Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under The Dome on CBS
Has anybody else watched the first season of this series?

I have gotten up to episode 8, and I am HOOKED! I haven't read Stephen King's NOVEL "Under The Dome", so I don't know how accurately the series FOLLOWS the novel or whatever else, but since Stephen himself is an executive producer of the TV series, I figure it's GOT to be "good enough" (I'm a bit of a fan)... S13

I guess at the speed that I'm going (I've got the whole season set up on my VLC playlist, and I manage to watch one episode here and there before I doze off as I usually turn the thing on very late at night), I'll be done with season 1 by the time season 2 starts on June 30th..., and then we'll FINALLY get to see the now traditional Stephen King cameo appearance! S22
The TV version has already departed wildly from the book, making up entirely new things, going far beyond the book. Its like Stephen King is re-imagining the whole story.
(04-22-2014, 11:00 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: The TV version has already departed wildly from the book, making up entirely new things, going far beyond the book. Its like Stephen King is re-imagining the whole story.
Well, the series IS just "based on" the novel (which in itself is a partial rewrite of not just an original story by the same name, but also The Cannibals, so TWO "unfinished works" in Stephen's own words turned into the novel that now is being turned into a slightly different version on the TV screen). I don't really see a problem with it, it's quite common among authors to write and re-write stories..., as long as he himself is involved in the MAKING of the series, it's "all good" to me. Another TV series based on one of his works that I like at the moment is Haven on SyFy.
It reminds me of a comment that Joanna Rowling made one time about some new wrinkles added to the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban--specifically the talking shrunken heads. In an interview where she was asked about that, she smiled and said she wished she had thought of it. She thought the addition was great. There have been some other changes in the movie versions of her novels, which actually improved the story. Like in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, where the faux Mad-Eye Moody got Neville Longbottom to give Harry the Gilliweed that enabled him to breathe under water for an hour, while in the novel it was the house elf, Dobby, who gave Harry the Gilliweed. The movie version made more sense, and emphasized the way the faux Moody was orchestrating events to get Harry where he wanted him.