Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt: Is it Really Bad for our Health?................
..............or is it just overblown, and over-regulated?

Everyone knows that excess salt is bad for the heart, right? Doctors tell us all the time, and the government keeps trying to force food companies to limit it's amount in their foods. In fact there is more regulation coming down the pike, in an attempt to do what government does best: make life harder, and more costly, for food makers.

Now Melinda Wenner Moyer , in Scientific American, says "It's Time to End the War on Salt. Good article, and will make you think about the conflicting sides, and how it affects your health, and your pocketbook.

Also, is the prospect of danger simply a case of correlation, or really causation?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

This has been known for ages.
I have this on my cooking forum for ages too.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
Then why do doctors constantly harp on this?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Because they like to panic you and keep you coming back to spend money.

People out west in the desert areas carry salt and water all the time. When I was in SD I craved salt because it was so dry there. No humidity sucks the life out of you. I carried water and drank 3x's as much as I do living here. You need salt to live.
[Image: PancakeBunny.jpg] I have no idea what you're talking about so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head
I used to eat sunflower seeds like crazy at work and I did observe a drastic blood pressure increase one evening, so I stopped. They're loaded with salt though.
Palladin--try raw sunflower seeds. No salt needed. They have a faintly sweet taste, which makes them good to include in cookie, cake, and cracker recipés. Or eat by the handful. Then all you have to worry about healthwise is all the sunflower seed oil you are consuming.

I read once that human beings are virtually the only mammal that is able to excrete large amounts of salt in our perspiration. This means our bodies can to a large extent regulate the salt level in the bloodstream. And if you sweat a lot, you can easily reach the point where you actually need to consume salt, such as in the form of a salt pill, used by people who do hard work out in the hot sun for hours at a time. (In the past, when I have chanced to engage in such work--ahem, in my younger years--I could tell when I needed salt when salt water tasted sweet to me.)

I use salt in everything I eat. hell I have a salt shaker sitting on my desk right now for all those times where I ate at the computer while I worked.

yet I've never had any salt-related health issues....
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!
NOTE: we have three threads on this subject. And I have attempted to merge them together several times, but the software won't let me, no matter how I try to accomplish it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a nice article about the health misconceptions about salt. And what makes this different from recent ones is the possibility of just how important minerals found in natural salt play a part in one's health.

CDC Admits Long-Standing Error in Medical Science - There Is No Benefit In Reducing Salt Intake And It May Even Be Dangerous

I think Dave Mihalovic may be on to something here. Processed salt producers remove all of the minerals in order to obtain that pure white appearance. But in doing this, they have to take out the very things we require for sustained health.

Here's another take on all this: Dietetically incorrect: Salt edition.

I rarely use table salt any longer. I always buy ice cream salt, which is really just rock salt. When I make stews, cook rice/pasta, or other things, I always toss in enough rock salt instead of pouring iodized salt. Its just something I have been doing for years now.

The big hype today is the 'sea salt' advantages. But sea salt is really nothing more than salt that originated from the ocean. And rock salt also comes from deposits of sea salt, that have been mined. So I can't see any difference, except the inflated costs. Does anyone know of any differences?

The first of John's articles indicates that some individuals may have blood pressure spikes due to salt and others don't. High blood pressure is well correlated with stroke and heart disease. Only 6.5K people were studied. I would like to see a more broad or refined study. Do the people who have a spike in blood pressure after eating a good bit of salt have associated deleterious maladies? That seems the relevant question. If the blood pressure spike entails no real risk, then high salt intake is inconsequential.

In comparison, not all smokers get lung cancer, in fact most (by far) do not. While I think it is fine for people to smoke if they wish, I do not because there are too many positive correlations with other diseases or problems. Yet the world is insane about smoking; a deleterious intellectual fad.

The second article seems content free.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
(07-12-2013, 07:52 AM)John L Wrote: NOTE: we have three threads on this subject. And I have attempted to merge them together several times, but the software won't let me, no matter how I try to accomplish it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, pm me all the links to what you want merged.
Tell me exactly which one you want the other two merged INTO.
(07-15-2013, 07:05 AM)Joan Wrote:
(07-12-2013, 07:52 AM)John L Wrote: NOTE: we have three threads on this subject. And I have attempted to merge them together several times, but the software won't let me, no matter how I try to accomplish it.

John, pm me all the links to what you want merged.
Tell me exactly which one you want the other two merged INTO.

I wanted to merge these two into this one, since they are saying the same thing.

War On Salt

Salt: another myth shattered?