Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The walking dead tv series on AMC
it's airing right now.

for those who love zombie series and action, watch it now. or just catch it later on hulu. S1
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!
I saw it last week. It's a great show, I hope Season 2 has more than 6 episodes!
Thought it was new tonight?

I meant to watch it, but ended up going out to dinner with my son and his girlfriend instead.
[Image: SalmaHayekcopy.jpg]
It looks like a cool series. I'm not sure how ghoullio saw it last week, I thought tonight was the premier.

Maybe zombies will overtake vampires in pop culture. Until somebody makes a zombie movie about sparkley emotive unrequited zombie love.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Zombies are poised to overtake the dumb vampires and will soon take their rightful place at the head of the fantasy table.

seriously, is anyone else sick of freakin vampires??

Oh, and I saw it last week because I'm friends with Doc Brown and he lets me use his Delorean from time to time.

That, or I found a copy of The Walking Dead on the internet two weeks before it was on TV.
As a side note, I'm looking forward to reading "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith. I hear it's a zombie love story of sorts...
[Image: PrideAndPrejudiceAndZombies-thumb-300x455-12050.jpg]
I've heard about that book.

on one hand I'm appalled that they would touch the classics like that...

but on the other hand, the characters were kind of boring and annoying in the original. in this one, at least the women learn how to kick ass against zombies. S6 The women are even seen openly discussing whenever carrying firearms would be unladylike or not, and discussing Safety VS looking ladylike. far more interesting!

And it did get me wondering just how much of our history and our current viewpoint would be affected if zombies had been around for such a long time, espeically during that time period.

Instead of people freaking out during an massive zombie outbreak people might be saying today: "eh, this happened before. Just keep your wits about you, and it'll blow over once we get this back under control again. Just don't get bitten or scratched, and you'll be fine!"

and just imagine how it would affect the future of architecture--not only we would need to deal with building fire-proof, flood-proof and quake-proof buildings depending on where you live, you'd need to make it Zombie-proof too.

one thing for sure, I imagine there wouldn't be so much drama over the average homeowner keeping firearms. Hell, I imagine they'd be teaching gun and weapon safety in the first grade to the wee kiddies.

"Now, Guns and knives are not for playing around with! But if you see the walking dead around, you need to know how to use this in case your mommy and daddy aren't around. So all you have to do is..."
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
oh, and all those nuclear bunkers and fallout shelters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_Shelter

I bet you that they would had been far more popular in the 50's when the cold war was happening, and those personal fallout shelters wouldn't only belong to those pariniod survalists.
everyone and their dog would have them.
maybe even featuring far more earlier in our society than normal as seeing people wouldn't only worry about nuclear blasts or wars... they'd be using it constantly in cases of the occasional zombie outbreaks and stuff.

in today's Home and Garden TV channel you wouldn't see them raving about how an home needed an finished basement to be a desirable home-- they'd be raving about comfortable, stylish fallout shelters instead.
"Every home needs one... if you have one on your property, your values go up!"

And in case you had the unfortunate luck to be at work instead of at home during a zombie outbreak, you'd just have to head to the nearby government-approved public fallout shelter guarded by soldiers who were fully prepped to take on zombies, just not regular troublemakers.
I am really, really, trying to see just what is so attractive about watching zombie movies. I'm sorry, but I find it a total turn-off. There is Absolutely NO chance of zombies existing, so why not become interested in the possible?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

What happened to good old escapism for entertainments sake John? Why does EVERYTHING have to possible before you can enjoy it? It just take some imagination to enjoy zombie movies.
John L Wrote:There is Absolutely NO chance of zombies existing, so why not become interested in the possible?

Famous last words...

Zombies Take New York City

[Image: AP101026114237.jpg]
actually zombies are closer to being possible than you would think.

You see there's different types of Zombies besides the walking dead variety, although that one is the most popular.

it's impossible for the dead to come back to life, but one can become a zombie of the other kind.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-s...appen.html Read this.

but then on the other hand, there's also this counter-argument saying that while Zombies of the living variety could happen, it's impossible for an outbreak to happen on a mass scale:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-s...ickly.html
The spiritual aspect of a zombie apocalypse is improbable. NOTHING is impossible.

An outbreak of a virus that causes zombie-like symptoms is entirely possible.

