Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pure Green Coffee Bean Extract
According to Dr. Oz, this is the real deal for weight loss - with zero side effects. here.
How do you know its the 'real deal'?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Dr. Oz has a pretty good reputation, and the video notes the research doctor exlaining the test cases and lack of side effects.

A weight-reducer that actually works with no side-effects is a pretty real deal to most people.
Of course you could just go out and purchase a pound of raw coffee beans, and grind them up. Then take the grindings and fill up gel caps, and use your own beans, right?

I wonder if it would make any difference whether one was using arabica or robustua beans?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Naturally this 'green coffee' thing had me intrested, but in a skeptical sort of way. So I have been doing some research in a lot of places. Now, I assume this guy is Dr. Oz, right?

And this is a nice, informative little video.

And here is Doctor Lindsay Somebody, discussing the product.

Now, I believe there are one or two points that the makers of these products don't want others to know. One, which the experts discuss, is that some of them use additives/fillers, which are less costly, and stretch out the ingredients. The best capsules have no additives. But secondly, this product is made to look like it goes through some special process, other than grinding. Note the use of "extract" in everything. Technically a ground up green coffee bean is extracted, but the word also conjures up 'special process' in the brain.

My guess is that the green coffee beans are just ground up in an 'espresso' type grind, that is very fine, and then just loaded into empty capsules. If you have green coffee beens, a good coffee blender, and a bunch of capsules, you can do all this by yourself. And I have a great grinder and capsule filling device which makes filling capsules quite easy. And my guess is that a pound of green coffee, the cheapest beans available, will yield a huge amount of this product, which is certainly fresher than what is being sold.

Also, the chemical which is causing all this is Chlorogenic Acid. At first I thought that the name implied that there is a chlorine ingredient, which is removed under heat. But there is no chlorine(Cl) in it. The name is simply pulled out of thin air, from what I can see. But like chlorine, when heat is applied, the ingredient chemical is removed. So naturally green, unroasted, beans are necessary.

And the cheaper the bean, as in the Robustus bean, the higher the Chlorogenic Acid content. In other words its more bitter. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any robustus beans selling on the market. So far only Arabica beans, but they still have a lot of this chlorogenic acid present.

I'm thinking that I will buy some ready made capsules and then pick up a pound of green beans, and make up a bunch of capsules. I already have two unopened packs of empty capsules sitting around. That's four hundred capsules complete. And a pound of coffee, finely ground should do a good job of making several hundred capsules.

Interesting idea.

I wonder if 400 mg of ground green coffee beans is what fits in a capsule - or whether it is compressed somehow. The bottle says there is no filler - just the vegetable based capsule which is plant-derived cellulose.
My guess is that what one has there is just 100% green coffee beans, ground up and used to fill each capsule. Why would they have to go through some fancy extraction process, when they can render it easy for the body to process once the capsules dissolve?

If you look closely at the wording, and I just looked at two brands today, they vaguely talk about the material being extracted, but don't get specific about just what the extract is. I suspect the material is nothing but powdered raw coffee.

Now, I can order green arabica beans for less than $7.00/lb. plus S/H, and make several hundred capsules. Sams is selling the brand Dr. Oz is pushing. For 90 capsules, it goes for $19.95. That's a lot considering one is expected to take no less than four capsules daily.

Hey, if you have a coffee grinder, and capsules, plus a loading device, which I do, why not just order the whole bean and grind your own? Its a lot cheaper, and doesn't require all that much time preparing. You can get capsule loaders for 12, 18, and 24 at a time, and once you have set up the two pieces in the device, it is just a matter of a couple of minutes and you have a bunch of capsules ready to go.

I think I'll order a pound and give it a go.

How does it taste if you put it in your coffee maker and drink it? Not that I really want to try it. Just curious.

As a possible parallel, green tea seems to be healthier than regular "cured" (blackened) tea, even though it's from the same plant. Does green coffee have less caffeine? What about tannic acid?
Ron, if you take the time and watch, or read, some of the information, you will see why green beans are best. Just take a little time and bring yourself up to speed.

The extract I ordered is only $8.00 a bottle, which is up some from a while ago. Dr. Oz mentions something and it jumps off the shelves.
I ordered five pounds of green coffee beans from amazon. I figured if I was going to get some, I might as well also get enough to enjoy drinking too. So I bought this batch: Green Unroasted Jamaican Blue Mountain Style, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag.

