Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Backpack?
Well? Am I the only enthusiast here really?
I use a light backpack on long hikes.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
Well, where do you hike? Tell us tales, share your adventures. I am tied up multitasking at the moment, but I promise to share photos of many of my hikes and backpacking trips.
I'm sure my hikes pale in comparison to yours.
Florida is mostly flat, and the hilly areas arnt that tough either. The main stressors are heat coupled with humidity, biting bugs, and snakes.
Sometimes I hike on horse trails which have thick loose "sugar sand" that is a real bitch to walk on.
My usual mainenance hike is about six miles. Sometimes I'll go to a hilly location (Brooksville) and hike for about 15 miles. I have a 20 mile planed for the winter.
My backpack is a light weight thing I got at Walmart years ago. I'll pack lots of water, some snacks, maybe a sub sandwich, and some survival stuff.
I hike for exercise and my photography hobby.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
I love nature hikes but unfortunately the majority of mine were either some short of goal hike on a popular trail, school trips or back-country/hiking to work site for MCC. Some of the MCC stuff was really awesome but having all the heavy gear and tools made it a bit less enjoyable.
Birthday September 14
I did it in the early 70's, a buddy and I would go back in the bush 8 or 9 miles for several days of fly fishing. We used topographical maps and compass to reach lakes and streams that were only assessable by foot. Fishing was fantastic, so were the moose and black bears.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary
The last time I did a lot of backpacking, was in the winter of 1969,.....in north Georgia, courtesy of Uncle Sam. It's called Ranger School, and it was all done on one "C" a day. That year I probably learned more about the Georgia mountains than most people living there.

I haven't done any serious backpacking since. And to tell you the truth, I haven't really had any serious desire to do it again. Wink1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz