Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee Drinkers Live Longer?
Looks like the Health Nazis may be wrong on one more attempt to keep us from enjoying our pleasures: Coffee buzz: Study finds java drinkers live longer. I wonder if there is a list of all the foods that have been touted as bad for health, and then proven just the opposite?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I've been pushing this for years, because this is not the first huge research effort that proves coffee is beneficial. From what I can see, it may be the safest and healthiest drink there is.

Unreported in this singular research is the conclusion in many other ones that coffee may also be the best guard against Alzheimer's.
Here is a repaste of my earlier post on "Coffee is Good for you" that was retired after the last changeover:

Quote:Drinking coffee 'is good for the heart'
By Celia Hall, Medical Editor (Filed: 5/12/2006)

One to three cups of coffee a day may protect people from heart disease and strokes, according to research which contradicts numerous studies that have suggested that coffee is bad for you.

The good news for coffee drinkers comes from a report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and is based on a study of 27,000 older women, followed for 15 years.

It found a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease by about 30 per cent in women who had a moderate intake of coffee. The analysis, part of the Iowa Women's Health Study, found that up to 60 per cent of antioxidants in the diet may come from coffee.

Antioxidants protect cells from damage and reduce the inflammation that encourages arteries to narrow.

Active parts of coffee include caffeine and polyphenols. Polyphenols are also found in red wine and they too have been linked to a reduction in the risk of cardiovascular diseases in people who drink one to three glasses of red wine a day. The researchers in the Iowa study also pointed out that a Scottish survey of 11,000 men and women found that coffee drinking was associated with a reduction in deaths from all causes.

-----------------------------

The Iowa Women's Health Study investigated caffeine intake and postmenopausal breast cancer incidence among 34,388 Iowa women aged 55 to 69. No association was found between coffee and breast cancer. Similarly, a Harvard study of almost 122,000 nurses found that those who drank coffee had lower rates of breast cancer than those who drank no coffee.

A recent study of 61,000 Swedish women over nine years concluded that coffee does not cause colorectal cancer. Several studies have found that coffee drinkers may even have a lower risk of colorectal cancer, but results have not been consistent.

Although some studies have shown that excessive coffee drinking could cause bladder cancer, others have found that it is more likely the excessive smoking along with the coffee that causes this type of cancer.

Caffeine may protect against Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive nervous disease that destroys dopamine-producing brain cells. The resulting symptoms are tremor, a slowing of movement, weakness and facial paralysis. Researchers believe that caffeine’s helpful effect may be that it reduces the amount of dopamine depleted from the brain.

A Harvard School of Public Health study published last May reported that men who drank four to five cups a day of caffeinated coffee cut the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease nearly in half compared to men who consumed little or no caffeine daily. Women who consumed between one and three cups a day also cut their risk of developing Parkinson’s disease nearly when compared to women who drank less than a cup a day. But this apparent benefit was lost at higher levels of intake.

Caffeine and osteoporosis.
Although caffeine causes more calcium to be excreted in the urine, the Osteoporosis Society of Canada says that two or three cups of coffee are not harmful if you get enough calcium in your daily diet. Dietitians recommend drinking a glass of milk for every mug of coffee, or having a café au lait (preferably with skim milk to keep the fat content down).

Caffeine and athletic performance.
Researchers have found that caffeine enhances physical endurance. However, it does not appear to improve short-term high-intensity activities like sprinting. Since it can raise an athlete's metabolic level, international sports organizations limit the amount that can be found in urine.

Caffeine helps relieve headaches.
Caffeine increases the power of ASA and other pain relievers, and is often combined with them to treat headaches.

Coffee may protect against cirrhosis of the liver.
A study at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program in Northern California that looked at seven years of data found that coffee drinking might be protective against alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver. Studies in Italy and Japan have likewise indicated that coffee may prevent cirrhosis of the liver, a disease causing damage and scarring of the liver tissue, and progressive decreasing of liver function.

Caffeine and heart disease.
European studies have shown that coffee consumption may increase serum cholesterol levels. However, that is due not to the caffeine but to substances called “cafestol” and “kahweol” found in the coffee’s oils. When drinking boiled, unfiltered coffee, as more Europeans do, these substances remain. So long as you drink filtered drip coffee or instant coffee, which Canadians typically tend to do, odds are you’re not increasing your serum cholesterol levels. That’s because filters remove most of these substances, as does the process that goes into making instant coffee.
A Harvard study of 45,589 men, published in 1990, found no link between excessive coffee drinking and heart disease.

Caffeine and pregnancy.
In 1980, pregnant women were first warned to avoid caffeine due to concerns that it could result in low-birth-weight and miscarriages — caffeine easily crosses the placenta, and fetuses and newborns don’t have enough of the enzymes needed to metabolize it.