[Image: 41yzNIVw-4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

This is not the real McCoy, as that price would not even buy one pound of the Real Deal. I keep a small bag of the real Jamaica Blue Mountain in my freezer. Its whole bean and I drink it when I'm in the right mood. So, its going to be worth checking out just to see how good this blend really is.

Frankly, Jamaica Blue Mountain is definitely the best, better than Royal Kona IMO, but its not worth the outrageous price. If this is as good, this is what I will be drinking on a regular basis. I do love great freshly ground coffee, brewed in a perfectly clean coffee maker, using unbleached coffee filters. I never use those awful bleached white filters. Anyone using white filters is not interested in great flavour.

Anyway, the beans arrived this afternoon, and after inspecting/smelling/tasting the green beans, I brought out the Hamilton Beach coffee grinder, and started grinding the beans into a powder. Now, grinding roasted beans is one thing, and grinding raw green beans is another different animal. The beans are unbelievably hard to grind. In fact, my grinder did the dying cockroach on me after working itself into a stupor. I'm going to have to get a new coffee grinder. But my plastic cover is broken too, so it needs replacing. But I'm going to have to come up with something more heavy duty.

So I did some checking around and while reading some postings I came upon someone recommending the use of a Corona Mill to grind the coffee beans. Suddenly the lights came on, and I would have kicked myself if I could swivel my legs around. I already had a Corona Mill, used for my past all grain brewing hobby. So I went downstairs and looked around all my stored home brewing supplies, but no Corona Mill. Then I remembered that I had loaned it out and it never made its way back home. Rats.

Back to the research. And I think I have found the ideal mill for milling the green coffee beans, or any hard grain for that matter. Its this thing here: Victorio VKP1012 Hand Operated Grain Mill.

[Image: safe_image.php?d=AQBX9bcfCFPw2gtr&url=ht...SL500_.jpg]
[Image: 61FrO-%2BYp6L.jpg]

This thing is really heavy duty and just looks solid. And its a 'mill', not a 'grinder', which is important. A mill will churn out a real flour, which is easier for the stomach to absorb. I already have a "00" Capsule Machine, and a couple thousand empty capsules, so the only stumbling block is grinding the green beans into powder.

Meanwhile, I did have enough powdered green coffee beans to make four 24 capsule batches(96 for the public school crowd S1 ) and have started taking the capsules. I'll do this twice daily and should have enough to do me until the mill comes in.

Anyway, that is where I am at so far. If this works, it will still be a pretty cheap way to make green coffee bean extract, and if it works, Eureka!

I get 800mm pure green coffee bean extracts capsules from Amazon for $6 a bottle. It's one of the cheapest items in my medicine cabinet. When I order it - it is delivered within 2 days. Can't complain. Went to New Jersey this weekend and ate visiting food - still lost 1.6 lbs.
(10-04-2012, 01:06 AM)WmLambert Wrote: I get 800mm pure green coffee bean extracts capsules from Amazon for $6 a bottle. It's one of the cheapest items in my medicine cabinet. When I order it - it is delivered within 2 days. Can't complain. Went to New Jersey this weekend and ate visiting food - still lost 1.6 lbs.

Which ones? Got a link?

MaritzMayer Laboratories. Remember it must say Pure green coffee bean extract.
(10-04-2012, 01:13 AM)WmLambert Wrote: MaritzMayer Laboratories. Remember it must say Pure green coffee bean extract.

If you go and look at the "customer's images" the last shot shows one of this product's capsules and another one that is certified by Dr. Oz. He states that clearly this one is loaded with fillers and not a premium product. Dr Oz stated that it needs to have one of two abbreviations on the bottle for it to be of utmost quality. I've forgotten their exact lettering right now, but would recognize them when I see them.

Bill, the fact that the capsules are so cheap should tell you to be cautious. At Sams Club, it is $19.48 for just 36 capsules. And it is certified to be of top quality.

In my case, I am going right to the source: the green coffee beans. Today I ordered that mill I show above, and it will be here the first of next week. It will be able to make a powder out of the extremely tough green beans. And believe me, they are all kinds of tough.

I've never seen anything like it before. The roasting process really does soften up the bean. It led to my coffee grinder's motor burning up, so I don't recommend going that route, that's for sure. You definitely need a heavy duty mill/grinder that can take the punishment of milling things like dried corn, and other grains.

At the very most, I will be using only about two pounds of the five pound bag, which will fill up several thousand '00' gel caps. Counting the cost of the coffee beans, gel caps, and even the grinder, the cost will still add up to a few pennies per capsule.

