (a crossbow trap).
Sodomia delenda est

In other words he is shooting himself, just as the article stated. But the point is that he is doing both here: shooting himself figuratively as well as in fact. Great play on words.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

... which does not work at all if "shoot" is unrelated to "photo" ... and only marginally related to self-shooting ("samostrel" meaning is *deliberately* shooting yourself, not accidentally!)
Sodomia delenda est

Ok, so you are saying that this Tetradki fellow(Alexander Anichkin) is wrong?