But the low-birth-weight theory has been difficult to prove since maternal smoking, a known cause of low birth weight, can confuse the results of studies.

The association between caffeine and miscarriages continues to be researched, however. Studies have found that while caffeine intake before and during pregnancy appears to be associated with increased miscarriages, several factors could cause a false association, including effects of morning sickness or nausea, the number of cigarettes smoked and amount of alcohol consumed.

The Mother-risk program at The Toronto Hospital for Sick Children analyzed a large number of studies and concluded that there is “a small but statistically significant increase in risk of spontaneous abortion and low-birth-weight babies in pregnant women consuming more than 150 milligrams of caffeine a day,” or more than one to two cups a day, depending on the coffee’s strength.
(05-17-2012, 12:19 PM)WmLambert Wrote: I've been pushing this for years, because this is not the first huge research effort that proves coffee is beneficial. From what I can see, it may be the safest and healthiest drink there is.

Unreported in this singular research is the conclusion in many other ones that coffee may also be the best guard against Alzheimer's.

This is the best coffee pot in the world:
Only problem is that you are required to make the same amount of coffee as rated by the pot as the grounds push back against the steam to build pressure...
[Image: Moka2.jpg]

[Image: MokaCoffeePot.svg]

The boiler (marked A in the diagram) is filled with water almost up to the safety release valve and the funnel-shaped metal filter (B) is inserted. Finely-ground coffee is added to the filter as shown below. Then the upper part (C, which has a second metal filter at the bottom) is tightly screwed onto the base. The pot is placed on a suitable heat source, the water is brought to its boiling point, and thereby steam is created in the boiler.

A gasket ensures a tightly closed unit and allows for pressure to safely build up in the lower section, where a safety valve provides a necessary release in case this pressure should get too high (with clean filters, that should not happen). One preferred method of preparation states that the entire filter should be filled with coffee and placed over medium to medium-high heat.[9]

The steam eventually reaches a high enough pressure to gradually force the surrounding boiling water up the funnel through the coffee powder and into the upper chamber ©, where the coffee is collected. When the lower chamber is almost empty, steam bubbles mix with the upstreaming water, producing a characteristic gurgling noise.

As with percolators, the pot should not be left on the stove so long that the coffee boils. Ideally, with a little practice, it should be removed from the heat before it actually starts gurgling - usually, when only about half of the top chamber has been filled.

[edit] Moka coffee vs. drip coffee

The flavor of Moka pot coffee depends greatly on bean variety, roast level, fineness of grind, and the level of heat used. Due to the higher than atmospheric pressure involved, the mixture of water and steam reaches temperatures well above 100 °C, causing a more efficient extraction of caffeine and flavors from the grounds, and resulting in a stronger brew than that obtained by drip brewing.

[edit] Moka coffee vs. espresso coffee

Moka pots are sometimes referred to as stove-top espresso makers and produce coffee with an extraction ratio similar to that of a conventional espresso machine. Depending on bean variety and grind selection, Moka pots can create a foam emulsion, known as crema. However, the maximum pressure for coffee extraction which can be achieved with a Moka pot is 1.5 bar[citation needed]. According to the Italian Espresso National Institute and the Specialty Coffee Association of America, an espresso must be made using a precise extraction pressure of 9 bar.[10][11] So, while a Moka coffee pot can produce a crema similar to espresso's, different equipment is required to make a true espresso.

[edit] Maintenance

Moka pots require periodic replacement of the rubber seal and the filters, and a check that the safety release valve is not blocked.

After use, a thin coat of oily coffee residue is left lining the interior of the stems, filters and upper chamber. It is said to be desirable to retain this residue, as it subsequently prevents coffee from acquiring an unpleasant metallic taste through contact with the aluminum wall.[12]

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
My 25-Year Anniversary Special Mr. Coffee makes the best Kona Coffee I've ever tasted. I ruin it with Vanilla caramel creamer, but it tastes really good. 12 cups a pot only makes three servings, though. That Moka pot doesn't look big enough for a garden gnome.
Wm, are you saying you consider four cups to be a single serving?
(05-18-2012, 11:20 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Wm, are you saying you consider four cups to be a single serving?

For some reason, a 'cup' is considered 6 ounces, which leads one to wonder whether whoever set this, was playing with a full deck. But even worse, those 'so called' 6oz cups are really more like 4.5ozs, After it drips through the grounds and filter.

So a decent plastic mug, with removable top, is almost always a 12oz container. In all fairness to your brother, he is talking 'real life' and you are talking 'ideal circumstances'.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I have a friend who discussed the obesity epidemic in America, and blamed it on RC Cola.

