Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcontinental Air Mail Route
This intriguing article on The Blaze has me infatuated with the history of early mail air carriers in the US. It brings back my memories of the 1957 James Stewart movie about Lindberg, "The Spirit of St. Lewis".

And believe it or not, there is a good bit about it out there on the web. I did a google search, and came up with this page. And in the Images page, there is a mother load of articles, other than just images. In fact, I am going to have to find a copy of the "Spirit of St. Lewis" movie" so I can watch it again. Because that is what Charles Lindberg did after WWI, besides barn storming around the countryside.

And all of those arrows,.....wow, they are still lying around all over the place.

[Image: 1234131.jpg]

Oh, and I have never seen this a picture, or information, about this aircraft. Has anyone else seen one? I'd love to know if it is the predecessor to the Douglas DC3, or perhaps something else.

[Image: 6129815_orig.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I found the answer to the aircraft above. It was the Curtis Condor. I just love all these old aircraft.

[Image: r4c1_curtiss_condor.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

As an aside, going back to the traditions of the Pony Express, early aviation era pilots carrying U.S. mail were required to be armed. It was a common practice up to the 1970s for airline pilots to carry. In one case it thwarted an early hijacking.

In 2002, a program to train armed pilots was implemented. But unfortunately, it's been quietly axed by our President.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
By all means Jack, they are just not mature enough to be able to use proper judgement. Can't have them accidentally shooting innocent passengers, regardless their intent. S5

Besides, almost every airline pilot has this terrible habit of being members of that other wing of the Big Government Party. They have to be punished, naturally.

US Airmail had some contributions to early plane development. One of my favorite aspects of early airmail was the use of the tail hook. Dropping off mail and picking up mail from a remote location without stopping. Illustrated in the fist 20sec of this clip:

I'm going to get hold of "The Spirit if St. Lewis" movie, just so I can see how accurate Bill Wilder(director, producer) was, and how he had Steward represent his air mail delivery days prior to this transatlantic flight. Its been decades since I originally watched it.

Here's the NatGeo special about Lindbergh. It will be interesting to see just how much they show of the Trancontinental Air Mail system.