Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiny Houses
I came across this yesterday. I have to admit that the concept of "Tiny Houses" has me intrigued.

One of the things I am finding is that as I get older, the less space I actually need. In fact, I am slowly beginning to downsize everything. I'm getting rid of 'stuff' that is just 'stuff'. I don't buy things anymore, unless I really need it. And other than my basement shop, I really don't need any more than a kitchen, bath, and bedroom. I don't even use the living room any more. All that 'stuff' could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it.

Has anyone been aware of this growing trend? And if the economy does not improve, will it mushroom? I could actually build something like a tiny house on wheels, and live at my daughter's house, and travel to the mountains, or wherever I wanted. I would have my own privacy, but not have to put up with all the 'stuff' I currently have around.

Some Youtube videos of Tiny Houses

Short version

Long version

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Cool idea ... here's a local story ...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/307...etail.html

Gotta draw the line at choosing to poop in a bucket though (at least not while camping) ...

Quote:"It’s just a five-gallon bucket that you put peat moss and sawdust in,” Smith said. “You'd be surprised how well it works and how much it doesn't smell.”
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Did you see their Facebook photo series about building it?

Here's something I noticed about all these tiny homes on wheels. If you look at all of them, they only go out as far as the frame. But they could easily go out to the wheel, and gain at least six to nine inches on each side, which would be enough to allow for a decent stairway on one side of the inner wall. A stairwell would be very nice, especially for someone getting older, and who would find it much more difficult to go up and back down a ladder.

That extra foot, or so, would be a decided advantage, and not take up any more width on the highway when traveling.

Oh, another thing. Almost all of these tiny houses on wheels are constructed from much heavier building materials than what can be found. For instance, I would think that metal studs, and lighter inner walls, would take off a lot of weight to the home. And total weight is going to make a difference if the tiny home is going to be used for traveling.

As for the potty, my guess is that this niche is going to stimulate much better design for the perfect potty to be used in this home, or even larger ones that still would qualify as a small home. I saw one cabin that was 20' X 20' and it had a stair casing, and regular fixtures, including sewage, water, and electricity.

Also, a tiny home would require very little energy to keep warm in the winter, or cool in the summer.

This fellow has some great ideas. My only problem with him is when he starts mentioning the environment and greenhouse gases. I wonder if he believes all that crap, or is just trying to get the hippy crowd to buy his home plans?

He is being interviewed here about his company, Tumbleweed Tiny House Company.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Large houses are often useless. of course the other extreme brings a lack of confort but the right size is rather small than big.

I have a big house, because I need room for some activities but I regret it's that big because of constant repair, maintenance, cleaning, repainting, etc.
It's endless. it's ike you fix one thing on one side, another thing broke at the other side.
One day it's a light bulb to replace, another day it's door that doesn't close properly or some work in the garden that you can't reasonably delay anymore.
(04-22-2012, 03:39 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Large houses are often useless. of course the other extreme brings a lack of confort but the right size is rather small than big.

I have a big house, because I need room for some activities but I regret it's that big because of constant repair, maintenance, cleaning, repainting, etc.
It's endless. it's ike you fix one thing on one side, another thing broke at the other side.
One day it's a light bulb to replace, another day it's door that doesn't close properly or some work in the garden that you can't reasonably delay anymore.

I'm with John when it comes to the constant environmental greenhouse gas banging of drums, but with that being said, there seems to be some tremendous waste in the way we go about living these days. Most new homes in my area are not necessarily McMansions, however, they still run in the $400-500K range with typically 3000 sq. ft. and up, but with what looks like pretty cheap construction. If you go back to the larger houses that were built in the early 1900s, these can often and easily be converted to condos or apartments. Today's version, not so much. When these wear out after 30-40 years or so (consider the half life of particle board and plastic), they will need to be torn down. I'm tired of being hammered at every turn about sustainability ... but this doesn't sound very sustainable ... or at the very least a very prudent investment.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
The steel roof would make them not roadworthy in Ontario.
Update: Looks like I was wrong, the 2012 12 wide trailers now have metal roofs.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
??

Seems like it would be the other way around. Travel trailers have had metal roofs forever ... now pulling a "mobile home" that could leave a trail of asphalt shingles on the road if the wrong roofing nails were used ... THAT seems like it would be of more concern to a transportation czar ... or whatever you guys got in the Great White Northe.
-- Henry Mencken
Here's another reason why people are eagerly heading toward tiny homes,.......and RVs. The economy is terrible and people are walking away from their mortgages in masses. No wonder these things look so good. There is no mortgage to pay.

This guy, living in LA, grabbed up this RV on Craigslist, and is getting ready for the Big One.

This young woman is living permanently in her RV.

And here is another woman doing the same thing.

Things have gotten so bad, economy wise, that the number of homeless is staggering. So they are downsizing,.......if they can. Four more years of the Bamster and the entire thing is going to crash completely. In fact, I don't know if Romney can stop the bleeding.

The funny part here is that whatever the local KOA is charging these days even these folks are probably still global "1% ers" ... unlikely to remain true if Obama is re-elected and we succumb to some sort of U.N. mandated global 'fairness' (equalized misery) tax, but at least for the moment, it's important to consider how lucky we have it in this country. Where we can actually 'choose' these sorts of lifestyles for ourselves ... v.s. having them (or much worse) mandated for us via fiat. Seriously, I'm not sure that there is another nation in the world where people can choose to live in what amounts to a cleverly engineered gypsy wagon and not have people throwing rocks through their windows. Anybody got any offerings on that?
-- Henry Mencken
Interesting - but I've seen the opposite. Homes everywhere that I can see are being designed with more space - not less. In Nevada, the houses all have nine-foot walls or higher, because the hot environment demands it. Even with AC, there must be high ceiling fans going constantly.

But now that I'm back in Michigan, I see the same nine-foot walls and open-design. Part is that like George Carlin said, a house is just a place to keep our stuff. You may cut back on unnecessary stuff - but it is still the name of the game with most people that the more stuff you have the better you are doing. We may cut back on the cheap stuff - but the quality goes up as the quantity goes down.

But then again, I was dismayed at houses in Nevada and Tennessee, where the ground is rocky, that didn't have basements. How does one store anything without clutter without it.
I think I could handle a small home down here. I would require a larger home if we were to move back north -winter cabin fever.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
A trailer inside, a garden store in the outside. How poeple can call that a house without laughing, I don't know.
Here's another interesting example of imagination and a tiny home: The HemLoft.

My guess is that his breaking the law will end with the dismantling of the HemLoft. But he will have gained notoriety from the entire process.

If I had a girlfriend like that I would also build a house in a tree... S5
I have yet to figure out where they are going to sleep in the treehouse. They would have to lay down mats and wrap themselves around the tree in the middle. There is not enough room for a real bed anywhere that I could see.

IMO, before living in there you should take astronaut training.
Here is a very interesting apartment, and how this lady uses minimal space.

No offense, but I've seen better use of space in University dorm-rooms, with two or three room-mates sharing space.

There is a building in Amsterdam, that is known as the world's narrowest, that I would love to see into someday.
[Image: Amsterdam_and_Holland-1663578.jpeg]
Just rented a house with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a large sunroom, and porch, big garden with hundreds of plants, and a fish pond. 250 Euro rent. Space is replaced by nothing but more space. Got us two dogs, finally. Missed to live without one.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Here's another interesting small space, which has been tweaked to obtain the maximum efficiency from it. As I get older, I like the idea of a small place that is easy to keep up with. Eventually I will be downsizing into something that is easier to handle.

What is interesting is that ten years ago, I would have scoffed as such things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...0qATsyts#!