Doug Wrote:...In 1957, ‘Double Cola’… increased its bottle size from large being 12 oz. to a new bottle 16 oz. Back then nobody cared because no kids drank pop in the 1950’s only in the summer. They drank white milk in school and at home for dinner. In the early 1960’s… ‘Double Cola’ started advertising their new large 16 oz. bottle on the Johnny Ginger TV show, Poopdeck Paul TV show… which were programs that played the 3 stooges and/or Popeye cartoons in the mornings before we left the house for school or after dinner at 5:30PM on Channel 7 WXYZ. Every kid in 1960, 1961, and 1962 watched the 3 stooges eating cereal in the morning and after dinner. The Double Cola song was catchy and I can still remember it now as it programmed all us kids that there were 3 glasses in every 16 oz. bottle of Double Cola… and we were all sucked in to buying it after playing baseball because it was bigger than Pepsi or Coke or Royal Crown at 12 oz. I think RC also had a 16 oz. shortly after but it was double colas ads on TV and their jungle that programmed us. This is the root cause of obesity in this country because this is what sparked the sugar industry with the pop industry to move forward.

Then in 1962 and 1963… Pepsi and Coke to keep up with the increased sales of Double Cola and RC… changed their bottles to 16 oz. I have it pictured below. This is the bottle that I drank many of and it was the best when you were hot and sweaty after playing baseball for 3 or 4 hours then raced down to the drug store to buy it for 13 cents plus 2 cents for bottle. We sat on the sidewalk by our bikes in front of the store until everyone drank theirs and then we all went inside to get our 2 cents back for the empty bottle. This pop was the best and was made with real sugar not the fructose scam we have today. Get this…NO ONE WENT INSIDE AND EVER BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE!!! THERE WERE NO REFILLS BECAUSE 16 OZ. WAS ALL THAT ANYONE COULD HANDLE! FURTHERMORE, OUR MOTHERS DID NOT HAVE POP AT HOME IN THE FRIG SO WE WENT TO THE STORE…. GOT THAT?

Well you know the story, the increase in size, the Pepsi Generation TV marketing scheme, and McDonalds and Burger King starting the Fast Food Industry in the late sixties. Then Coca Cola experts started placing Coke products in every restaurant, establishment, etc. The non-returnable bottles then came in stores… etc… then plastic thin wall bottles and the 20 oz. sizes… the 32 to 48 ounce 7-11 Store sizes and the refillable pops in restaurants and in places like Panera…. Unbelievable! Then the diet drink industry starting with ‘TAB’ and ‘FRESCA’ in the late 1960’s with a new sweetener called aspartame which actually rots your brain and causes you to gain weight instead of losing weight.

I have said enough but I don’t think Coke would have increased their king size Coke to 16 oz. because they already increased it from 8 oz or 10 oz. bottles in the 1950’s to the king size 12oz and knew the dangers of what it would do in your stomach if you drank too much. So the baby boomers in the 1960’s after watching the 3 stooges on TV, saw a larger bottle advertised and went and bought it.. This caused the Pepsi-Coke folks to take it around the world and most of the kids today and many adults have their lips resting on the top of a bottle or a paper cup of the fake sugar drink 4 to 10 times a day and hundreds and hundreds of pounds of raw sugar in their stomach & guts every year!!!
[Image: 120518beelertoon_c20120518110817.jpg]

Say goodby to coffee if Romney becomes president. No doubt he'll force the dogmas of his religion upon every American.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
(05-27-2012, 11:58 AM)quadrat Wrote: Say goodby to coffee if Romney becomes president. No doubt he'll force the dogmas of his religion upon every American.

Are you speaking from experience, as a young DDR Pioneer?

Banning smoking, gay sex, hetero sex, coffee, alcohol, abortions requires nutcases of an order the communists never had. That's the realm of Hitler, and American Christians.
Why do I suspect 'selective memory' occurring here "Q"? Of is 'collective memory' more appropriate?

Last time I drank a cup of coffee, it caused my angina pain to flare up.
(05-29-2012, 01:38 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Last time I drank a cup of coffee, it caused my angina pain to flare up.

Does this mean you are the exception that proves the rule? S5

I think caffeine should be regarded as a medicine, not as a nutrient.
No, Ron. It may be the healthiest drink there is.

Too much water can kill you. Everything in moderation - except coffee... research seems to show the more coffee you drink, the healthier you get.
That sounds rather contrary to all the studies I have ever heard about. I will concede there may be times when we need a stimulant like caffeine. But I cannot accept the idea that caffeine makes anyone healthier. Just go off caffiene completely for a week, after you have been using it heavily for a long time, and see how you feel. The withdrawal symptoms are not minor. I have experienced them. They'll lay you out with headaches and mental and physical fatigue. It takes four or five days before you get over them, and are capable of functioning like a normal human being again.

