By
Hugh Avi Gordon
B.A., Queen’s University at Kingston, 2001
M.A., University of Victoria, 2003
A Dissertation Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the
Degree of
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
in the Department of Hist

I spend a good part of yesterday reading this dissertation, it was really interesting, and provides answers to a few things that puzzled me for many years. For example, my father served in the Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders during the war. When I a kid in the 1950's he had no use for DP's and was quite vocal about it, I now know why. The area where I live has a large Dutch population, they're very clannish, outspoken and followers of the Dutch Reform Church. It other words many of them are jerks. Each year we see news reports on the anniversary of their liberation on how the Dutch look up to and love Canadians. I often wondered what made them change. Looks like my father's generation also thought they were a bunch jerks within week of the country being liberated.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
The Dutch had something like 70K volunteers for the German SS. Truthfully, Nazi think was big here in the USA in 1941, but, that number of volunteers for the SS from a little state like Holland surprised me.

Not for the Wermacht, the SS.
What are 'dp's? I always thought it meant 'Displaced Persons'.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

It does, I was surprised to read about all the trouble they caused.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary