Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another Mideast War
will America once again be forced to intervene in the Mideast, to fight either ISIS or Iran?
(06-13-2014, 12:04 PM)Anonymous24 Wrote: will America once again be forced to intervene in the Mideast, to fight either ISIS or Iran?

Nothing surprises me any more. Take a large room, any large room, and place a pile of manure in the furtherest corner, and we will always find some way to wind up stepping in it.

We started all this right after 9/11, and there is little expectation of a sudden shift in enlightenment. Most of us, including myself, had our heads where the sun refuses to shine, and politicians,.....well with them there really is no hope. George Santayana is laughing his buns off, from somewhere, over all this.

Going into Afghanistan initially was the right thing to do IMO. But once we did what we did there, we should have asked the elephant if it hurt and if it wanted any more of the same. Then we should have left. We would be respected, and feared, around the world by the kooks, because they wouldn't want more of the same. Instead we decided to make the world safe for the impossible dream of Democracy. And just look what it has cost us, and will continue costing us.

The one thing this entire exercise should show everyone is that the Founding Fathers were the wisest bunch of people the world has ever witnessed in one place.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Iran is acting as a force for stability more than the USA is, why would any human on earth want the US to war on Iran right now??? Unless you people really do see Arabs as cockroaches like I used to, why would you want the US to war on their only help right now?

The region would be better to live in if Iran became a modern Ottoman empire over there. Tough beans about "US interests", you guys can be for that, I find US interests unworthy of support when the result is chaos from hell for others. I couldn't sleep if I supported what the US is about anymore.

http://www.ibtimes.com/iran-deploys-quds...it-1599766
(06-13-2014, 01:37 PM)John L Wrote: ...But once we did what we did there, we should have asked the elephant if it hurt and if it wanted any more of the same. Then we should have left. We would be respected, and feared, around the world by the kooks, because they wouldn't want more of the same. Instead we decided to make the world safe for the impossible dream of Democracy. And just look what it has cost us, and will continue costing us.

Take it a step further. Not just locate and clean the clock from the bad guys - but make them sue for peace and take possession of their oil and anything else that would allow them to start up again. We still have forces in Japan and Germany after WWII - but it's not honorable to keep a presence where it might do some good any more.
(06-17-2014, 10:12 PM)WmLambert Wrote:
(06-13-2014, 01:37 PM)John L Wrote: ...But once we did what we did there, we should have asked the elephant if it hurt and if it wanted any more of the same. Then we should have left. We would be respected, and feared, around the world by the kooks, because they wouldn't want more of the same. Instead we decided to make the world safe for the impossible dream of Democracy. And just look what it has cost us, and will continue costing us.

Take it a step further. Not just locate and clean the clock from the bad guys - but make them sue for peace and take possession of their oil and anything else that would allow them to start up again. We still have forces in Japan and Germany after WWII - but it's not honorable to keep a presence where it might do some good any more.

Sigh, if we do all that, that means we will be sticking around, as we pilfer their goods. Didn't you read about what happened to the defeated Germans at the end of WWI, and what those reparations caused just twenty years later? What did all that ill will lead to? Let me know when you finally get it, because you can count on just that occurring again if we did what you suggest. Also, that would make us no better than the very ones from history who made that same mistake, over, and over, and over, and................

And we still have forces in Japan and Germany because they WANT us there. And on top of that we actually pay them rent for the privilege of protecting them. I believe that qualifies as a very good deal for them, so we are not making them pay for our protection.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

(06-17-2014, 10:27 PM)John L Wrote: ...what happened to the defeated Germans at the end of WWI, and what those reparations caused just twenty years later? What did all that ill will lead to?

Possibly so with WWI, but what happened in Germany after WWII, was that the U.S. presence in Germany helped the nation's populace survive, while all their able workers were impressed into work gangs all over Europe.

The revenge of France and other countries were sadistic. They required these impressed workers to do heavy labor with not even enough calories for survival. Meanwhile, back home, their women and children suffered their existence without being included in the Marshall plan. That they survived at all was largely due to the unofficial actions and benevolence of American soldiers. The people hated the French and Europeans who enslaved them after the war, but loved the U.S. for decent governance while they survived as best they could.
That's sort of your roundabout way of admitting you were not quite correct, but thanks anyway. S13

Actually, I was ignoring your snide comments, trying to get under my skin needlessly.

We have a difference of agreement that you cannot accept. You must be right or nothing. History does not show the U.S. going everywhere on Earth to rape and pillage and making enemies. Usually we have been greeted with open arms. It is only since the new media's attempt to denigrate our country internationally that countries like Lebanon, Egypt, and other places who used to love our tourist trade started hating us.

But then - you don't want me to even suggest that that attitude might be even partially part of a strategy.

Yes, we can't afford a lot of current spending. That's why the idea of taking oil as payment for helping Iraq was offered. Free enterprise. Get paid for helping. We don't always need all charity. Sometimes objectives can coincide.
S13

I don't think we will get involved. I think we may use drones and help Iran, but no troops beyond those there to help the embassy and American corporations. That is, if the President and the democrats have any say so in it. If the republicans have their way, they will push to invade Iraq to save their investment deals they made with the contractors that get billions from the US.

But like John L said, who knows, really? I hope not.
"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people." —Dan Quayle
I agree LL. We will limit anything to remote type ops.

FYI, democrats and GOP operatives are crooks, not just the GOP.
Yes, more Democrats than GOP have their hands in the trough. ...And then there are those like George Soros, who siphons off both sides of things.

It IS rare for LOGCAP providers to toe the Democrat line, being as close to the pointy-end as they often are.
Anymore, I doubt 5% of any of the DC pols are not bought off. It's probably the main motivator to become an official, how to get rich quick and influence people.