When you use caffeine, you are borrowing from your energy reserve for tomorrow. Borrow enough of tomorrow's energy reserve, and you will eventually come to find that you have no energy reserve left. How can that be healthy? It may seem healthy for a while, until your house of cards collapses.

Seventh-day Adventists were given what we believe is divine guidance on this subject over 120 years ago by Ellen G. White, who said in the book, Christian Temperance and Bible Hygiene (1890), p. 31:
Quote:Tea and coffee produce an immediate effect. Under the influence of these poisons the nervous system is excited; and in some cases, for the time being, the intellect seems to be invigorated, the imagination more vivid. Because these stimulants produce such agreeable results, many conclude that they really need them; but there is always a reaction. The nervous system has borrowed power from its future resources for present use, and all this temporary invigoration is followed by a corresponding depression. The suddenness of the relief obtained from tea and coffee is an evidence that what seems to be strength is only nervous excitement, and consequently must be an injury to the system.

On page 34 of the same book, she said:
Quote:Coffee is a hurtful indulgence. It temporarily excites the mind to unwonted action, but the after-effect is exhaustion, prostration, paralysis of the mental, moral, and physical powers. The mind becomes enervated, and unless through determined effort the habit is overcome, the activity of the brain is permanently lessened.

In an article in the Review and Herald, Jan. 25, 1881 (and reproduced in her book, Counsels on Diet and Foods): she states:
Quote:"Abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul," is the language of the apostle Peter. Many regard this warning as applicable only to the licentious; but it has a broader meaning. It guards against every injurious gratification of appetite or passion. It is a most forcible warning against the use of such stimulants and narcotics as tea, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, and morphine. These indulgences may well be classed among the lusts that exert a pernicious influence upon moral character. The earlier these hurtful habits are formed, the more firmly will they hold their victim in slavery to lust, and the more certainly will they lower the standard of spirituality.

This statement is from her book, Ministry of Healing (1905), p. 326:
Quote:Tea acts as a stimulant, and, to a certain extent, produces intoxication. The action of coffee and many other popular drinks is similar. The first effect is exhilarating. The nerves of the stomach are excited; these convey irritation to the brain, and this in turn is aroused to impart increased action to the heart, and short-lived energy to the entire system. Fatigue is forgotten, the strength seems to be increased. The intellect is aroused, the imagination becomes more vivid.

Because of these results, many suppose that their tea or coffee is doing them great good. But this is a mistake. Tea and coffee do not nourish the system. Their effect is produced before there has been time for digestion and assimilation, and what seems to be strength is only nervous excitement. When the influence of the stimulant is gone, the unnatural force abates, and the result is a corresponding degree of languor and debility.

The continued use of these nerve irritants is followed by headache, wakefulness, palpitation of the heart, indigestion, trembling, and many other evils, for they wear away the life forces. Tired nerves need rest and quiet instead of stimulation and overwork. Nature needs time to recuperate her exhausted energies. When her forces are goaded on by the use of stimulants, more will be accomplished for a time; but as the system becomes debilitated by their constant use, it gradually becomes more difficult to rouse the energies to the desired point. The demand for stimulants becomes more difficult to control, until the will is overborne, and there seems to be no power to deny the unnatural craving. Stronger and still stronger stimulants are called for, until exhausted nature can no longer respond.

Here is one more of many similar statements; this one from her article in the Review and Herald, Feb. 21, 1888 (and reproduced in her book, Counsels on Diet and Foods):
Quote:The stimulating diet and drink of this day are not conducive to the best state of health. Tea, coffee, and tobacco are all stimulating, and contain poisons. They are not only unnecessary, but harmful, and should be discarded if we would add to knowledge, temperance.
(05-31-2012, 12:57 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: The stimulating diet and drink of this day are not conducive to the best state of health. Tea, coffee, and tobacco are all stimulating, and contain poisons. They are not only unnecessary, but harmful, and should be discarded if we would add to knowledge, temperance.
Ron, that's where you and the Mormons agree 100%. Ban tea, coffee, and tobacco because they contain ungodly harmful poisons. Where you differ, is if Adolf should be baptized or not.
Poison is a misleading term. Like I said too much water can kill you. A little Burger King, McDonald's, or Wendy's may just inoculate you from the environment, neh?

Remember, Rodale died of a heart attack while on The Dick Cavett Show. being healthy is good, but good Hawaiian coffee is well worth drinking - and research shows you will live longer.