Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watermelons: Seedless, or Seeded?
As a Southerner, I have always been a watermelon lover. When my family was stationed in Alaska and overseas, we couldn't get them, but at home in South Carolina, we always had them when in season.

I've tried all types, and the best ones are the old fashioned, traditional one, that is green striped on the outside, deep red inside, and filled with adult black seeds.

But these wonderful melons are being replaced by convenience, in the form of the 'so called' seedless variety. The truth is that they are not seedless. Rather they are sterile mules that have stunted growth, producing only adolescent seeds that never mature. And in truth the meat of the melon has trouble maturing as well.

But they are popular with consumers, which means they are replacing the traditional watermelon. One can still find the seeded variety at Aldi, and the farmers market, when the season brings them out.

I have not had good experience with the seedless kind. I've had four or five over the years, but they never approach the taste of the seeded ones.

Last week I made a mistake and picked up a seedless melon, which had been placed in the seeded melon bin at my local Aldi store. When I opened it up, it was underdeveloped and one spoon scoop confirmed that it was never going to ripen. I returned it and replaced it with one of the sweetest watermelons I have had in the last couple of years.

Well, today, I went back to purchase a couple more, and they were sold out. So I went to the local Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kroger, and even drove to the farmers market. And there were none. So I held my nose and bought another seedless melon.

After I got it home, I opened it up with my old Ginzu knife, and it looked like an average watermelon, nothing special. So I placed the two halves in the fridge and waited for them to cool down.

After a three hour wait, I brought out a half, split it into quarters, and gave it a try. And like before, it was indeed sub-par. It had considerably less sweetness, and was a total disappointment. I will never buy a seedless watermelon again. Heaven forbid, I will go without before I ever waste my time and money on what is being touted as an improvement on the old traditional watermelon. Ugh!

Does anyone have any experiences with the two different types? And are there any who have had seedless melons that equaled, or surpassed, the original seed ones? Or is it just convenience that is causing the success of the seedless kind? Somehow I suspect the later.

Here is a site attempting to push the seedless melons: THE TRUTH ABOUT SEEDLESS WATERMELON. I recommend you take the time and read the overwhelming opinion of the commentators following the article.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz