Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History News
Very good video on the Middle Ages.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Brilliant video... The Praeger University video is very positive, in the Praeger tradition. I also appreciate the other side of the coin, with a more negative message, in which the anti-church Leftists are seen for what they are, pushing an anti-church message disguised as "Science."

The fiction of Columbus battling religious extremists who thought the Earth was flat was debunked in the video, but the factual spotlight on Andrew Dickson White inventing the notion that the Church tried to stop Columbus is equally important. The facts were always there to show the Church was not what White described them to be, yet that is what every history book since John Dewey (a fellow progressive) taught students to believe.
Speaking of ancient history, here are the oldest known set of petroglyphs ever found in North America.

[Image: oldest-petroglyphs.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Thus proving that folks were bored out of their minds at the end of the last ice age.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Perhaps juvenile delinquency was also rampart? S5

Here's something I was not aware of happening, regarding the Italian campaign. I know that later they did the same thing for the Normandy invasion, by taking another corpse and making it wash ashore in Europe. But this one was new to me.

John,

That video won't let me watch it, says it's "private".

Anyway, when I was a kid we had a book titled, "The Man who Never Was" about the cadaver the Brits used to fake off Hitler. This is the story on this video, but, I thought it was to fool the Germans on Normandy, not Italy.
(06-28-2014, 04:19 PM)Palladin Wrote: John,

That video won't let me watch it, says it's "private".

Anyway, when I was a kid we had a book titled, "The Man who Never Was" about the cadaver the Brits used to fake off Hitler. This is the story on this video, but, I thought it was to fool the Germans on Normandy, not Italy.

Yeah... I did not comment because I cannot remember the allied WWII actual operation name which was spearheaded by the Brits 'cause I thought my memory would be obscured by the old '40s war movie. You are right on target Palladin!

The teachers & scholars in the peanut gallery here at AI-Jane can probably dredge up references of dead bodies going back several millennium with phony papers or runes...used tactically by various military forces.
Damn, it works for me. I'll see what I can do.

Try this one at BuzzFeed.

The Internet Movie Data Base says The Man Who Never Was, released in 1956, was the "True story of a British attempt to trick the enemy into weakening Sicily's defenses before the 1943 attack, using a dead man with faked papers.
[Image: the%20man%20who%20never%20was%20320x240.jpg]
That soldier w/o a head is what was on the cover of the book I had as a kid. I guess I just forgot what operation that was for since then.
Quote:500 year-old shipwreck loaded with gold found in Namibian desert

Diamond miners recently discovered a ship that went down 500 years ago after draining a man-made lagoon on Namibia’s coast. While shipwrecks are often found along Africa’s Skeleton Coast, this one just so happened to be loaded with $13,000,000 worth of gold coins.
It also answers a centuries–old mystery and is what some archaeologists are calling one of the most significant shipwrecks ever found.
The wreck was first discovered along the coast near Oranjemund by geologists from the mining company De Beers in April 2008. One reason it took centuries to find is because it was underneath the ocean floor.

“The mining site concerned was actually located in the surf zone, where the violent action of the waves theoretically made mining impossible,” archaeologist Dr. Dieter Noli told FoxNews.com. “So what the chaps do is push up a huge sea-wall with bulldozers parallel to the beach, with the ends running back to the beach.  The result is a large man-made lagoon, with the surf pounding on the outside.  Then they pump the sea-water out of the lagoon.”

It was in this drained lagoon that the wreck was discovered. Noli, who is chief archaeologist of the Southern Africa Institute of Maritime Archaeological Research, wasn’t too surprised– with the abundance of shipwrecks on the coast (Portuguese sailors once called it “The Gates of Hell”), he knew the geologists would turn up something sooner or later.
“Having first started doing archaeological work…for the mine in 1996, I had at that point been preaching to them for a dozen years that ‘one day’ they would find a shipwreck, and to let me know when they do,” he told Foxnews.com. “When asked what exactly I was really expecting to find, I said ‘a Spanish sword and a bag of gold.’”
Wait! Are you certain you are not reading a Clive Cussler tale here? Shock