I saw the original Oz presentation, and he said the bottle must say Pure in order to be what he endorses, without any fillers. I have not heard about any abbreviations that are necessary beyond that. A bottle can say many things, but every change in color or shape of pill, label, or phraseology can mean an entirely different product than what came before.

When Raspberry Ketone was the Oz sensation of the day, the price of it jumped 1,000 percent overnight. It was off the shelves on the first day, and to increase the availability, the free market price rise came into effect - just like electric generators after a hurricane. Advertising labeling laws are very strict, and no lab selling drugs will use the term "Pure" if it is adulterated. I see many green coffee bean extracts in stores now without the "Pure" caveat - and priced at $30 a shot. Since Green coffee beans are not all that expensive compared to must drug sources, the true price should not be all that high. Adding fillers allow advertising to cite differences between labs and claim secondary effects that may or may not be valid. For instance, adding sugar allows a lab to claim all the effects attributed to placebos. The pills I purchased seem to work, so until I learn otherwise, I am not dissatisfied.
(10-04-2012, 03:06 PM)WmLambert Wrote: I saw the original Oz presentation, and he said the bottle must say Pure in order to be what he endorses, without any fillers. I have not heard about any abbreviations that are necessary beyond that. A bottle can say many things, but every change in color or shape of pill, label, or phraseology can mean an entirely different product than what came before.

When Raspberry Ketone was the Oz sensation of the day, the price of it jumped 1,000 percent overnight. It was off the shelves on the first day, and to increase the availability, the free market price rise came into effect - just like electric generators after a hurricane. Advertising labeling laws are very strict, and no lab selling drugs will use the term "Pure" if it is adulterated. I see many green coffee bean extracts in stores now without the "Pure" caveat - and priced at $30 a shot. Since Green coffee beans are not all that expensive compared to must drug sources, the true price should not be all that high. Adding fillers allow advertising to cite differences between labs and claim secondary effects that may or may not be valid. For instance, adding sugar allows a lab to claim all the effects attributed to placebos. The pills I purchased seem to work, so until I learn otherwise, I am not dissatisfied.

Here is the information I couldn't remember Bill. If you start the video below, and go to the 14:15 mark, you will see that he states that there are loads of fake brands on the market, and two things to look for are the words "SVETOL", or "GCA"

And you will note that the word "Pure" is very misleading, because its used all the time, and can mean whatever anyone wants it to be. And also look for the promise that the pills contain a minimum of 45% Chlorogenic acid.

As for me, I'm going directly to the source, with top quality green coffee beans. I'm going to be grinding them into a flour and stuffing it in capsules that will be ready to ingest. I've done a lot of thinking about this, and for the life of me I cannot see any way this powder is anything other than finely ground green coffee bean. Its expensive because it is a 'ball buster' to grind down, and not just any grinder will do it. Those green coffee beans are the toughest buggers I have ever seen. That's why it destroyed my Hamilton Beach coffee grinder. And that is why I ordered that heavy duty mill above.

If the bean is milled into a fine powder, the stomach acids can easily get to the Chlorogenic Acid, and process it into the body. And if two capsules per time isn't enough, I can always increase my intake. But I don't really think I will need to do that. My only fear is that the green beans will destroy that heavy duty mill. If it does, I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase the finished product. But somehow I think I can get the mill to do the trick.

Here's that video I am talking about: Go to just past the 14 minute mark.

The mill arrived Friday afternoon, which really surprised me. I had just purchased it, and the free shipping was that 5-7 business days things. But it got here quicker anyway, which was great.

Well, yesterday, I went to work on setting up the grinder, and milling all the cracked green coffee beans that my burned out coffee grinder was not able to finish. I quickly learned that there was a definite technique involved in getting the coffee ground and milled well. It took me a while, but I have finally gotten things down pat.

I learned that in order to start off, the actual grinder needs to be loose so the larger parts can make their way into the grinder and be broken down into smaller parts. By loosening the tightness of the handle, this allowed the grinding head to have more play back and forth. And since I was using my cordless drill in place of the actual handle, I had to make certain that the chuck was a bit looser on the handle mechanism.

Once I got used to all that, I quickly managed to break up the coffee beans into smaller parts, and then pass them through again, making them even smaller. After several passes, which took little time, I had the green beans small enough where I could tighten up the mill and make the final pass.

One other thing. As I went along, I also had to push the beans down into the bottom of the hopper, because they tended to stay where they started. I used a long pencil and kept pushing the pencil downward. This pushed the broken beans into the grinder and repeating this got them through the machine quickly. In other words, I held the drill with one hand, and used my leg to press against the drill, while I used my other hand to push the beans into the bottom of the hopper. It took a little coordination but once I got the hang of it, it went very quickly.

