Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quote
I'm deeply ashamed of myself .. for not knowing just where this quote

someone Wrote:Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society.

comes from.

out of curiosity: did anyone here know?
Sodomia delenda est

Try this link for a possible answer to your question.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Whew... i feel better now. S2
Sodomia delenda est

But what is your opinion of the quote?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I thought it was genuine Aristotle S10 I saw it, googled a bit, but not carefully enough. This naturally bothered me, it should have been more known if it were real.

(If the quote is a modern fake, I don't particularly care who invented it....If it were real -- which it is not -- this would have been magnificent)

The quote incidentally came in from this web page, which is kind of amusing....I'm too lazy to verify all of it.
Sodomia delenda est

actually, it may be coming from William Pierce:

Again, as long as this is not genuine, I don't care.
Sodomia delenda est

I watched the video, and it appears that Mr. Pierce may well be one. And he does use the word 'tolerate' quite often doesn't he.

What is interesting about all such groups is how they have an element of truth to their presentation/argument, which gives the ignorant, and uneducated, a reason to 'tolerate'( S13 ) the message, if not wholeheartedly embrace it.

Naturally, I have a different take here. 'Apathy' may well be the last virtue, but not tolerance. Because there are varying degrees of tolerance, which are not detailed for some reason.

Quote:'Apathy' may well be the last virtue, but not tolerance.

'Apathy' was not in the quote I saw originally... 'tolerance' is what got me interested, besides I was curious just what kind of tolerance Aristotle might have been talking about? Surely not to disturbing habits of his student...

Modern motivational talkers, all these Dr. Pierce's and Dr. King's, produce way too many quotes for any to be of value.
Sodomia delenda est

It is attributed to the Greek philosopher, Aristotle.
See John's link above.
Sodomia delenda est

Aristotle may not have made the original quote - but there are so many parallel aphorisms that mean the same thing, that it certainly has a great deal of credibility. The Bork book Slouching Towards Gomorrah gets into more history and common sense.
If you can indeed find related ancient aphorisms I'd love to see them.

Specifically, I am curious about the meaning of the word 'tolerance' in good old days. Does not need to be Ancient world, anything prior to 1960s already would be informative.
Sodomia delenda est