The zombies in Zombie Land are entirely different than the zombies in the Night of the Living Dead.

The bible states that in the end of days, the dead shall walk the Earth.
Something else I've been thinking about: After enough time has passed, the organs and the flesh of the undead will rot off and the zombie horde will eventually become an army of walking skeletons. Within two years, we would be fighting nothing but bones, unless enough people continue to be bitten.

AM, regarding your theory of the impact of zombies on history, think about the armor that knights wore in medieval times. Anyone sent out to do battle with zombies would probably don some heavy armor so as to protect from zombie bites. This might lead to a suit of armor for every household in a given country.
oh yeah. I forgot about the armor bit... I can't believe it. Especially since how I actually had myself wearing armor in my fantasy zombie survival plan.

I still have my lacrosse armor laying around and they're pretty damn tough. in the cases of an zombie outbreak, I'm gonna wear it outside on a daily basis. S1

so wearing armor would definitely reduce the chances of being bitten or scratched.

Say, do you think family crests and symbols would make a comeback with personal armors? I could see people personalizing their own armor to be able to tell each other apart in case something happened despite the armor.
Aurora Moon Wrote:oh yeah. I forgot about the armor bit... I can't believe it. Especially since how I actually had myself wearing armor in my fantasy zombie survival plan.

I still have my lacrosse armor laying around and they're pretty damn tough. in the cases of an zombie outbreak, I'm gonna wear it outside on a daily basis. S1

so wearing armor would definitely reduce the chances of being bitten or scratched.

Say, do you think family crests and symbols would make a comeback with personal armors? I could see people personalizing their own armor to be able to tell each other apart in case something happened despite the armor.

I think a coat of arms is definitely important. You may need to highlight how many zombies you have killed, how long you and your clan have been alive, how many you have lost to the zombies, etc. A family crest may help identify you as human in the midst of a city or something. People will want to rally behind the leaders who prove themselves most adept at killing zombies. A sigil may be found at a site with a lot of slain zombies which would indicate to other survivors that there is a force of arms in the area. If a zone has been cleared of zombies, you may want to prove it by putting your sigil on a sign post or something, somethig to prove that an effective resistance has been mounted.

People always want to brag about their accomplishments, none more so than the zombie apocalypse. The thing separating WWZ than other apocalypse scenarios is that people will leant to band together, they will rally to each other to fight the horde, in all other apocalyptic futures, people separate and hide fro mone another for survival.

Im now going to have to design my family crest and add it to my zombie survival plan.
In 28 Days Later, Frank had a full set of armor/riot gear he was using against the zombies. He shows up on the stairs of his apartment building in it. Riot shield plus full face shield. I think I'd like goggles under the shield too just to be sure.
A face shield is very important. Any saliva or fluids leaking from open wounds of a zombie could lead to infection. gas masks probably are not effective, given the field of vision is reduced to a great degree. I think it would be cool to don one of those old timey divers helmets, one of those heavy cast iron suckers. You wouldn't be able to see much, but you could wear one of those and wade through a horde of undead without a care in the world. Maybe equip yourself with a flame thrower and you could sure wipe out a lot of zombies...

A riot shield would also be handy.
John: I think the zombie apocalypse is attractive for much the same reason any end of the world scenario is attractive. Fewer people in our way and lots of free stuff.

The fact that zombies are funny and morbid and just a touch horrifying adds spice to the tedium of survival.

Plus who hasn't thought out Zombie traps? Like mouse traps but with humans instead of cheese. Maybe you lure them off a cliff or into a room with a rebar-mesh ceiling that you can spearfish them from above.

Lotsa cool things one can do to zombies.

And let's not forget the ever popular... Zomboni.
[Image: Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Hunter.jpg]

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a book from Seth Grahame-Smith, the writer of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. In it, the sixteenth President of the United States hunts down some bloodsuckers, and kills his mother. Twilight this ain’t! Expect Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter to hit theaters in the summer of 2012.

On Zombies vs Vampires: Vampires are sexual, Zombies are asexual. Thus, Vampires are more appealing to the sex-obsessed younger generation; but once you reach the point when a good meal trumps screwing, you learn to appreciate the raw beauty of a Zomb. The third stage is when even craving for food wanes... then all that remains is the hoping for an ELE. Wink1
Sodomia delenda est