The only other problem is that some of the tiny bean pieces tended to get slung out of the catch tray I used for holding all of the milled coffee. Next time I will make something that will keep the tiny pieces from being scattered around.

Anyway, here is what the finished product looked like.

[Image: Bassshoecomparison009.jpg]

[Image: Bassshoecomparison008.jpg]

For some reason, only about half of the post went through, and I lost the rest. Strange. So I'll post another finish right here.

As you can see, there are some less milled particles in the mix. I actually shook the pot and the larger parts came to the surface. But the rest are like real flour. And while I could have skimmed off the top material, and passed it through again, I was lazy and didn't. Shame on me, right? S5

Anyway, out of the material at the bottom of the pot, I was able to fill exactly 357 "00" capsules, packed as tightly as possible. If you look at the amount at the bottom of the pot, it really looks like a tiny amount, but that is an illusion. There really was a lot of bean flour there.

This leaves me the potential of milling enough green coffee beans to produce thousands of capsules filled with green coffee extract. More than enough there to accomplish what I need, PLUS several pounds of roasted premium Arabica that hopefully will taste as good as the Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee bean. If it really does, I'll be buying more of this bean in the future.

Anyway, that is where I have gotten so far. I split the capsules with Michael, since he agreed to go in halves with me on the costs. That cuts my expenses in half, and still more than enough to last for a long, long time. And also more than enough to get a lot of good brews.

Now, my next project will be to take my new popcorn popper, and turn it into a coffee bean roaster so as to enjoy the beans as good coffee. I'll let you know how that comes out.

Here's the second part of this project, which I just finished a few minutes ago. Last week I ordered a coffee roasting drum from Sweet Maria's, and four sample pounds of four different green high quality coffee beans. The drum was a very good price, and was a replacement drum for a Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster.

[Image: behmor-openab650.jpg]

It was a great price of just $10 plus S/H. To make the shipment worth more, I ordered the sample pack as well.

The only problem was that the drum was not a perfect fit for my Hamilton Beach counter oven. The square insert, which goes into the rotisserie drive was too large. About five minutes of using a file, and the end fit nicely in the square hole.

But the other end was the real challenge. The drum was about 1 3/4" too small for the oven rotisserie setup. So I needed to remove the one coming with the drum, and fabricate a replacement. And I did this by going to Lowes, and just walking around, looking for the best of all alternatives. I even went to the plumbing section and inspected parts there.

What I ended up doing was to purchase a 36" aluminum rod, a pack of 8-24 3/4" threaded bolts, and two large washers with tiny holes in the middle. I also purchased one of those open hack saws, where the blade sticks out and you can get it into tight places. I didn't have one of the hack saws, so I figured it was a worthwhile investment.

The other end of the drum had a notched rod for fitting into the oven's notched receptacle on the left wall of the oven. Mine was too small, and I had to somehow make the notch larger. So I tried removing it, but it slipped into the inner walls of the oven, and I had to take the oven apart on that side. That was a real bummer, but finally I got it out, and used my drill to wallow it out large enough to fit the 10-24 threaded bolt. I had put the oven back together again, and when I tried to slip it into the receptacle, it wouldn't work. So I had to take the oven apart again and squeeze my hand into the inside and insert the damned thing. This gave me time to practice a bunch of four letter words I hadn't used for at least twenty-four hours. S5

But finally I got it all back together and checked things out, and the drum fit, but quite tightly. Almost home on this project: Yippee! To check it all out, I fit the drum in the rotisserie notches and turned on the rotisserie drive. It worked,.....................but the aluminum rod was just too tight, causing the notched rod to ride out of the rotisserie notch, the one I had to chase down from inside the oven. It was just a tad too long, so I took the drum downstairs, and hooked up my belt sander, removed the 10-24 bolt at the end, and sanded the rod down about 1/16".

[Image: behmor-sq-rt400.jpg]

[Image: behmor-hook-left400.jpg]
this one is set up with an anti-ride up control. But obviously the drum only turns in one direction. Mine changes direction each time it is turned off and on, so I would need that high notch on both sides. That would make getting the drum in place a problem.

After putting it all back together again, it now works like a charm. Its not evenly centered in the oven, but it still works nicely. I'm now ready to start doing custom roasts to my fresh arabica beans. Once I learn how long to roast the beans for different types of roasts, I will have far more control over how my coffee will come out. And I will have very fresh coffee, fresher than what anyone can get in any store.